PDA

View Full Version : Will 2.8L V6 tow my trailer?

Husky03
11-25-2004, 09:35 PM
I have an S-10 with a 2.8 litre V6. How hard will it be for me to tow my 7' x 10' dump trailer that has wood sides along with my ZTR and other equipment.

Thanks...

1brilord
11-25-2004, 10:47 PM
If there are a lot of hills in your area I think you might have a hard time. I had a 1985 2.4 L toyota 4 banger truck and I just decided to get a jeep cherokee for my trailer next year. You might run into a lot of overheating problems too. If you can afford it I would probably get something with a bigger more powerful engine. Then you wont have to worry about your truck being a turtle or breaking down.

LawnBoy89
11-25-2004, 11:01 PM
I guess you can try. But you have to consider the transmission probably isn't made for this type of hauling, and that is a really small engine but you can give it a shot.

Make some money and get a new truck before you really mess up this one with the hauling.

UNISCAPER
11-26-2004, 12:30 AM
That Vortec V-6 was a pretty potent one and would pull what you are describing.. The problem I would ask first is how well you will be able to stop, especially if you get into some rain.

grass_cuttin_fool
11-26-2004, 07:38 AM
I used an s-10 for years with a 2.8, I pulled a 6x12 with a tiger cub and a toro walk behind on it. The truck done pretty good, wasnt a speed demon, but stopping was the big issue so I kept the speed down to about 45mph. I retired the truck to just pleasure riding now with 215,000 miles on it and replaced it with a full size 2 wheel drive truck that handles the trailer much better

LawnBoy89
11-26-2004, 09:13 AM
Wow, 215,000 miles? How many things went wrong? That is alot of miles. The truck I will be taking from my dad next year has 104,000 and I'm worried.

grass_cuttin_fool
11-26-2004, 09:23 AM
3 fuel pumps and 2 water pumps and 4 batterys,3 clutches and I replaced all the wheel bearings and ball joints at 180k. I replaced the 1st engine @98,000 miles with a GM crate engine. It still has the orignal alternator on it.

J.Gordon
11-26-2004, 09:38 AM
That Vortec V-6 was a pretty potent one and would pull what you are describing.. The problem I would ask first is how well you will be able to stop, especially if you get into some rain.

Like said before; it probably wont be a speed demon, and you might have a mile of traffic behind you honking their horns, but it may get you by. It would be worth the money to get trailer brakes installed, so when that person passes you and then slams the brakes on to make the stoplight. Thatís real scary when you have your brakes locked up and you trailer keeps pushing you and there is nothing you can do about it.

Husky03
11-26-2004, 11:14 AM
Well, I am glad to hear it should be able to tow my trailer. It is going to have to get me by for now. I can either use this truck I got for a good price or my dad's Ford work truck that gets 8 miles a gallon on a good day. I will have to see if I have problems stopping. Thanks a lot for the help. :)

Eric 1
11-26-2004, 08:02 PM
Its not a "Vortec", they did not come out till 1996.

I used a 92 s-10 for a week when my truck was down, pulled a 6x12 with 50'' ztr and all the 2 stroke and push mowers. It did ok with the 5spd, not great, but not bad for an engine that small. The big problem was stopping. Either go slow or get trailer brakes.

It will get you buy for a while but will wear out fast. Try to get a bigger truck asp.

p.s. Get a running start for any hill longer that a few hundred feet. :)