PDA

View Full Version : My first Landscape job

Frontier-Lawn
11-21-2004, 05:45 PM
heres some pics of my first landscape job i just finished a couple weeks ago.
the customer had a 50' silver maple taken out were that planter is now.

http://lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28726&stc=1
http://lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28728&stc=1
http://lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28729&stc=1

Frontier-Lawn
11-21-2004, 05:49 PM
and yes before anyone says anything i forgot to crop the pics

fga
11-21-2004, 06:50 PM
the plants are nice. good design.
but what's up with the edging? it takes away from your plantings.

i think it would have looked better just on a nice amoeba shaped berm, with a natural edge.
nice layout though. are they going to have you mulch it? or gravel?

Frontier-Lawn
11-21-2004, 06:53 PM
thats what the customer already had and wanted to use

LawnBoy89
11-21-2004, 09:16 PM
Personally, I would add some mulch, but other then that it looks good.

Frontier-Lawn
11-21-2004, 09:24 PM
digital camera died before i could take pics of it with the mulch

Petr51488
11-21-2004, 09:54 PM
If you don't mind me asking.. how much did you charge?

JB1LNDSCPR
12-31-2004, 07:31 PM
i hope it wasn't much....people like you kill the market for real landscapers...anyone can plant plants and put mulch down.

j fisher
12-31-2004, 07:45 PM
i hope it wasn't much....people like you kill the market for real landscapers...anyone can plant plants and put mulch down.

Cheap shot. Everybody starts somewhere. I would'nt think a small job like that would be a threat to a "real landscaper"

JB1LNDSCPR
12-31-2004, 07:49 PM
you are absolutely right he is not a threat.....never said he was a threat...i said he kills the market because he has no clue what they're doing.

lawncare4u
12-31-2004, 08:40 PM
heres some pics of my first landscape job i just finished a couple weeks ago.

http://lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28729&stc=1

Don't let'm bug you!Every big landscaper started with a 1st job,usually a small JOB. Doyour future jobs as well as you did this one,and they will only get bigger and better.

ALarsh
12-31-2004, 10:31 PM
you are absolutely right he is not a threat.....never said he was a threat...i said he kills the market because he has no clue what they're doing.

Lets see pics of your first ever landscape job.

Looks good frontier

GreenMonster
12-31-2004, 10:43 PM
Frontier,

good effort for your first job. Looks like you grouped some similar plants, and added a boulder there as an accent.

I also agree with Adam that the edging takes away from the design more than anything. Draws too much attention to the eye. I don't know if natural edging is not as popular down south due to the grasses types, but that is always my preference.

While new landscapes often look too baren with immature plants, you may have a few too many in there. Consider their mature size as well and determine if they're gonna be fighting with and growing into each other in short time.

JB1LNDSCPR
01-01-2005, 05:49 PM
Here's a real Landscapers job...this is my third job ever...

s and s mowing
01-01-2005, 06:40 PM
Looks Good Frontier, And If It Means Anything I Would Hire You Over Jbi On Attitude Alone.moron

ALarsh
01-01-2005, 10:37 PM

Your post is completely irrelevant.

GreenMonster
01-01-2005, 10:39 PM

"Real" landscapers don't use black plastic edging.

Lawnchoice
01-01-2005, 10:43 PM
"Real" landscapers don't use black plastic edging.

I'll second that Mark !

Happy New Year !

Leone LawnCare
01-02-2005, 12:01 AM
if you want me to be honest i dont like it. In 5 years it will be trash. keep trying and look at what other people are doing.

s and s mowing
01-02-2005, 12:09 AM
You Guys Blow Me Away,here Is A Young Guy Not On Dope,stealing,he Is Working Trying To Build A Business And Doing Some Pretty Nice Work For His First Job And Proud Enough Of It To Post Pictures On Here And You Guys Picking It Apart.are You Idiots

trimmasters
01-02-2005, 12:23 AM
JB1, Is that last picture you posted real? it looks like it was done with design software to me.

Frontier, looks like a good start. i do agree the edging takes away but hey, you do what the customer wants.

John P.
01-02-2005, 12:32 AM
Its not a bad job or anything, but i guess it depends on the area. In my neck of the woods that style of landscape is not too popular, not saying its a bad job or anything. Also (to some of you guys bashing the pics) what if thats what the home owner wanted and asked for. So you can really say its a bad job if thats what they wanted. You got to start somewhere. Keep up the good work, and don't let the "real landscapers" get to you.

cgland
01-02-2005, 01:35 PM
I think ther was alot of thought put into the placement of plants, because we all know that landscaping a small area can be very tough. My only criticism is the edging....yes the homeowner wanted it there, but I don't think the homeowner wanted it all jagged and wavy. I think you could have put a little more time into the edging to make the curves alot smoother and more even in height. Other than that, keep it up, read some books, and be perceptive in what others in your area are doing. Treat every project as if it were worth a hundred thousand dollars and just as many people would see it. :drinkup: Just my .02

Chris

Frontier-Lawn
01-03-2005, 02:22 PM
:angry: the tree guy left some big roots i could not get out buut thanks for the compliment

ztoro
01-03-2005, 02:34 PM

I hope you got the owners permission to use the picture.

if it really is yours nice plastic edging you moron......... If that stuff even came near my property I would fire you on the spot....

ztoro
01-03-2005, 02:41 PM
Do you think it would be good for somebody that had a big company...I see you only have a 36" WB and a 5 x 10 trailer...Just curious because i am getting pretty big this year.
How long was it rookie?
2005 F-350 FX4
2000 F-250 SD
2000 Isuzu Dump
2005 Isuzu Custom Box Truck
1999 773 Bobcat Skidsteer
1998 Yanmar Mini-Excavator
1-Ferris 52" WB
3-Exmark 61" ZTR
All Echo Hand Tools

here is a post from one of his other threads... He is 23 years old in business 5 years, quite a FLEET for someone who is getting big this year....... :dizzy:

QMVA
01-11-2005, 01:20 AM
This is the part he landscaped. :rolleyes:

YardPro
01-29-2005, 11:02 AM
the wall looks fake.
looks like some PC magic

Todd's lawncare
02-10-2005, 03:27 AM
look what he had to deal with there was a tree there he used what the custumer had and wanted not like he made it on his own had to work with what was there and when did you do yours workin for a large scale company befor on your own

A Leaf Above
02-10-2005, 12:52 PM
This is the part he landscaped. :rolleyes:

OMG!! That had me rollin hardcore :)

Frontier keep going brother ....Learn from this job and you will get better
each time ...Keep going pal :)

paponte
02-10-2005, 09:47 PM
Looks good Frontier! Bottom line is you got the job, got it done, and made the customer happy. Don't listen to these other guys bashing. :)

Frontier-Lawn
02-16-2005, 06:36 PM
thanks guys,

sorry i have not been posting much. been really sick lately

Smithers
02-25-2005, 10:49 PM
thanks guys,

sorry i have not been posting much. been really sick lately
frontier, i will add the same as the others did.....looks really good. dont worry what anyone else says (negative). as long as the customer likes it, you are doing ok. I know how hard it is to do it alone. It's one thing to cut grass alone, but another to do light landscaping with a shovel and a pick ax (so to speak).

Anyway, what happened to you and your girlfriend (or wife)? You posted some problems awhile back?? if you dont mind me asking, of course!!

FrankLandscaping
02-26-2005, 01:03 AM
To be perfectly honest, a maple tree stump would have looked better, :angel:

Bull
02-26-2005, 10:59 AM
Frontier, this is in no way a shot at you but let me make a comment about your first job. For any landscape to look it's best it must be a total package. For instance in your pictures if you look at all other aspects of this property there is nothing that looks as though it has been cared for. The foundation perimeter is lacking any appeal and the lawn itself looks poorly (I know the maple influenced this somewhat) but my point is you could have spent $2,000.00 on the job you did and it still would not have appealed to me due to the existing surroundings. The same concept holds true for someone who builds a $300k plus house and spends no money on landscaping. They lack the total package. You of course did what you were hired to do. Keep up the good work.

nelbuts
04-05-2005, 10:29 PM
Well I usually stay ot of things but have to add my $0.02 here.

First always give the customers what they want and what they can afford. If that means a small job using some of their bricks then fine. I would hit them up to clean up the place. Other than that if they are happy and you made a few dollars then all is well with the world.

Now JB1. You give the green industry a bad name. It is that simple. You think that you are better and above everyone who may start small. You do not live in Florida and do not know the wide variety of customers that retire here. When we see someone like you retire to our state we shake our heads. To make it easy for you to understand you are an arse and should be ashamed of your words and your actions on this thread. I would not hire you and would not allow you to talk to my customers for fear that you would show your true colors.

Now for the rest of us remember our roots. Remember our learning curve. Remember our mistakes. Remember to never hire someone like JB1! :angry:

Frontier-Lawn
04-05-2005, 11:05 PM
Frontier, this is in no way a shot at you but let me make a comment about your first job. For any landscape to look it's best it must be a total package. For instance in your pictures if you look at all other aspects of this property there is nothing that looks as though it has been cared for. The foundation perimeter is lacking any appeal and the lawn itself looks poorly (I know the maple influenced this somewhat) but my point is you could have spent $2,000.00 on the job you did and it still would not have appealed to me due to the existing surroundings. The same concept holds true for someone who builds a $300k plus house and spends no money on landscaping. They lack the total package. You of course did what you were hired to do. Keep up the good work.

(my wife moved here in the 1980's and thats how it it looked then almost) they had to do this besuase a tree died there and had to be taken out. oh and the hubby does not let the wife spend money on property upgrades or trys to help out on the maintance ether

Remsen1
04-06-2005, 03:13 PM

How does charging a low amount help the market?

greenwithenvylandscape
04-06-2005, 03:41 PM
Good first job. To hell with what you did in the front yard, you got the experience and the next job will be better and the one after that will be even better. Keep going and befor you know it you will be doing things you never though you could do and will look back at your pictures of that first lawn and laugh.

RedWolf
05-17-2005, 10:30 PM
Frontier nice job.you made due with whats was givein to you and made it look good.And as for you JB1, :gunsfirin :realmad: I may not a Real Landscaper,but id never use that plastic edging **** on a job.It makes the job look like a kid did it and its guys like you that pi** me off.I never use that crap.i always use landscape ties.And once again,Great job Frontier it looks nice.Keep up the good work :cool2:

rgjlawn
05-25-2005, 06:38 PM
:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: heres some pics of my first landscape job i just finished a couple weeks ago.

http://lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28729&stc=1 whats with the website? not the same work!! :dizzy:

Frontier-Lawn
05-25-2005, 06:41 PM
because i not puting up that with all the tools in the way