PDA

View Full Version : best solution for wild violets?

lawndude2004
11-26-2004, 11:18 PM
What is the most productive way to rid a property of wild violets.
I operate in east Tennessee and work with tall fescue lawns
I have eradicated most other weeds from this 2 acre property, but I am still having a problem getting rid of the violets

Neal Wolbert
11-27-2004, 03:16 AM
I'd give Drive a try. Trichlopyr (Garlon) will might do the trick too. Not sure which formulation you might find in your parts though. Neal

J Hisch
11-27-2004, 08:48 AM
Try any broadleaf herbicide, but the real key is going to be to stay on top of them. They are a creeping perennial just like white clover.

SodKing
11-27-2004, 09:29 AM
Try any broadleaf herbicide, but the real key is going to be to stay on top of them. They are a creeping perennial just like white clover.

Violets have shown great disdain for 2,4-D based products. I have had good results with triclopyr (better hurry before its no longer available) and also Drive.

Hamons
11-27-2004, 11:14 AM
What I found was several yard that I had picked up the last couple years have violets that don't even get phased by any 2-4d products. mMy usual speedzone mix will curl them -- but not kill them. However, if I return in two weeks after applying speedzone and the the damn things ares till there I garuantee their death with a little momentum or other triclopyr product.

DiscoveryLawn
11-27-2004, 12:13 PM
I have had success getting rid of about 85% +/- wild violets and ground ivy in about three apps. with Battleship applied at 1.5 ozs. per K at two to three week intervals. I say 85% because even though I no longer see any top growth throughout the lawn I am sure if I stop applying they will re-emerge.
By the way, I charge extra for this service.

David

Hamons
11-27-2004, 01:02 PM
Gallery furthers the effectiveness

vegomatic40
11-27-2004, 02:30 PM
Timing is pretty important for effective Wild Violet control. They are more vulnerable during their spring bloom.

work_it
11-27-2004, 02:46 PM
Here's a helpful link to check out wild violet as well as many many more.
http://www.turf.uiuc.edu/weed_web/index.htm

MrBarefoot
11-27-2004, 10:42 PM
I have had success against violets with Momentum & spreader sticker, and SpeedZone & spreader sticker. I went with the max rate per 1000 sq/ft. Some people have already mentioned that you need to stay on top of them, and they are correct. Spray in the spring (or when they are actively growing), then come back in few weeks (read your label for treatment interval) and hit them again. Also check labels for limits on blanket sprays to a property in a season.

I have heard people say that Corsiar or Confront will work also, but I have never used them.

Avoid dry granular weed controls.

Neal Wolbert
11-28-2004, 02:05 AM
No on the Confront. Neal

upidstay
11-29-2004, 01:01 AM
Try adding a little Quicksilver to your mix. It's a new product, just approved for use here in CT. When added to Drive it kills crabgrass and broadleaf too. Great product. It works as a broadleaf herb adjuvant, and really smokes them.

Neal Wolbert
11-30-2004, 03:46 AM
On the West coast Quicksilver doesn't get the roots especially on clover. Most tough weeds grow back. We gave up on it. Neal

Runner
12-01-2004, 04:19 AM
Our best bet has just been consecutive applications. 2 to 3 of them (spot) at around 2 weeks apart. This is using 3 way.

Russ
12-01-2004, 09:36 AM
Anybody interested in seeing what Purdue has to say about Ground Ivy

http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/tips/2004/ivy910.htm

mcambrose
05-18-2005, 07:13 AM
My Lesco dealer said Drive worked moderately well on violets and corsair. Anyone tried these for violets?

marko
05-18-2005, 11:18 AM
What I found was several yard that I had picked up the last couple years have violets that don't even get phased by any 2-4d products. mMy usual speedzone mix will curl them -- but not kill them. However, if I return in two weeks after applying speedzone and the the damn things ares till there I garuantee their death with a little momentum or other triclopyr product.

I agree. With violets, the key is timing (I think easier to control in the fall). If you can make 2 apps. 2 weeks apart, your control is much better. The first will burn the edges, and curl them, the second does a good job of finishing them up. A good app. in the late fall can prevent many problems for the next year due to the ease of the plant letting the chemical in (It is uptaking for the winter).

GreenUtah
05-18-2005, 02:33 PM
Barefoot had the right idea. A spray adjuvant(sticker) will help your absorption rate, with just about anything labeled for violets. The same holds true for many waxy or small surface weeds(clover/bindweed/ivy, etc.). If you can't get the leaf uptake, you'll always have to work harder and apply more often to get the knockdown. A small amount of nitrogen mixed with your herbicide & sticker can also help fool the plant into a more complete uptake.

Talstar
05-18-2005, 11:18 PM
Do any of you guys use a combination of products for tough weeds?? I use a mix of Quicksilver & 3 way ester.... By-by to even ground ivy.. Fast too

marko
05-19-2005, 08:33 AM
Do any of you guys use a combination of products for tough weeds?? I use a mix of Quicksilver & 3 way ester.... By-by to even ground ivy.. Fast too

My lesco guy wants me to try Quicksilver. He says it does a great job. I thought it was a bit pricy, but if it works that good and avoids followups, might be worth it. I spray at 1.5 oz of Momentum per 1 gallon of water per 1,000. How much quicksilver would I use and do you know if 1 gal of water per 1,000 is enough?