PDA

View Full Version : can you have fun too?

richard2
05-22-2000, 03:14 AM
let's see...is it possible to have your own company and still retain some youthful idealism? i wonder...myself- i have a good time, very seriuos as to hitting my objectives- humorous in the moment! can one obtain his goals ( bidding, reaching objectives, selling franchises, selling motivational programs,gardening, plus hobbies...!)and keep a sense of humor? what do you think? where have you been and where are you heading?

HOMER
05-22-2000, 07:47 AM
WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!!???????????????<p>I HAVE FUN EVERYDAY..........I GET HOT, SWEAT, CUSS, SWAT GNATS, SWALLOW SOME, DRINK GATORADE, INHALE DUST, WAIT ON CHECKS, PUT UP WITH BITCHIN' CUSTOMERS, FIX FLAT TARS, THE LIST GOES ON AND ON.......I COULD SELL SOME MOTIVATIONAL PROGRAMS, GOT ANY RICHARD?<p>HOMER, CRAZY IN ALABAMA

southside
05-22-2000, 08:44 AM
Richard, peein in the bushes post was piss<br>funny,if you pardon the pun. :)<br>If you don't have a sense of humour then you<br>don't last in business.Simple.<p>Karl<br>

Acute Cut
05-22-2000, 11:32 AM
Ya gotta have a sense of humor. When i am in the middle of a turrential downpour and unclogging my machine for the 20th time in as many feet, i just start to laugh and tell myself that &quot;Dam i love my job!&quot; <p>Just think, i am missing those long days indoor where i can't even see outside. Golly, what am i thinking. This is great!<p>I am usually kinda serious until either we are driving between jobs, or the weather really sucks.<p>Have a good one ya'll.<br>

AB Lawn Care
05-22-2000, 04:24 PM
I think haveing someone working with you that you know well can help things stay fun in bad times.Me and my partner have kept each other laughing:)<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

Evan528
05-22-2000, 06:04 PM
at least for im not having fun this time of the year. im working 7 days a week 10-12 hours a day and have absolutly zero social life because of it! im stressed as hell... i feel like my blood pressure is through the roof and i just need a break! im getting quite sick of some of my costomers that think they are my only costomer. i have been in a bad mood for about a month now and everyone i talk to is really noticing it. its getting very difficult to put a smile on my face when talking to customers but i try my hardest. now because of this rain we have been having im backed up with all my landscape work because the drenched lawns are taking twice as long to cut. as you can probly relize ive had a short fuse and the smallest things are setting me off. i couldnt even cut half my scheduled lawns yesterday that i use my 36 belt drive for gates because the belts were slipping cause the rain. sorry to ramble on but i just needed to get this out.<br>Ps. im not sure how you cant smoke a pack a day or drink heavily in this buissnes.

AGG Lawn Maintenance
05-22-2000, 07:28 PM
Life is good!!! I enjoy working for my self through the thick and thin. You won't always have a good day but you try. I like to know that I am in control of the money I'm making.<br>The harder I work and more hours I put into it the more money I make. I can deal with the B.S. from some of the people. Its a hole hell of alot easier than dealing with B.Sing <br>Bosses!!!<br>Travis AG&G Lawn Maintenance :)

HOMER
05-22-2000, 07:42 PM
And I complain because there has been no rain.............just a dust bowl here.<p>Homer

Toroguy
05-22-2000, 08:28 PM
richard2,<br>I try to retain my youthful idealism with an added ounce of cynicism and an occasional dose of creaping surrealism.<p>Evan,<br>Do you get winters off? That keeps my mind off the negative, knowing the hell of 7 day work weeks will be over in a short 5 months.<br>Plus I couldnt make this nice of an income working for a corporation.

thelawnguy
05-22-2000, 10:53 PM
Evan,<p>Why take on a workload that you cant handle? I turn away half a dozen new accounts a week so I can be sure to have my weekends free (barring all week of rain!) When its not fun anymore its time to try something else.<p>Work smarter not harder.<p>Bill

Evan528
05-22-2000, 11:05 PM
i absolutly love what i do and wouldnt do anything else. i spend alot of my free time at night reading on here or reading other information about equipment. i think i am just burned out.... once june rolls around and my landsape work slows down things will be better. i have worked so hard to get where i am and i just feel real guilty turning down work. im even bidding jobs much higher than i normally would and still getting them.

lawrence stone
05-22-2000, 11:20 PM
Evan put the landscape jobs on the back burner and worry about lawn care until it stops raining. Keep your decks clean and blades sharp.<p>Also don't put more than a quarter lb of N per 1K sq ft down this month.

Evan528
05-22-2000, 11:38 PM
i sharpen and clean my decks daily.... theres no way im fertilizing at all this month with the way the grass is growing! with all this rain ive been cutting in... id be screwed without my z master with the super flow deck! discharges beutifully even in this soaking wet grass!

southside
05-23-2000, 06:24 AM
Evan, sometimes I get the same way.Answer the<br>phone with &quot;what the f@ck do you want!!?&quot;.<br>I smoke 2 packs of 20's a day.(lucky strike)<br>Once a month I knock off a bottle of rum and<br>get plastered with some mates of mine.You<br>gotta get away from the business for a bit.<br>Even a day or 2 will make a big difference.<br>I won't blow smoke up your arse about taking<br>a deep breath and counting to 10 whenever<br>something goes wrong,cos it doesn't work.<br>Take a day or 2 off and relax. <br>To finish I have a gross joke for you all,<br>Q What did the leper say to the hooker?<br>A Keep the tip.<p>Karl<br>

osc
05-23-2000, 10:26 PM
Evan:<br>I'm right there with you baby!<br>Who has time to smoke or drink? All my free time gets spent right here with you fine folks, all 10 minutes a days.

richard2
05-24-2000, 07:50 PM
today both my main mowers are down and the holiday is this weekend! ouch! no 36 and today no 21! can only drink beer and get stoned and take self imposed long weekend!