PDA

View Full Version : What rates should I go by when I sub out irrigation installs??

Mike_NTx
11-23-2004, 11:49 AM
If I sub out irrigation installs, what and how do you think I should charge. I will not be doing this myself due to the fact that I do not have the license yet here in Texas.

aquamtic
11-23-2004, 03:07 PM
Some of the landscapers and architects we work with add on 7-10% markup to our price

Mdirrigation
11-23-2004, 04:51 PM
Here in Md , you need a licence to sign the contract , so therefore someone with out a home improvement licence can not sub out work to a licenced contractor . The holder of the licence must be the main contractor . If its different in Texas you may want to contact the contractor you wish to use and ask him what he will charge you do do the job. There is nothing worse than quoting a customer a price and then having to pay the sub more than you are getting to do the job .

houston
11-23-2004, 07:43 PM
Mike_NTx,

FYI:

In accordance with state law, Title 2 Texas Water Code, Chapter 34 and Title 30 Texas Administrative Code, Chapter 344 rules, any individual in the business of selling, designing, consulting, altering, installing, servicing, or repairing a landscape irrigation/sprinkler system for non-agricultural purposes in the State of Texas, must be a TCEQ Licensed Irrigator.

jerryrwm
11-24-2004, 12:56 AM
Mike_NTx,

FYI:

In accordance with state law, Title 2 Texas Water Code, Chapter 34 and Title 30 Texas Administrative Code, Chapter 344 rules, any individual in the business of selling, designing, consulting, altering, installing, servicing, or repairing a landscape irrigation/sprinkler system for non-agricultural purposes in the State of Texas, must be a TCEQ Licensed Irrigator.

And there are several cases of guys getting popped for doing that. Highest fine that I have heard of for irrigation violations was right at $20,000.00 - that was for selling and installing a couple of irrigation systems after his licensed irrigator quit. They really didn't want to hear that his irrigator quit and that he was looking for one. Their verdict was that he should have backed away from the irrigation installs until he either hired a licensed irrigator or became licensed himself. And the TCEQ has been enforcing the law on non-licensed folks a bit harder recently - a number of fines are over $5K for violations.

You would be better off referring the customer to a licensed irrigation contractor and get a referral fee.

Jerry
Tx Lic Irrigator.

activelandscaping
11-24-2004, 04:48 AM

I sure wish they could provide some form of standards that would be consistent from state to state. The only thing you need to install a irrigation system in MI is a pulse, although that isn't a State requirement. We have the worst kind of people installing systems. I can't even count the number of times I have gone to do a estimate and the only solution was a new install, unless someone has figured out how to get a 6 zone install to run on two zones. They need some qualification standards here in MI, waaaaaay too many hacks.
Now if you wan't to test a VB, well........that's a different story. :rolleyes:

Regards,
Active

Critical Care
11-25-2004, 12:59 PM
Of course Mike didn't say that he was installing the irrigation himself. Am I reading this wrong? Here in Oregon, a company not licensed in irrigation may sub out the work to another company providing that the other company has a licensed irrigation contractor that oversees the project.

Yes, I agree Active. It would be nice if there were some sort of standard on the industry from state to state. It must be confusing to people here on Lawnsite who get info from people in other states reciting what "the rules" are, when in actuality there are no common rules to the rules. Did that make sense?

Happy Turkeyday guys!

SWD
11-27-2004, 08:26 AM
I have this happen to me all of the time - other non IL licensed LCO's referring work to me.
I have struggled to come up with a fair manner of thanking the referral, with out harming the customer.
It basically comes down to you, the sub and your relationship with the customer.
You had better trust your sub before referring to the client that you have a irrigation sub.
I do not feel comfortable referring an outside contractor to my customers due to the lousy work I have seen other subs perform-thankfully not for me. This probably explains why I maintain multiple licenses-that and the additional business the licenses generate.
When other LCO's refer to me I consciously avoid asking the referred customer for other work that would fall under what the LCO can legally perform.
However, and I have had this repeatedly occur, the customer dumps the existing LCO in order to use me. The most common reason offered is (2), 1 being that my company performs better than the existing LCO in terms of service and service support; and 2 why not use me since I have all these licenses whereas the existing service provider does not.
I have also been horribly suprised in the past by a sub that doesnot maintain adequate insurances for problems they, the sub, generated.

activelandscaping
11-27-2004, 02:55 PM
Yes, I agree Active. It would be nice if there were some sort of standard on the industry from state to state. It must be confusing to people here on Lawnsite who get info from people in other states reciting what "the rules" are, when in actuality there are no common rules to the rules. Did that make sense?

Perfectly. :)

While I don't want to see exacting Fed guidelines, it would be nice if they came up with some minimal ones. Here in MI they treat cross-connections as though they were all going into Mercury storage tanks. On the other hand I need more licensing to get a dog than install a lawn sprinkler system. I don't see how a professional trade industry that requires a good knowledge base can be expected to survive the onslaught of dumb-ass's who can slap on a sign and be in business. I went through 2 yrs of landscape classes, including 2 semesters of irrigation training, and they don't even test in MI because there isn't a MI license available to apply for in irrigation. :realmad:

Don't get me wrong, I don't think a minute of my time was " wasted in school ", but why license spray applicators and not irrigation contractors/installers?

Regards,
Active

Critical Care
11-27-2004, 04:46 PM
I don't know how it is in other states, but for a whole lot less effort, and time, you can get the license to build someones home than to install their landscaping and irrigation. Seems strange eh?

It took me all day of going through a stack of exams. I even had to know the characteristics of plants not found in my area. Had to learn about area and slope calcs, grading, soil science, turf management, estimating, laws and rules, you name it. The irrigation exam alone was 100 questions; the backflow 50 more.

Yep, seems strange that in other states someone can do this without any ticket at all.

Mdirrigation
11-27-2004, 05:44 PM
Here in Maryland you need a home improvement license, all the test is is contract law, how you can sell and what you can and can not do as far as whats on the contract. My license allows me to do decks , kitchens , additions, landscaping , irrigation ,roofing , siding etc . But this license doesnt cover plumbing and electrical, but I am allowed to sell those jobs and sub them out .