PDA

View Full Version : Cat 3116 diesel engine

dirtsquirt
11-21-2004, 11:50 AM
Wondering if any of you have any experience with a Cat 3116 diesel with a six speed tranny in a class 6 truck? Good or bad?
Dirtsquirt

UNISCAPER
11-21-2004, 11:53 AM
Bullet proof engine. If you are running flats, the six speed will be fine. I would prefer an 8 or 10 speed in our area, because of the steep grades and valleys we encounter.

Randy J
11-21-2004, 12:47 PM
The only downsides I have heard of with Cat engines are that they don't get the best fuel mileage, and they are expensive to work on. Supposed to be real good engines though. At least that's what I've heard.

dirtsquirt
11-21-2004, 01:52 PM
Thanks for your replies. This particular truck that I am looking at is carrying a 16ft. flatbed dump. I do have steep grades and turns but it is supposedly geared low.?? I'll have to try it out sufficiently. It is turboed so that will definitely help, however, I will be working it from 5000ft. to 10000ft. elevation and would hope that it could carry one of my 7000lb. machines and pull another 7000lb. machine on a trailer.
Thanks again.
Dirtsquirt

Smalltimer1
11-21-2004, 04:24 PM
Tough as nails engine, go for it.

Gravel Rat
11-21-2004, 06:07 PM
What brand of truck is this engine in ?

The 3116 isn't big power I would rather have a International with a 466 or a L series Ford with 7.8 power.

Cat engines are not cheap to repair if this engine has quite a few miles on it buyer beware.

dirtsquirt
11-21-2004, 11:00 PM
The Cat 3116 is in a GMC Topkick. Tell me more about the Ford 7.8. How many horses? What kind of longevity?
As far as the DT466, I've heard they were a poor engine in the 80's. I know they are really popular, did they have trouble and got them all worked out?
Anyone?
Thanks!
Dirtsquirt

Gravel Rat
11-21-2004, 11:18 PM
The 7.8 Ford can be found in L and F series medium duties and light tandems the max hp is 240. Some people feel they are junk but I know a few around here that have been pretty good. A friend of mine just bought a low kilometerage L series Ford with the 7.8 seems to fit his needs fine.

It all depends on how heavy of a gvw truck you are looking at if the truck has a light gvw like 26,000lbs a 7.8 will probably more than enough power. For a single axle dump I would like to see a 10 litre engine it will give you a honest 300hp plus the fact the truck has a JAKE brake. Single axle truck lack braking power a exhaust brake helps but it doesn't hold a candle to the engine braking capablity of a true JAKE.

As for a Topkick GMC I consider them as a cheap throwaway truck like the F-Series F-600 F-700 F-650 F-750. I kinda figured it would be a Chev with a 3116 they are common with that engine. The mechanical 466 isn't too bad you mainly find them rated at 210hp they can be turned up abit. I would rather have a 466 over a B series or C series Cummins or a 8.2 Detroit and the 3208 Cat.

The 3126 Cat is fine when its running right but its very expensive to repair. The 466 is pretty cheap to repair International built alot of these engines the only problem if you want a 466 it has to be in a ugly International :laugh:

If you can find yourself a newer International the ones with the sloped hoods and rectangle headlights should be a good truck.

What do you want todo with this truck ?

UNISCAPER
11-22-2004, 10:35 AM
The early cornpicker engines were gutless wonders. They have made some improvements in the power band over the years and from all I have talked to, are farily dependable.

The 7.8 Fords we had and ran in a couple packer trucks, they worked Ok, but keep in mind they were on trucks set on a 5 year plan. 5 years and that truck was traded. How they are beyond that, well, does anything that comes last the way you would expect it?

american groundskeeper
01-26-2007, 10:07 AM
I ran a boat with 3116 for nearly 10,000 hours before we touched the engine. They started the 3116 at around 200-210 hp I think. It was very popular as a 350 hp engine with huge low end power. The engine became the 3126 with electronic controls and that cured the tendency to be a little hard on fuel. Engine is popular in work boats and a boat engines life is same as a fully loaded truck going up a grade with the foot feed to the floor. Stay away from the older engines 96 or older they had some soft blocks. As for the Ford engine it's OK but on it's best day it will never touch the 3116 cat in the 350 hp form and as far as I know that is the most common in trucks. By the way the 3116 is also living as a Perkins engine. That makes the parts very easy to come bv and cheap. If your not experienced with diesel there is a large step up in price for diesel parts but it more than pays in fuel savings and the long life of a properly kept diesel engine , good luck

Ed

Amercian Groundskeeper