PDA

View Full Version : How important is a cab sheild in a body?

mrusk
11-25-2004, 10:09 AM
I was planning on buying a flatbed with a hoist and removable sides for my new truck. Then i realize there is no cab sheild. (Over the cab roof) This is almost making me change my mind on getting a flatbed. So my question is how important is a cab sheild? I will be picking up stone, gravel, dirt, mulch, ect in this truck.

Another question. If i get the flatbed with the hoist, can i still have a gooseneck hitch?

Thanks
Matt

UNISCAPER
11-25-2004, 11:30 AM
How long is the body?

Our bodies are 12', removable sides. No gravel gaurd on the body, but we do have easy tarp spring loaded tarps at the nose.
Most gravel pits are going to load you with a 980, or possibly a 992. The 980 has an 11' bucket. The 992's have 16' wide buckets and the operators are really good about using the 992 and will allow some of the gravel to drop off the back side rather than bombing the cabs. Another fault of a cab gaurd is that it is going to put you a few feet higher when you dump. Can you spare that room?

Gravel Rat
11-26-2004, 01:41 PM
Theres no need for a cab guard unless your hauling alot of gravel and getting loaded with a excavator (trackhoe) if your being loaded with a skid steer or a backhoe or a wheel loader the operator shouldn't be even getting close to your cab. You should have a good tough headache rack thou something that can take a bump or two and resist bending.

When you get loaded with a wheel loader like a 966 or 980 the operator only uses the corner of the bucket to load gravel into a 1 ton or even a 5 ton single axle dump because the box is only 12' long. Most gravel pits in this area will only load trucks with a 590 case size machine, 966 Cat loader or use a excavator. The larger pit in this area doesn't load any trucks smaller than a tandem axle with a 12 yard box. They load with a excavator with a 1-1.5 yard clean up bucket less chance of spillage and the load is more uniform in the box.

I'am looking at putting a dumping flatdeck on a newer F-450 and I haul anything from gravel to lumber etc. The problem with a flatdeck is it flexes quite abit I'am worried about bending the deck. I will use a telescoping post hoist I feel scissor hoists don't have enough lifting capacity and give a good dump angle. For me to have a post hoist I will have to run a 11' deck instead of a 12' because the hoist will take up 10" behind the cab and deck.

I have been also debating either going with a regular 12' mason dump box but its pretty much only good for hauling gravel.

I also have been thinking about a hooklift hoist but they are rare to find used a new hooklift hoist is big money payup

The one thing about a hooklift is a person can have one box for gravel and a flatdeck for hauling lumber and general freight I also could have a trash box for my rubbish removal jobs.

Anyhow enough rambling :laugh:

DKinWA
11-26-2004, 05:14 PM
I guess I'm in the minority on this one. My preference is to have at least a short cab guard. I've got a 5 yard dump and can't imagine not having a cab guard. The one on my truck covers about half the cab and I still get some rock landing on the front of the cab and even on the windshield occasionally. I haul out of three different pits and get loaded with everything from a backhoe to a wheel loader to a large excavator. With my truck, the loader bucket is always right up next to the front of the box to get the right weight distribution. Haul enough material and you'll eventually wish you had a cab guard if you want to keep your paint looking good.

Gravel Rat,
If you're worried about your flatbed deck flexing, you might want to take a second look at a scissor lift. Most of them involve adding a frame that will help stiffen things up and you can spec a lift that will dump anything you can put on your truck. I've got a scissor lift on my F800 and it'll dump 9 ton without even thinking about it. Not to mention, you can stick with the 12 foot bed.

Gravel Rat
11-26-2004, 09:43 PM
I do know scissor hoists are supposed to be more stable compared to a post hoist. The one thing about the scissor hoist there is alot of extra weight added to the truck compared to a post hoist.

A flatdeck is more usefull for me as I do junk removal aswell so I need the deck space plus the fact I need to load stuff with a forklift.

As for a regular dump truck I wouldn't run it without a cab guard either you need that extra protection for the cab. For a dumping flatdeck you don't want the cab guard if you want to put stuff over the headache rack and over the cab.