PDA

View Full Version : Shrub & Tree Care

Rwise10230
11-21-2004, 04:23 PM
I see some companies advertising a "winter wax" or foliar spray to protect trees and shrubs from cold weather. What products are they referring to and where can you purchase them?

heritage
11-21-2004, 06:12 PM
Rwise10230,
Anti-desiccants.......Wilt-Pruf,Vapor Guard,Transfilm. These products can be purchaced at a good horticultural supply. What they do when applied is put a protective coating on the leaves and plug up the stoma of the leaves where moisture loss can occur. Moisture loss can be a real problem when roots and soil are frozen and air temps are above freezing on warm winter days. The leaves lose moisture and cannot take up water from their frozen roots......leaves become dehydrated and become brown and scorched. Spraying an anti desiccant on a dry day when air temps are above 40F and cooler weather has set in is the right time to apply. I like to use Wilt-Pruf at the rate of 1 part wilt-pruf to 5 parts water for the pre winter application. Make sure to rinse the sprayer out at the end of the day to prevent any clogging issues. Also do not get any spray on windows as it must be a) rinsed off right away, b)Kerosene and a rag to remove when hardened. Spray with low pressure (25-50 psi) as a fine cover spray to top and bottom of leaves just to point of runoff. 1 gallon of mixed spray will cover 10 feet of plant height.
Also be sure that clients water plants well at the soil right before ground freezes. Plants treated here in N.J. are : Hollies, Laurels, Rhododendron, Azaleas, Boxwood, Mahonia, Pieris, Lecathoe, Roses(canes), Douglas Fir, Sure I missed a few, These products keep the green in Ever-Green.

Pete D

Rwise10230
11-21-2004, 06:49 PM
Excellent answer and information! Many thanks for the info.