View Full Version : What are the licensing requirements in TN?

11-20-2004, 03:43 PM
Can someone help me with licensing requirements? I gather that for cutting grass I only need a business license, but what about other thing?

Do I need a license beyond a basic business license for the following, and if so, where can I inquire about getting one?

1. Landscaping installs (shrubs, flower beds, etc.)
2. Seeding
3. fertilizing
4. hydroseeding
5. Tree trimming
6. Shrub trimming
7. stump grinding/removal
8. More advanced landscaping such as retaining walls, ponds, lighting, etc.

Lord willing, I will begin in business in the Spring. I only plan to begin with cutting grass, light shrub trimming, and light landscaping (per #1 above), but I'd like to have an eye to the future for expansion. I already know the requirements for chemical application--they're stout, but is fertilizing included or can I do that w/out the chemical license?



11-21-2004, 12:33 AM
I work in the Chattanooga area. Where in TN will you be working :cool:

11-21-2004, 10:03 AM
call the state ag. department.they might can help you

11-21-2004, 02:53 PM

I live in Cannon County, about 1.5 hours from you. Any suggestions?



Team Gopher
11-22-2004, 10:10 AM
Hi Braxton,

Maybe this site will help.

11-22-2004, 11:40 PM

From what you posted it sounds as if you are ok from an ag. point of view, but still call the ag department and speak to Mary Borthick. Basically the ag. department wants a license if you apply chemical for a fee. This is a general discription, but also check out this web site.


11-23-2004, 09:09 PM
Make sure that you get INS. It will save you in the long run. Also if you plan to bid on commercial props. they will require you to have it. (most) Good luck. I am in knoxville. Let me know if I can help.