PDA

View Full Version : Lesco or Scag Walk Behinds

Jess
11-19-2004, 09:03 PM
I am not in the landscape business, just a crazy homeowner that likes your professional opinions. I look at this site fairly frequently.

I am in the market for a 36" belt driven walk behind. I was sure I wanted a Scag but, I was driving past a Lesco dealer the other day and saw one of their mowers. Not knowing much about commercial mowers I feel the quality of the Lesco is right up there with the Scag. I asked the salesman "how the Lesco compares with the Scag?" He told me, "they are both made by the same company." I also asked him if I had to repair the Lesco, where do I take it? He told me the Scag dealer will use the same parts on the Lesco as they do with the Scag.

What do you guys think Scag or Lesco? Is the salesman accurate?
I am now leaning towards the Lesco.

The Scag's price is $3000.00. The Lesco is $2050.

Thanks

paponte
11-19-2004, 09:09 PM
#1 Scag does not make Lesco machines. They are made by Cub Cadet.
#2 they are built nothing like a Scag, not even close.
#3 as a homeowner you might consider the Lesco due to a cheaper price, and would still be suitable for you. as far as repair, most of the parts a mower shop should be able to get. If not, good luck with Lesco service. That's if they even offer it by you. Scag owns their own steel company, therefore their machines are built like tanks. :)

DSIM
11-19-2004, 09:19 PM
#3 as a homeowner you might consider the Lesco due to a cheaper price, and would still be suitable for you. as far as repair, most of the parts a mower shop should be able to get. If not, good luck with Lesco service. That's if they even offer it by you. Scag owns their own steel company, therefore their machines are built like tanks. :)

I beg to differ, although they are not built by Scag the Lesco mowers are also built like tanks. They are pretty much the same. Lesco is about as heavy duty as they come.
I have owned two belt drive w/b's over a period of 7 years and they never let me down.

I would go with the Lesco and save $$.

ChadA
11-19-2004, 09:19 PM
I to was recently debating on a 36" scag or lesco. I was on my way to buy the lesco, only because it was $850 cheaper ( I liked the Scag much better but it was to much) Anyway, on the way there I saw an Exmark dealer so I stopped. I've seen many Exmarks all over town and heard they were very good machines. They had a 36" belt drive W/B for $1799. About $200 cheaper than the Lesco. And there made by the same company that makes Toro. Anyway to make a long story short. There prices were so good i ended up getting a 48" W/B for $2699. Not to shabby. I would research more until you find exactly what fit you best. Check for Toro, Exmark, Gravely, John Deere and any other brand you can think of. Ask to try them out. See which one feels best.

rob1325
11-19-2004, 09:21 PM

He hit it right on. Scag is def. a better machine of the two, IMO. Built a lot stronger.

tiedeman
11-19-2004, 09:21 PM
I have to agree, they are pretty much the same. I would say almost 70 to 80% of the parts on them are the exact same

Metro Lawn
11-19-2004, 09:44 PM
I use to own both brands. I have to admit that the Scag was built a bit heavier, which is great for our business. The Lesco was also built very well and actually gave a nicer cut and striped better than the Scag. I would not hesitate to buy a Lesco again. I just wouldn't buy a belt drive again, no matter the make.

LawnSmith
11-19-2004, 09:52 PM
SCAG

Simply The Best.

hole in one lco
11-19-2004, 10:06 PM
Im a lesco fan if you buy the scag your buying the name why pay for words :)

Green Care
11-19-2004, 10:23 PM
He was wrong or you misunderstood him. Scag Hydro is what you want.

wriken
11-19-2004, 10:26 PM
I believe all commercial mowers are pretty much the same, share parts etc, so how can the be so different?

Gautreaux's LNG
11-19-2004, 11:07 PM
WOW! All commercial mowers are the same? Just slap a commercial sticker on it and BAM it's commercial!

Scag is just a name? Why pay for a name?

Scag is a name because they make the best commercial products out there. Yeah when you walk through the show room they all look about the same so the must be all about the same!

I think one plant in Cut Off, Louisiana makes them all, ships them out and they get painted and stickers and there ya go!

Take a look at the little things it's amazing how some guys drop a few thousand dollars, on something what the hell they all look the same!

geogunn
11-19-2004, 11:11 PM
my older LESCO mower is virtually identical to the corresponding SKAG unit except for the color and I hate that for the SKAG fans.

as for the modern LESCO unit, forget the SKAG comparison....there is no need to compare to SKAG or any other unit.

the LESCO is a quality unit which stands on its own excellent reputation.

I have run my LESCO for several years and never had a repair that I couldn't handle on my own.

check out that LESCO/cub/whatever...it is worth a close look.

GEO :)

LawnSmith
11-20-2004, 11:15 AM
bottom line, lesco does NOT make their machines 'in house'. SCAG however, does make their machines in house. just like other lesco products such as; leaf vacs, salt spreaders, spray rigs, etc..they dont physically make any of those items. they literally "slap" their name on someone elses work.

lawncat
11-20-2004, 01:12 PM
The whole thread was started by a homeowner--anything we use would work for him--even a Bradley or the Quick 36.

Commercially what you use to put bread on the table and pay mortgage with needs to be closely related to what your nearest most convenient dealer carries! We could all talk long about the differences in machines but the truth is most major players in the machine game make quality machines and the choices are like Ford-- Chevy-- Dodge all good-- but all subject to personal opinions. Any good quality machine that receives proper maintenance and care will give you many years of profitable service!

We still have Buntons on our trucks purchased in the 70's--still workin' fine.
We have Scag Hydro's (61" & 72") from the very early 90's--still workin' fine.
We have some other brands that were basically worthless in a matter of years, and learned to stick with teh major players.

geogunn
11-20-2004, 01:47 PM
bottom line, lesco does NOT make their machines 'in house'. SCAG however, does make their machines in house. just like other lesco products such as; leaf vacs, salt spreaders, spray rigs, etc..they dont physically make any of those items. they literally "slap" their name on someone elses work.

soooo...lawnsmith--if I want a SCAG salt spreader or a spray rig or a leaf vac what should I do?

bottom line is-- SKAG does't make them so since they aren't made IN HOUSE...should I do without?

GEO

Cobra Jock
11-20-2004, 02:28 PM
SCAG

Simply The Best.

You're joking, right? Scag isn't "Simply the Best" if you don't have a good SCAG dealer close to where this person is going to be using it! The good advice in this situation is, buy the mower from the dealer that will take care of you after the sale. And, by the way, SCAG don't make a pimple on Hustler's *** cheeks, IMO. Check out a 37" hydro WB 15 HP Kaw Hustler. Nice machine, unlike the SCAG POS

chimmygew
11-20-2004, 04:32 PM
[QUOTE=geogunn]soooo...lawnsmith--if I want a SCAG salt spreader or a spray rig or a leaf vac what should I do?

bottom line is-- SKAG does't make them so since they aren't made IN HOUSE...should I do without?

I could be wrong, but I think what Lawnsmith was stating was that scag makes everything that has their name on it and therefore the dealers' are more knowledgeable about the unit in general. Don't get mad if I was wrong on that. As far as salt spreaders and blowers, blah blah blah, etc. Scag doesn't sell them, but if they did, they would be made by scag. That is like comparing apples to oranges. I have owned scag mowers for 5 years now and no probs with them. I had a buddy who had trouble with a lesco walk behind. the main problem was the dealer never had his parts in stock. I can't really say anything about their build or cut quality due to the fact that I have never used one. I can say however that there is a reason a lot of companies are copying the scag design or going a similar route. I think that in itself says enough.

YardPro
11-20-2004, 04:35 PM
problem with lesco is that they farm out production. thier mowers are cub cadets for now. in two years they may be exmark. parts availibility on the units becomes dicey after they switch brands. the original manufacturer will not be able to cross referance thier model and serial #'s.

Duramax99
11-20-2004, 04:47 PM
I would get a Scag. The advantage deck stripes nice.

Travis Followell
11-20-2004, 04:52 PM
I think both of them are good mowers. The Scag machines are really hard to beat the the Lesco's are also good mowers. Look at both of them and get the one you like the best. Thats what I would do.

AintNoFun
11-20-2004, 05:50 PM
i don't want to sound cocky but how many of you guys have workers beating the crap out of your equipment.... im not a real big operation but we run 4 cutting crews... we have just as many scag walk behinds as lesco walk behinds, and they both do the same damn thing and last just as long. scag maybe built a little heavier but its not worth a $1000.. i'd rather buy lesco and save a grand..... and put that grand towards parts... just my 3 cents...

Travis Followell
11-20-2004, 05:52 PM
Well said.

Mo Green
11-20-2004, 06:12 PM
It's the same argument that I've seen on here a hundred times. Which is better, a or b. Some say a, some say b. it's never ending. The best thing to do, in my humble opinion, is to check them out, try them out, and make a decision that best suits your own needs. Don't depend on others opinions alone to make your decision. Do a thread search on each machine, and you'll be reading until the sun comes up.

chimmygew
11-22-2004, 07:04 PM
I say demo both. But, not to sound cocky, I was only stating the experience that my friend and I have had with these mowers. I would talk to the scag dealer and see if he would come down on price. Also, which dealer is closer? Aintnofun, Running four crews and expecting $500,00.00 this year sounds like a big operation to me.

SodKing
11-22-2004, 07:11 PM
My Lesco units, 36" 12 years old 48" unit 10 years old, are built like tanks. The last Skag POS I owned almost put the mowing company out of business.

Lux Lawn
11-22-2004, 07:41 PM
I agree Lesco and Scag are both great mowers but as a homeowner to do your lawn once a week I would buy the Lesco and save the money it will last you many years cutting once a week.

arpat2
11-23-2004, 01:38 PM
I am not in the landscape business, just a crazy homeowner that likes your professional opinions. I look at this site fairly frequently.

I am in the market for a 36" belt driven walk behind. I was sure I wanted a Scag but, I was driving past a Lesco dealer the other day and saw one of their mowers. Not knowing much about commercial mowers I feel the quality of the Lesco is right up there with the Scag. I asked the salesman "how the Lesco compares with the Scag?" He told me, "they are both made by the same company." I also asked him if I had to repair the Lesco, where do I take it? He told me the Scag dealer will use the same parts on the Lesco as they do with the Scag.

What do you guys think Scag or Lesco? Is the salesman accurate?
I am now leaning towards the Lesco.

The Scag's price is $3000.00. The Lesco is $2050.

Thanks
Jess, I am in the same boat you are. By the way I live really close to you in North Jersey. My engine on my 48" seized. It had a leak and the deck is not worth the 1000.00 it would cost to replace the engine, so I priced a Scag 36" WB. I got the same $3000 price catch included. I also got a price for a Scag Hydro 36". The guy said there is no comparison the hydro is smoother but it is also 1800.00 more, catch included. It's just a matter of money as always. I said it would be used residentially and he said the hydro should last a good 15 years at least with good maintainance. Could I ask you where you got your quote from? Maybe we could try for a "two fer" deal. Although I'm not a professional landscaper many of the posts on this site are very helpful to me because my prop size is kind of big and I need professional equip. to keep it neat otherwise it takes too long with regular consumer power equipment. Hope I helped

RobH
11-23-2004, 02:34 PM
Hey Jess,

I am also a crazy homeowner who used to do landscaping in college. As you can see from all the posts there are good arguments for both machines.

I bought a 48" Scag belt drive a few years back and absolutely loved the machine. I traded up for a 48" hydro this year and love the machine even more. I know that this machine will last me a really long time. I only put about 1.5-2 hours on it a week.

I choose Scag because of quality and quality of cut. I also choose Scag because I really liked the dealer. They treat me really well when it comes to making adjustments, blade options, and just whatever it is that I buy from them.

Whatever it is that you decide to buy, just remember that it is a one investment that will last you a really long time.

You may even find guys trading in machines at the end of the year. You may even be able to get a hold of a used hydro in good shape.

Jess
11-23-2004, 06:36 PM
Jess, I am in the same boat you are. By the way I live really close to you in North Jersey. My engine on my 48" seized. It had a leak and the deck is not worth the 1000.00 it would cost to replace the engine, so I priced a Scag 36" WB. I got the same $3000 price catch included. I also got a price for a Scag Hydro 36". The guy said there is no comparison the hydro is smoother but it is also 1800.00 more, catch included. It's just a matter of money as always. I said it would be used residentially and he said the hydro should last a good 15 years at least with good maintainance. Could I ask you where you got your quote from? Maybe we could try for a "two fer" deal. Although I'm not a professional landscaper many of the posts on this site are very helpful to me because my prop size is kind of big and I need professional equip. to keep it neat otherwise it takes too long with regular consumer power equipment. Hope I helped

Hi Age,

One of those "two fer" deals would have sounded good to me however, I purchased a Lesco 48" mower yesterday.

The guy dropped it at my house around 5pm and it was practically dark. I was only going to try it a couple of feet. I have a lot of leaves in my yard and the mower vacuumed them up without trying. Before I knew it I did my whole back yard. I looked at my yard this morning and thought the job the mower did, for that many leaves, is incredible. I am impressed with the large stripes on my lawn. Also, the 15hp Kawasaki seemed effortless.

What mower to buy was a decision that I thought a lot about and did not come easy. I considered a lot of peoples opinions both inside this forum and talking to landscapers locally. I realize I only have this mower for a day but I am very happy with my decision.

If any other members of this forum are reading this thank you for your opinions,

Jess

TURF DOCTOR
11-23-2004, 06:44 PM
I have never run a scag in imo they are on top of stripes cut is good,lesco is a grand less,1000 bucks in your hand.Downtime is everthing in this business.Scag with local dealers could have you up an going,lesco probally not.

arpat2
11-23-2004, 09:27 PM
Hey Jess,
I tried. Good Luck with the Lesco. Which dealer did you purchase it from? Maybe I'll take a ride and demo one.
Jess
11-24-2004, 05:23 AM
Hey Jess,
I tried. Good Luck with the Lesco. Which dealer did you purchase it from? Maybe I'll take a ride and demo one.
Lesco is in Fair Lawn.

grassredneck
11-24-2004, 08:47 PM
I agree that a homeowner should just buy the Lesco and save $$ but I'd never do that just because the dealer's in my area are much more likely than Lesco to have replacement parts when I need them which equals less downtime. The Scag is definitely built a little sturdier but that wouldn't matter to me if I was just a h-owner who most likely wouldn't abuse an investment

edward hedrick
11-24-2004, 09:03 PM
I own a 52" Lesco, and a 61" Scag sthm. the decks are similiar in construction and design. The 52 is a belt dr, the Scag a hydro. For cut under good conditions the Lesco is better. I also have a 52"Toro classic. The Lesco is heavier.

the engine platform on the Toro 1/8", Lesco 3/16".Ed

sethsodsquad
11-26-2004, 07:42 PM

Hm, similar to Sears/Craftsman mowers? :)

Seth

lafrance4078
11-26-2004, 09:36 PM
Jess, for the price, if I were you, I would look at the Better Outdoor Products Quick 36. It is a hydro mower and has a great price. I don't feel like a homeowner can put near the abuse that we put on mowers. Most any product will do very well for you. Ask the majority of people here and they will tell you to get the hydro of the belt drive. You will thank us for it. Good luck.

lawncare3
11-27-2004, 12:08 AM
LMAO this thread cracks me up. Why can't u guys just explain to him scag or lesco and not make it another legendary bitching match. The guy just wants a mower. :realmad: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MTR
11-27-2004, 02:46 AM
Get whatever brand you want but MAKE NO MISTAKE, it must be HYDRO unit.
That is how you save money, and time and effort and also getting better result than buying a belt WB.

geogunn
11-27-2004, 08:43 AM
...but MAKE NO MISTAKE, it must be HYDRO unit.
That is how you save money, and time and effort and also getting better result than buying a belt WB.

THIS RESPONSE IS SO UTTERLY FALSE, BASELESS, SILLY AND INFLAMMATORY THAT I AM USING MY ALL-CAPS BUTTON AND A RED FACED SMILEY!!! :realmad:

you sir are either a troll or you have never cut a lawn in your life.

GEO

MTR
11-27-2004, 12:46 PM
THIS RESPONSE IS SO UTTERLY FALSE, BASELESS, SILLY AND INFLAMMATORY THAT I AM USING MY ALL-CAPS BUTTON AND A RED FACED SMILEY!!! :realmad:

you sir are either a troll or you have never cut a lawn in your life.

GEO

Wow, what is that all about? I only suggested buying only a hydro unit cause it is better off in the long run to invest. The belt machine, needless to say, is just an entry machine to start but it won't handle increasing volume if your biz grows. By the way, I have both hydro and belt; eXmark 52 TTHP/jungle wheels, and eXmark 36" Metro/jungle wheels, so you can say whatever you said. I have earned a living out of these 2 machines since 2002 and moving onward looking for another great year in '05. Had I known from the beginning, I would have only bought a 36" TTHP instead of Metro, Thank You.