PDA

View Full Version : My new truck

pottstim
11-21-2004, 11:25 PM
I bought myself a 2004 Silverado back in June and am just now getting around to posting a few pictures. Because I'm only a part-timer, the half ton short bed does fine for me. When I take on the occasional mulch job, I haul it on my trailer. I traded my 2002 because it was a 5 speed (I really miss it deep down) and it was killing my bad knee. The Doctor diagnosed me with Chrondomilatia of the Patella. I decided to visit a few dealers and see what they could do for me on an automatic. If it was going to cost me a lot more money, I was just going to tough it out with the 5 speed. But, was able to buy this truck with no money down, plus the $3500 in rebates for $15 less per month compared to the 2002. I had about 4,000 in equity on my trade, so that helped a lot also. This truck has the 4800 V8, auto, tilt, cruise, cd, uplevel cloth seats (from the LS). The Arrival Blue really looks awesome and gets me a ton of compliments.

dishboy
11-21-2004, 11:41 PM
Pretty truck, how does it do as far as MPG at freeway speeds hauling your trailer with equiptment?

I was looking at Chevy, Ford and Toyota and bought a Ford with a V-6 and five speed +air this weekend after seeing my local dealer's TV add dumping his 04 F-150 Heritage's for $ 11,900. Since I started mulching all my yards I was looking for gas mileage rig for my 35 mile round trip, my 1 ton was killing me at the pump. Again pretty truck.

shepoutside
11-21-2004, 11:42 PM
Sweet, Very Sweet. Gota love the chev's :cool:

Old Red
11-22-2004, 06:02 AM
I see you've got the requisite bug shield, nerfs and flaps. Looks good.

Eric 1
11-22-2004, 01:01 PM
Dude, thats a nice truck, I love that blue. and gotta love the Chevy's. :cool2: :cool:

arborist-28
11-22-2004, 02:01 PM
I would think a ford with a v-6 would give you the horsepower and fuel economy that you desire ... that is what I would go with ... c

Eric 1
11-22-2004, 07:47 PM
I would think a ford with a v-6 would give you the horsepower and fuel economy that you desire ... that is what I would go with ... c

:rolleyes:

Horsepower, maybe, torque nope.

I look at it like this, A V6 will get better mpg empty, maybe, they are geared lower to make up for the loss of tuque so it will be a vary small amount. Plus it is smaller and a V6 naturally makes less torque than a V8 so you have to work the 6 harder to do the same job, this translates into more fuel consumption thus making it about the same as a 8 that is not working as hard. plus the 8 will last longer because you dont work it as hard and there is that extra "umph!" if you need it. :) And sooner or later you will catch yourself saying "man i wish this truck had more power." :D

Horsepower is not what is important hear its all about torque baby!

A 6 is more suited for small loads and just driving around.

dishboy
11-22-2004, 09:56 PM

I think the 4800 chev makes real good horsepower and torgue for a small eight, GM has the head design and fuel mapping down. It also is rated at 21 mpg highway with the manual tranny where my Ford six is rated at 20. So go figure. Although I had only driven the Chev with the six I felt the gearing was way to tall for my liking. I think you would have a hard time pulling a trailer with Chev six as it was only turning around 2100 at 65 in fith gear.

FrankenScagMachines
11-22-2004, 10:13 PM
I think the 4800 chev makes real good horsepower and torgue for a small eight, GM has the head design and fuel mapping down. It also is rated at 21 mpg highway with the manual tranny where my Ford six is rated at 20. So go figure. Although I had only driven the Chev with the six I felt the gearing was way to tall for my liking. I think you would have a hard time pulling a trailer with Chev six as it was only turning around 2100 at 65 in fith gear.
first thing- Ford is not a gas mileage truck. They are great trucks but great fuel mileage has never been a selling point for Ford. I am a Ford guy, but I will agree that on the open road they get the worst fuel mileage. Towing trailers, i honestly beleive all engines will get about the same. Everyone i know that pulls trailers with gas engines gets generally anywhere from 7-9 or as much as 10 mpg, thats it. Very little difference. The ones getting 7 are like me with a big block V8 in a very large truck pulling a large heavy trailer. The ones getting 10 are the guys in half or 3/4 tons pullin 16' trailers. the size of engine and age/engine design makes no difference. My 15 year old Ford one ton flatbed truck with a 7.5 liter gets about the same with my 22' open trailer as my friend's '03 Chevy 3/4 ton 6.0 liter with 18' enclosed trailer. I get 7, he gets 8. Only difference my rig is alot bigger, for a mere 1 mpg. also my truck cost a whole lot less than his. Same maintenance price, if mine is not even cheaper. Parts are cheaper, its an older engine design and parts are readily available most anywhere (though he has warranty now he won't later and i'm betting his warranty will be out before his parts are common and cheap)
second thing- 2100 at 65 is a little bit tall but not bad really. keep in mind you don't tow in 5th/overdrive usually unless its a very light load. In 4th gear i'd say thats about 2500/2600 rpm guestimate. Thats about right IMHO for a half ton. There are reasons half tons get better fuel mileage and have lower tow capacities. higher gears would be the reason! My truck has a 3 speed automatic (no overdrive) and at 53 mph its 2,000 rpm. at 60/65 its about 3,000 rpm (this is really hard on gas now lol). I have 3.55 gears which are just a tad too tall in this truck. It has plenty of get up and go, and 3.55's are better for fuel mileage as compared to say 4.10's, but when loaded heavy the 3.55's make it dog a little especially up hill. it still pulls it easily but i would get the same fuel mileage with 4.10 gears because the motor would not work as hard. only, highway mileage would be worse.

sorry for rambling :)

pottstim
11-22-2004, 11:28 PM
Thanks for all of the replies and compliments on my truck. To be honest, I have not checked the mileage on the truck yet. As of now, I am about ready to click over to 5,000 miles. The best I can tell, I am getting around the same mileage as my 4.3 V6/5speed 2002. I usually put around $20 per week in the old truck, and I'm doing the same with this one. Gas prices are just about exactly the same as when I had the old truck ($1.80/gallon range) My 2002 would get 16-17 in the city and 21-23 on the highway. This is all while not towing or hauling. Both the 2002 and the 2004 have the 3.73 rear end. I may have to take a decent highway trip in the future, and I will let you guys know what the results are. BTW, the Westin step bars on my truck are off of the 2002. There wasn't any way I was parting with those at $350 a set! :D The bug deflector is from the Auto Ventshade Co., and the splash guards are from Husky.