PDA

View Full Version : Marketing

Jim Edmonds
11-27-2004, 03:36 AM
Hey folks,

Lots of great information on here but a couple holes I would like to try and fill.

Next year will be my first in the business. Getting clients is obviously the main goal. I like the idea of placing flyers with the cost of service to personalize it and make it easy for them to decide. How is it that you estimate the cost without proper measurements of the grounds. Would it be ok to throw out cost per square foot or per 1000 square ft and let the customer do the math since most homeowners have a better idea of the lot size.

What would be an average number of clients I could expect to sign for every 100 flyers that I put out?

Also my business plan is to offer fertlization/pesticide services. Does anyone have any recommendations for methods to market these services along with cutting?

Along with flyers I was going to talk with local garden center owners and nurseries and possibly leave brochures with them.

I would like to do some charity work for local non-profits just to get my name out and also to use for references.

Would writing an educational letter to the paper aimed at educating the public
be very effective?

Also I thought that writing letters to some of the big time landscaping companies just offering to service some of their overflow seasonal business for cut and trim. Would it be smart to put the price I am charging or to let them kinda dictate what they would let me do it for?

Thanks for all the help..good luck to all you guys next year!

Jimmy E.

feel free to email me

jpschmitt_75@yahoo.com

Big M LawnnSnow
11-27-2004, 04:21 AM
Some of us put a price on a flyer to personalize it, I for one don't like to do that for the simple reason I like to talk to the client and see what exactly there idea of lawn mowing is.
Some clients thing its a cut and trim amd others think I should paint there house too, if you get my drift here.
We can estimate how long it will take to do a property now just by looking at it, This comes with experience. Know what you need to make an hour to cover all costs and profit and stick to it.
The time it takes to do a yard depends on experience,conditions,what types of equipment used, how much trimming. Will you have help, ect.
Flyers are a good promo. How many per hundred? who knows? could be none, could be 20 it all depends on hitting the right area at the right time.
Put out 500 or 1000 for better results.
Once you get that first season under your belt it gets better.
Good Luck
MJ

Jim Edmonds
11-27-2004, 05:56 AM
Thanks for the advice..I appreciate it

Jimmy E.

gogetter
11-27-2004, 11:50 AM
[QUOTE=Jim Edmonds]
What would be an average number of clients I could expect to sign for every 100 flyers that I put out? [QUOTE]

I always figure between a 1% to 2% response. That's just response! That's fairly accurate for most people from what I've read here and elsewhere.
Then I figure landing anywhere from 25% to 50% of those that respond.
That's just my experience though.
My first year I landed over 70% of the ones that responded to my fliers, but I was inexperienced and was on the low side then.

[QUOTE] Also my business plan is to offer fertlization/pesticide services. [QUOTE]

If you haven't already read it here a hundred times, make sure you look into the proper licensing for this in your area.

Lux Lawn
11-27-2004, 01:35 PM
Jim
Are you giving up baseball for lawn care?let me be the first to tell you it does not pay as well. :)

I don't put price's on flier's either I like to talk to the homeowner walk the yard look for things like gates,swing sets,lawn furniture and anything else that may have to be worked around plus once you start talking to them sometimes you can get an idea of what they are willing to spend on there yard.

Welcome to Lawnsite.

tiedeman
11-27-2004, 06:57 PM
totally agree with gogetter on the response and landing them.

trial and error though Jim, you will learn

Team Gopher
11-29-2004, 05:44 PM
Hi Jim Edmonds,

Would writing an educational letter to the paper aimed at educating the public be very effective?

That sounds like a great idea. If you do this, could you send us a copy of it?