PDA

View Full Version : Core Aerator Transport Help!

HydroRI
11-21-2004, 10:56 PM
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how I could transport around a core aerator by myself without using a trailer. I want to buy my own next season but when I rented one this year I was struggling getting it on and off my pickup truck (4x4) using ramps. Even when I pulled the weights off it is still very awkward getting it on and off the truck. Anyway I saw the carry rack Perma Green uses for there unit and I think that is something like what I am looking for. It will be closer to the ground and has it's own ramps but I don't know if that is too big and expensive for what I need it for. Anyone have any other ideas?

James Cormier
11-21-2004, 10:59 PM
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how I could transport around a core aerator by myself without using a trailer. I want to buy my own next season but when I rented one this year I was struggling getting it on and off my pickup truck (4x4) using ramps. Even when I pulled the weights off it is still very awkward getting it on and off the truck. Anyway I saw the carry rack Perma Green uses for there unit and I think that is something like what I am looking for. It will be closer to the ground and has it's own ramps but I don't know if that is too big and expensive for what I need it for. Anyone have any other ideas?

Here is the pg rack, I think it was around $750.00

HydroRI
11-21-2004, 11:04 PM
Great Picture, Anywhere close to RI where I could buy one? Does Lesco carry somthing like that for their spreader?

grassguy_
11-21-2004, 11:15 PM
Hydro
C&S Turf makes a carrier for the Reese Hitch that is really nice, a solid mesh floor with complete drop down gate to the curb, comes with tail light plug in as well. there number is 330-966-4511.

James Cormier
11-21-2004, 11:18 PM
Great Picture, Anywhere close to RI where I could buy one? Does Lesco carry somthing like that for their spreader?

I will sell you mine for $3500 and I will throw in the PG.

Yes lesco carries those,

HydroRI
11-22-2004, 12:06 PM
No Thanks James, I don't need a PG yet. Maybe after I put some miles on me I will want one. I really only do residential work right now.

That carrier looks pretty heavy are you able to hook that up to your truck yourself?

Hamons
11-22-2004, 12:18 PM
I had a specail platform made that fits into my rear receiver hitch It is about a 4' x3' platform. I roll my plugr right up on it. I went to a local welder who builds race car chassis. He uses 2" steel square tubing. When I asked him about the laod rating he said the truck springs
would break before the platform would even feel it. I've used for fertilizer and had about 800# on their no problem -- so even the heavies aerator would be too hard.

I use a set of wooden ramps -- but some liek that PG could be crafted fairly easy.

BTW it cost me an aeartion, a couple large pizzas and $50 to have the platform made.

James Cormier
11-22-2004, 06:39 PM
No Thanks James, I don't need a PG yet. Maybe after I put some miles on me I will want one. I really only do residential work right now.

That carrier looks pretty heavy are you able to hook that up to your truck yourself?

Yes, its very heavy, one guy maybe able to remove it but not me...to heavy for my back.

I just have a stack of pallets ( 3 high ) and I back up to that, then pull it off onto the pallets, fairly easy, then just move it around with a pallet jack.

Ive carried my hand aerator, sliceseeder and snow blower with it, the only problem is the ramps need to fold into the machine to lock on, with certain equipment like the snow blower, the handles hang to far over to raise and lock the ramps. So for those items you just need to back it up, which is easier said then done, especially a walk behind aerator, cause it aint got reverse.

Envi-Lawn
11-23-2004, 06:42 PM
Hydro,
I bought a carry-all rack from Northern Tool, but I haven't seen it in their catalog for some time. It is 4'x6' and fit in the 2" receiver. No ramps are needed as it pivots down to the curb side of the truck. Capacity is 600#. They call it the wheel-less trailer. It weighs 150#. Its very sturdy and stores upright.

gogetter
11-23-2004, 08:37 PM
One other way to go would be to get one of those ramp/gates that replaces your trucks tailgate. They look similar to a trailer ramp/gate.

You can look on www.usaramp.com for different ones that are available (pretty sure there's more then one manufacturer). I think there about the same price as that PG carrier, in that range anyway.
With these you can safely load bigger things into your truck, like an ATV, mower, etc., etc.

jdwilliams1
11-23-2004, 09:59 PM
James
I was wondering if your truck was 3/4ton or 1 ton, and what your preference would be, being a solo op with children I am considering a 3/4 ton suburban(2 birds one stone) w/ 14-18' trailer for z spray and product and possibly a tank 100-200 gallon for ornamentals and such, I would be purchasing the 8.1 8100 vortec which pulls about 13000 lbs, what are your feelings

By the way do you have tank for any herbicides or do you striclty spray w/ pg, it seems top me you diid have tank but maybe you just don't use, is this correct

Thanks Jay

HydroRI
11-23-2004, 10:21 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. The aerator I rented was a Bluebird and the front wheel or drum was not self propelled. I think if I had one that was I probably would'nt have a problem just driving it right up into the truck using those 6 foot long ramps that they sell everywhere. The only thing that propelled on the Bluebird was the tines.

That brings me to my next question, I may start a new post on this issue because I read many on the topic and it still has not helped me make a decision. Ok the topic is which is the best aerator????? Everyone has seem to put there 2 cents in on pros & cons of each one discussed. These posts may be old and maybe we need to touch on the subject again to see if there is anything better out there. All I know is I aerated 5 lawns with that Bluebird and I was hurting that night to say the least. Besides that the thing wanted to tip over on the slightest incline. I am planning on buying one next spring, here is what I am looking for:

I want one that can go up hills with no problems.
Be able to drive it up ramps without a struggle.
Not be hurting at the end of the day.
Stay in the ground on slight to moderate angles.
Reliable, not in the shop all the time & A machine that will last

The most important thing I am looking for is a machine I can use by myself.
I am leaning towards the Billy Goat, I think it has everything I am looking for. I know people in other posts had there problems with them. Have they made them any better?? What do you guys think the best machine would be to meet my needs?

James Cormier
11-23-2004, 10:46 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. The aerator I rented was a Bluebird and the front wheel or drum was not self propelled. I think if I had one that was I probably would'nt have a problem just driving it right up into the truck using those 6 foot long ramps that they sell everywhere. The only thing that propelled on the Bluebird was the tines.

That brings me to my next question, I may start a new post on this issue because I read many on the topic and it still has not helped me make a decision. Ok the topic is which is the best aerator????? Everyone has seem to put there 2 cents in on pros & cons of each one discussed. These posts may be old and maybe we need to touch on the subject again to see if there is anything better out there. All I know is I aerated 5 lawns with that Bluebird and I was hurting that night to say the least. Besides that the thing wanted to tip over on the slightest incline. I am planning on buying one next spring, here is what I am looking for:

I am leaning towards the Billy Goat, I think it has everything I am looking for. I know people in other posts had there problems with them. Have they made them any better?? What do you guys think the best machine would be to meet my needs?

Hydro, I own 2 blue bird aerators, they are driven by the front middle wheel as well, to load on a ramp all you need is one ramp. I just hold the machine up and let that middle wheel pull me up.

However I dont do walk behind aerations anymore, do a search on my posts and you will see someways I aerate.

When I do replace my walk behinds it will be a Ryan La28, by far the best aerator , easy to use, just expensive. But worth it.

James Cormier
11-23-2004, 11:00 PM
James
I was wondering if your truck was 3/4ton or 1 ton, and what your preference would be, being a solo op with children I am considering a 3/4 ton suburban(2 birds one stone) w/ 14-18' trailer for z spray and product and possibly a tank 100-200 gallon for ornamentals and such, I would be purchasing the 8.1 8100 vortec which pulls about 13000 lbs, what are your feelings

By the way do you have tank for any herbicides or do you striclty spray w/ pg, it seems top me you diid have tank but maybe you just don't use, is this correct

Thanks Jay

Jay, My truck is a 2500hd extended cab, I dont think they make a 3500 (non dually) I also have a 1500 suburban that I use on occasion. It pulls (suburban ) the 7500lb trailer okay, I think using it daily would beat the crap out of it. I love the 2500 suburban, I would go with the Diesel, but there hard to find and usually loaded and expensive.

I sold the spray tanks when the PG's came along, wish I kept them, And bought the trailer, I can carry 2 pallets in that trailer, most of the time I carry one, and all my hand equipment. Im sure with a big enough trailer you can get all that stuff you listed in there, Just make sure you go big, I got one a little bit bigger, So go with the 18 or 20'

I got the pg carrier this season because Im sick to death of pulling that trailer every day. Right now I pricing new trucks to replace the truck & trailer set up. I will still keep it, but the daily production truck will be a cube van or a Frieghtliner van.

Envision
11-23-2004, 11:28 PM
I am planning on buying one next spring, here is what I am looking for:

I've conquered the Bluebird, the Billygoat, and the Plugr. After 2-3 lawns with the Bluebird and Billygoat, I was exhausted and never wanted to aerate again. Purchased a Plugr, can do 8 a day and only be tired from walking. They might be a bit slower than others, but it was definitely easier on the body.

HydroRI
11-23-2004, 11:40 PM
I've conquered the Bluebird, the Billygoat, and the Plugr. After 2-3 lawns with the Bluebird and Billygoat, I was exhausted and never wanted to aerate again. Purchased a Plugr, can do 8 a day and only be tired from walking. They might be a bit slower than others, but it was definitely easier on the body.

I was told there was a struggle to get the Plugr to go up hills and if a underground lawn sprinkler was not installed properly it would not hesitate to plug holes throughout the whole system. That is if the pipes were too close to the surface. How difficult is it to load onto a pickup using ramps?

Envision
11-24-2004, 12:09 AM
A Plugr on hills does not equal a good time, I can attest to that. As to the sprinklers, I did 30+ this year with lawns containing sprinklers and didn't have an issue with punctering the sprinkler system. On loading onto ramps, a Plugr PL400 weighs 213 pounds, how much of an incline can you push that up?

James Cormier
11-24-2004, 12:23 AM
A Plugr on hills does not equal a good time, I can attest to that. As to the sprinklers, I did 30+ this year with lawns containing sprinklers and didn't have an issue with punctering the sprinkler system. On loading onto ramps, a Plugr PL400 weighs 213 pounds, how much of an incline can you push that up?

A self propelled aerator is just plan silly

HydroRI
11-24-2004, 12:30 AM
A self propelled aerator is just plan silly

What do you mean James?

James Cormier
11-24-2004, 12:44 AM
What do you mean James?

Opps, I meant a non self propelled aerator is just silly, the world is not flat, and aeration is a enough of a pain in the a$$ why would you want to make it harder by buying something you gotta push up a ramp, driveway, or anywhere else?

HydroRI
11-24-2004, 01:21 AM
See, This is why I am having a hard time making a decision. If I could try out every one I would but all you can rent around here is blue birds and I really don't want to do that again. The local dealers carry Lesco (at Lesco) which I believe is made by Classen, Husky, Ryan, and Billy Goat. I don't wan't to be sorry I bought one I don't like. Anyone else have any suggestions?

jdwilliams1
11-24-2004, 09:05 AM
I know money is always an issue but the z plugr I used this fall has been excellent

$5800

Ride all day
No fatigue
Aeration is fun and is now a profit machine
$1200-$2000 per day
Adjustible weight, this is huge on damp days I can take a weight off and still work
The builder answers the phone

Dis:
Bigger machine
Takes getting use to on hills and such and may be limited in tight areas

Dman1214
11-24-2004, 11:13 AM
Turfco makes a decent areator. WEb is www.turfco.com

trying 2b organic
11-24-2004, 08:15 PM
I can help with the loading and the aerator choice. I had a very very bad first day aerating (for my own biz) because I was using a big Bluebird and didnt have good technique for getting it on and off my pickup truck. I was turning it off and trying to push it up the steel ramps. wow, I went home, had a smoke, and realized that for a start of should attach 5 feet of rope to to large carabeeners, hook them to the handle bars and PULL it up. That worked.
My next step was to switch to renting the Ryan, using just one ramp for the middle wheel and letting it self propel itself up the ramp.
I still find that a bit dicy cause the ramp is to skinny to walk up behind it so by the time it is almost up you are just barely holding on to it. The higher the pickup the harder this will all be. I have a F150 not 4 by 4.
Im still debating whether or not to get a trailer but that is another story. For me the depected ramp would be a luxury item. Not that im adverse to that.

Hamons
11-24-2004, 08:47 PM
I have used Classen split drive, Bluebird and Ryan -- and I own and love my Plugr Pl800. Ic an aerat ell day long and not even be worn out. Now -- getting it into the bed of apick up with a 6' ramp woul dnot be fun though.

I think the LA28 is a better machine. However it is also twice as much and tend to be somewhat unreliable in my expereince and through heraring second hand -- with all of the extra parts for the chain drive.

A few notes on the plugr. Once you've done afew dozen yards -- hills are not a problem. You learn how to do themas the machine was designed and it works very well.

The Plugr will put a big nasty hole ina sprinkler pipe or head, or tree root or asphalt. That what it is designed to do -- put holes through rock hard ground. If you have irrigation piupe that is less than 4" from the service the customre should pay you a fee for diagnosing why their irrigation system would soon fail.

Althought he Plugr ius not propelled unless the tiens are engaged it also does not weigh nearly as much as other aerators so pushing it upa hill is never hard. However a 6' ramp into a truck bed would be hard.

gogetter
11-24-2004, 11:11 PM
Here's a tilting ramp for $300 that's 60" x 32".
Just throwing out ideas.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=28177&item=5537748335&rd=1

mtdman
11-24-2004, 11:56 PM
That's not a bad little carrier. Thanks for the linky.

:D

James Cormier
11-25-2004, 01:27 AM
, I went home, had a smoke, .

Wait a minute, hold the presses, Your trying to be organic, and you smoke!!!!! Your worried about spraying weeds with chemicals and you suck something into your lungs that is proven to cause cancer. WoW

Dman1214
11-25-2004, 08:27 AM
Oh the hypocrisy! See it all the time. What kills me are all the disingenuous companies, no i'm being too kind here - the companies that outright lie that they are organic and apply the same products as me. It hurts the people that truly are trying to do IPM and use pesticides discriminately. the issue gets clouded and gives the activists more foder. Notice I said activists - we are the environmentalists - we must be more proactive in getting our postive message out. I am in favor of the Project Evergreen initiative - see more at www.projectevergreen.com DMAN1214

gogetter
11-28-2004, 12:52 AM
Here's another one that doesn't tilt, but has a ramp:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5538534763&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

oOTurfmanoO
06-23-2006, 09:30 AM
Yes, its very heavy, one guy maybe able to remove it but not me...to heavy for my back.

I just have a stack of pallets ( 3 high ) and I back up to that, then pull it off onto the pallets, fairly easy, then just move it around with a pallet jack.

Ive carried my hand aerator, sliceseeder and snow blower with it, the only problem is the ramps need to fold into the machine to lock on, with certain equipment like the snow blower, the handles hang to far over to raise and lock the ramps. So for those items you just need to back it up, which is easier said then done, especially a walk behind aerator, cause it aint got reverse.

You put aerators and what not on the pg rack?

I am interested in buying a rack but fear it's limitations.