PDA

View Full Version : quiz for bobby. and info for the rest

YardPro
11-27-2004, 09:08 AM
bobby
you like quizzes, so here we go....

the answer to this will also help out some people here, so this post is not useless.

Explain in detail how fertilizer burns grass/plants.

bobbygedd
11-27-2004, 09:24 AM
i will not submit. i have 2 quizzes to you, and both are left with a very unthorough answer. quiz #2 especially. i want you to go back, and answer it properly. then maybe, JUST MAYBE, i'll submit to your silly, primitive, entry level questions

YardPro
11-27-2004, 09:35 AM
LOL,

i didn't think you would know

this is far from a primitive question. it's actually advanced, that's why you won't answer.... you can't...

i like how you try and divert attention. it's a juvenile tactic. it's like the 6 year old that want's to get attention by telling on what the other kid does.

i answered your questions. My answers are 100% accurate.

let's see how you do...

bobbygedd
11-27-2004, 09:40 AM
your answer to question #1 was bad, #2 was worse. you will have a difficult time trying to stump me. the difference though between you and i, is if i don't know i will tell you so. you, on the other hand, come up with a laim answer at best, and try to distract us from that point, by comming up with another quiz. go back, if u can, and answer the #2 quiz. if you don't just say you don't know. it's nothing to be ashamed of....i won't make fun of you :help: :sleeping:

YardPro
11-27-2004, 09:50 AM
guess you still don't know????

insults are the tools of the mentaly inferior in lieu of an intellegent response.

your questions are answered. sorry if the response was a bit over your head.

tell you what bobby.

i have a family that i will be spending the day with ( some of us have a life other than here).

i'll check back this afternoon and see if you have been able o find the answer anywhere. I know you don't know and will have to look for it becuase of a post you made earlier on the row of shrubs that died.

also bobby this is a very relevant question to all appliicators.

packerbacker
11-27-2004, 09:51 AM
Making more friends huh bobby?

bobbygedd
11-27-2004, 10:05 AM
ah yes, guys like you are known as "the weekend warrior." you spend 15 hrs a day, monday thru friday, cleaning the dog poop out of peoples yards. then cram saturday and sunday full of events for the family. that's sad son, very sad. i, on the other hand, am at my family's disposal 7 days a week. i don't wait till saturday to take my boys fishing, we go mon-fri, to avoid the weekend warrior scene. i don't take my wife out to dinner on saturday night, when you go to a resturaunt, they give you a beeper and a mixed drink, and notify you in 1.5 hrs that they have a table for you, then while you're eating they are in a mad rush to get you out, while on lookers, with thier own beepers, are peering thru the windows anticipating your every bite, so thay may be the next one seated. sad, very sad. your answer to the other quiz was satisfactory this time, not thorough enough for a good grade, but satisfactory, i'll give it a c+. unfortunately it took you 3 days to answer it, and 12 posts to get it right. i answered your quiz in 7 minutes, thoroughly explaining the entire proccess. i think you cheated. have a nice day standing in line. if you need me, i'll be lifting weights, drinking beer, and watching college football. now, on monday, while you are cleaning rotton leaves out of someones fishpond, i'll be at the movies with my family, and out to dinner. i hate weekend warriors, they are so, like, common

Bull
11-27-2004, 10:15 AM
YardPro, the answer is "kinda like pouring salt on a snails back" to much of a good thing is not always a good thing!

SodKing
11-27-2004, 10:23 AM
your close....

bobbygedd
11-27-2004, 10:24 AM
YardPro, the answer is "kinda like pouring salt on a snails back" to much of a good thing is not always a good thing!
yes bull, absolutely correct. these fools spent alot of $$$, and time on thier education, to cut grass and fertilize it. it's kind of like being 7'2" tall, and not good enough to make the basketball team. my thinking is, that the manufacturers of these products did all the scientific research for us. do i really need to waste my time and money on an education in a field that doesn't require one? it's like going to college to be a janitor. you will learn alot more in this field by minor education, and major hands on experience. and then these ladies try to stump me with entry level questions that THEY THINK are complicated. o boy. btw king, it's spelled "you're". yes, close, very,any idiot knows the answer to this question. yard mo had to learn it in college. though it's a bit more broad than only salt content

SodKing
11-27-2004, 10:32 AM
you never cease to amaze me with the garbage that flows from your CPU...

Dman1214
11-27-2004, 10:38 AM
simple osmosis

Joel B.
11-27-2004, 11:45 AM
Why don't you two do your bickering somewhere else.

packerbacker
11-27-2004, 11:50 AM
ah yes, guys like you are known as "the weekend warrior." you spend 15 hrs a day, monday thru friday, cleaning the dog poop out of peoples yards. then cram saturday and sunday full of events for the family. that's sad son, very sad. i, on the other hand, am at my family's disposal 7 days a week. i don't wait till saturday to take my boys fishing, we go mon-fri, to avoid the weekend warrior scene. i don't take my wife out to dinner on saturday night, when you go to a resturaunt, they give you a beeper and a mixed drink, and notify you in 1.5 hrs that they have a table for you, then while you're eating they are in a mad rush to get you out, while on lookers, with thier own beepers, are peering thru the windows anticipating your every bite, so thay may be the next one seated. sad, very sad. your answer to the other quiz was satisfactory this time, not thorough enough for a good grade, but satisfactory, i'll give it a c+. unfortunately it took you 3 days to answer it, and 12 posts to get it right. i answered your quiz in 7 minutes, thoroughly explaining the entire proccess. i think you cheated. have a nice day standing in line. if you need me, i'll be lifting weights, drinking beer, and watching college football. now, on monday, while you are cleaning rotton leaves out of someones fishpond, i'll be at the movies with my family, and out to dinner. i hate weekend warriors, they are so, like, common

ROFLMAO thats gotta be the stupidest thing i have ever read on this board. I actually feel dumber now that i have read that.

muddstopper
11-27-2004, 12:06 PM
And the reply from Bobby'

02-13-2001, 02:16 AM
bobbygedd *Millennium Member* Join Date: Nov 2000Location: NJPosts: 6,021

WOW, this really ruins my day. im in the process of subbing out my fert programs, and last year i used a company that was awfull, so this year im thinking of going with true green, as a matter of fact, im meeting with him friday to finalize the deal. today i read alot of bad things about them(here on lawn site), and now im worried. has anyone had any good experience with them? thanks BOB

bobbygedd
11-27-2004, 01:14 PM
ROFLMAO thats gotta be the stupidest thing i have ever read on this board. I actually feel dumber now that i have read that.
really? what's stupid about it? please explain

SodKing
11-27-2004, 01:18 PM
I believe the correct term would be "most stupid" as stupidest is not currently recognized as a word.

packerbacker
11-27-2004, 02:17 PM
really? what's stupid about it? please explain

Look at what you posted! Im trying to figure you out and that post explained everything.

Its no wonder your here most of the time. In your own admittance you barely work during the week. You spend your work week fishing, going to movies and taking your wife out to eat.

I was trying to figure out how a guy could have over
6000 posts in just 4 years. Well now we know how.

Its no wonder you think the way you do. You almost HAVE to rip customers off and make up bogus charges because you barely work.

This is sad, i knew there was a reason behind all the idiocy of your posts and now i know why.

packerbacker
11-27-2004, 02:22 PM
I believe the correct term would be "most stupid" as stupidest is not currently recognized as a word.

1 entry found for stupidest.
stu∑pid Audio pronunciation of "stupidest" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (stpd, sty-)
adj. stu∑pid∑er, stu∑pid∑est

1. Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.
2. Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.
3. Marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless: a stupid mistake.
4. Dazed, stunned, or stupefied.
5. Pointless; worthless: a stupid job.

n.

A stupid or foolish person.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=stupidest

bobbygedd
11-27-2004, 02:35 PM
this, comming from a man who admittedly lowers his prices to gain more clientelle. you , and others like you, are the heart of the matter when it comes to problems in this field. and hey, if you want to take your wife out (if you can afford it) on saturday nights, and wait in line like a bunch of cattle being led to the grazing fields, so be it. remember, you make up the majority, the "common" man, the ham and egger. thank god i'm not like that

tiedeman
11-27-2004, 03:41 PM
i will not submit. i have 2 quizzes to you, and both are left with a very unthorough answer. quiz #2 especially. i want you to go back, and answer it properly. then maybe, JUST MAYBE, i'll submit to your silly, primitive, entry level questions

you guys are hilarious :D

packerbacker
11-27-2004, 03:47 PM
this, comming from a man who admittedly lowers his prices to gain more clientelle. you , and others like you, are the heart of the matter when it comes to problems in this field. and hey, if you want to take your wife out (if you can afford it) on saturday nights, and wait in line like a bunch of cattle being led to the grazing fields, so be it. remember, you make up the majority, the "common" man, the ham and egger. thank god i'm not like that

When did i ever say that?

What i said was if someone comes up to me and asks me to do something 2-3 dollars cheaper then i will. I dont turn down business. Anyone who does is a fool.

And now your going to try to compare wallets to me??? LMAO , your a poster boy for INSECURITY!

You will have plenty of time to sit in a theatre when your out of business. Id take the money now if i was you.

bobbygedd
11-27-2004, 03:54 PM
i'm not comparing wallets. but, you said it yourself, you are a scrub, lowering your fee to get customers. shame on you. when i organise my nationwide union, you will have to start as an equipment cleaner, and work your way up.

packerbacker
11-27-2004, 04:42 PM
i'm not comparing wallets. but, you said it yourself, you are a scrub, lowering your fee to get customers. shame on you. when i organise my nationwide union, you will have to start as an equipment cleaner, and work your way up.

Telling someone that they cant afford to take their wife out for dinner and saying you can is comparing. And BTW only a LAZY fool would join a union.

SodKing
11-27-2004, 04:51 PM
1 entry found for stupidest.
stu∑pid Audio pronunciation of "stupidest" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (stpd, sty-)
adj. stu∑pid∑er, stu∑pid∑est

1. Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.
2. Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.
3. Marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless: a stupid mistake.
4. Dazed, stunned, or stupefied.
5. Pointless; worthless: a stupid job.

n.

A stupid or foolish person.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=stupidest

I stand corrected... :waving:

bobbygedd
11-27-2004, 04:55 PM
Telling someone that they cant afford to take their wife out for dinner and saying you can is comparing. And BTW only a LAZY fool would join a union.
that is wrong wrong wrong. a union will stand up for your rights....even though, you are afraid to.

olderthandirt
11-27-2004, 05:24 PM
Pretty broad and stupid statement you made there! Calling the steel workers the auto workers the meat packers, firefighters, police and 30 other million members lazy.
If it was not for those unions you would be making 1/4 of what you make now. Oh wait your heading that way anyhow with the $2-$3 less or was it $5 on the last post :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :waving:

Mac
And BTW only a LAZY fool would join a union.

timturf
11-27-2004, 05:26 PM
I think this threat should be deleted, or at least moved!!!!!!!!

bobbygedd
11-27-2004, 05:29 PM
i agree tim, these amatures are dragging us down

packerbacker
11-27-2004, 05:50 PM
Ahhhh, here comes all the regs out of the woodwork to blast someone for their opinion.

Heres my take on unions. Cry about not getting paid enough when most of them are making well over $30.00 an hour.

Cry about benefits when most of them get 100% paid insurance.

So what do they do?

They strike, they sit there and whine about not making enough when if they are so unhappy about their job all they have to do it go get a new one.

And yes..its that easy.

packerbacker
11-27-2004, 05:52 PM
that is wrong wrong wrong. a union will stand up for your rights....even though, you are afraid to.

You crack me up booby. Have we ever met? Im pretty sure i would remember you. But i dont think we have. Since we havent met heres what you have called me

Afraid
Scared
Poor
Stupid

And thats after the fact you have threatned me OVER THE INTERNET!

Dont you have a movie to go see or a value meal to order?

olderthandirt
11-27-2004, 06:14 PM
Ahhhh, here comes all the regs out of the woodwork to blast someone for their opinion.

Heres my take on unions. Cry about not getting paid enough when most of them are making well over $30.00 an hour.

So what do they do?

They strike, they sit there and whine about not making enough when if they are so unhappy about their job all they have to do it go get a new one.

And yes..its that easy.

That what you don't understand :dizzy: They don't have to becoase they are union and when they make that extra $2-$3 more per hr, thats more money they have to spend on other things. Like lawn care and landscaping, dam you need to talk to someone that remembers what it was like before the unions and maybe you would understand you don't have to cut prices to get work. Did you go to school and they did not teach about the industrial growth in the last century? Trickle down econimics? cost of living?

Mac

muddstopper
11-27-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by packerbacker

So what do they do?

And yes..its that easy.

That what you don't understand :dizzy: They don't have to becoase they are union and when they make that extra $2-$3 more per hr, thats more money they have to spend on other things. Like lawn care and landscaping, dam you need to talk to someone that remembers what it was like before the unions and maybe you would understand you don't have to cut prices to get work. Did you go to school and they did not teach about the industrial growth in the last century? Trickle down econimics? cost of living?

Mac
Bobby has out smarted both of you. He has managed to complety change the subject and actually have you to argueing with ech other instead of him.

Cool Bobby

Green Dreams
11-27-2004, 06:27 PM
The Brotherhood of American Lawn Care Workers... sounds good...

packerbacker
11-27-2004, 07:26 PM

Mac

Older, my point is, if you dont like it or you think you are getting screwed then get a new job.

I guess my distaste of unions started when i was a senior in high school and i had a job working for a plumbing company part time. I was 17 years old looking for some beer money. When i was at work my older coworkers would have to hide me in the van when the union guys came by.

One time they found me working and asked for my card, i didnt have one and didnt know what to say.

Low and behold the next day i have stuff spray painted all my truck and on the tailgate it says in big white letters UNION.

Ever since then i havent really given 2 S**** about them.

But anyway its my opinion and im entitled to it.

bobbygedd
11-27-2004, 07:51 PM
be glad the only thing painted was the truck

Ric
11-27-2004, 08:30 PM
i am the king of this forum and your are just a visitor

BooBy

Thank you for leading LS in a totally new direction. Without your Divine guidance LS would just be another information ex-chance forum. I am so glad to see you run off all those boring posters of yesterdays LS, Like Groundskeeper and Tremor.

Please continue to keep up the good work. I am behind you 100%. Besides who really care if fertilizer burns grass. Heck let those Nerds and Geeks visit the University website and let us keep LS on the road to depravity.

Dman1214
11-27-2004, 08:56 PM
I am fairly new to the site, kind of found it by accident. I enjoy the intelligent exchange that goes on, but this useles garbage should be cleaned up - ban these morons!

bobbygedd
11-27-2004, 10:25 PM
I am fairly new to the site, kind of found it by accident. I enjoy the intelligent exchange that goes on, but this useles garbage should be cleaned up - ban these morons!
that's no way to talk about ric. and ric, if i "ran off" these gentlemen, it only meant they were spineless.

GrazerZ
11-27-2004, 11:29 PM
this whole thread is foolish....

olderthandirt
11-27-2004, 11:47 PM
The Brotherhood of American Lawn Care Workers... sounds good...
Amen to that
If it would only become reality.
Mac

K.Carothers
11-28-2004, 12:17 AM
Amen to that
If it would only become reality.
Mac

With all due respect olderthandirt, I would not join. I see no value in paying union dues out of my earnings. I work hard for my pay(I'm not saying union workers do not) but I can't see my dues going to a fat cat union boss. Yes, unions started because of employer abuse but now they(the top brass) are in the same business as corporate america executives. They don't get laid off, the union members do. They live a lavish lifestyle, the union members don't. They don't picket in below zero temps, the union members do. And yet, they are speaking for "the people". Just my 2 cents. :waving:

Bull
11-28-2004, 01:18 AM
So Packerbacker, what you are saying is that at one time you were a Scrub Plumber? Working without all the right credentials, dragging down the industry. Shame on you. By the way you and a fella on this site by the name of "Charles" should look each other up now that winter is coming on. You could probably keep each other warm with all the hot air both of you have been throwing around. And go ahead and include Ric and YardPro and make it a foursome. Bottom line for all these related threads is that not any of us know's everything concerning all aspects of this business. But if the need arises we seek out the correct answers / methods and increase our knowledge base. From that point we grow. We will all one day have the opportunity to watch the effects of liquid or granulated fertilizers on root systems while we lay face up six feet under and some poor sap mows across us. Maybe my caretaker will be Wednesday's bonus girl riding on a velkie with a skirt on. True happiness.

YardPro
11-28-2004, 08:21 AM
well i seee bobby has managed to steer yet another thread into the garbage.

Since it's obvious he doesn't know the answer i'll give it for all those who want a little extra knowledge about thier profession.

water is transported into the plant root thorugh passive diffusion. the plant does not pull it in it is pushed in by an osmotic pressure difference.

when you have two different concentrations ( more and less dissolved solids in the water), and they are connected between a permeable membrane, the water will try and equalize the concentations. water will flow on the diffusion gradient from the side with less dissolved solids (higher concentration of water) to the side with more dissolved solids (less concentration of water).

this is how a root works. there are more solids dissolved in the water in the root than the water outside of the root.
this forms a diffusion gradient and water is forced into the root.

when you apply too much fertilizer it alters this gradient, and can even reverse it.
As the dissolved solids concentration (fertilizer ions, salt. etc.) rise in the water outside the root, there is less of a gradient, and less water is forced in to the root.
If you get a higher concentation outside the root, the water will flow out of the root.

the effects of over fertilization are the same as drought, becuase the plant looses the ability to uptake water.

Now, how is this information usefull to LCO's???

1. watch fertilizations when plants/turf is heat/drought stressed, as it can make it worse.

2. If your plants/urf start to burn a good way to combat the effects is to apply a vapor guard (wilt proof), and flood the ground. The vapor guard will help stop the transpiration loss from the leaves, minimizing the water demand. Flooding the ground for long periods will help to dilute the fertilizer

hope this helps. some people out.

Bull
11-28-2004, 09:48 AM
Funny thing YardPro is that I knew #1 and #2 without ever being explained all that stuff posted above. An old man at a nursery told me years ago, Bull, don't never fertilize during real hot periods accompanied by dry conditions and if you ever spill a pile of fertilizer on someones yard clean up as much as you can then soak the sh_ _ out of it with water. I think I gained all that in about 45 seconds. I'm a quick learner and he was a good teacher. So get back to the books Grasshopper and let us continue to evaluate your level of knowledge.

packerbacker
11-28-2004, 10:10 AM
So Packerbacker, what you are saying is that at one time you were a Scrub Plumber? Working without all the right credentials, dragging down the industry. Shame on you. By the way you and a fella on this site by the name of "Charles" should look each other up now that winter is coming on. You could probably keep each other warm with all the hot air both of you have been throwing around. And go ahead and include Ric and YardPro and make it a foursome. Bottom line for all these related threads is that not any of us know's everything concerning all aspects of this business. But if the need arises we seek out the correct answers / methods and increase our knowledge base. From that point we grow. We will all one day have the opportunity to watch the effects of liquid or granulated fertilizers on root systems while we lay face up six feet under and some poor sap mows across us. Maybe my caretaker will be Wednesday's bonus girl riding on a velkie with a skirt on. True happiness.

ROFLMAO, no bull, i was a 17 year old kid looking for some money with a part time job. What kind of BS lies are you going to spin now? I see your just another tool looking to start an argument. Maybe you and the rest of the sheep here could cuddle this winter to keep each other warm. If at ANY point in ANY of my posts you can find something that UNTRUE i emplore you to bring it to my attention.

Ill be wating patiently tough guy.

packerbacker
11-28-2004, 10:11 AM
Funny thing YardPro is that I knew #1 and #2 without ever being explained all that stuff posted above. An old man at a nursery told me years ago, Bull, don't never fertilize during real hot periods accompanied by dry conditions and if you ever spill a pile of fertilizer on someones yard clean up as much as you can then soak the sh_ _ out of it with water. I think I gained all that in about 45 seconds. I'm a quick learner and he was a good teacher. So get back to the books Grasshopper and let us continue to evaluate your level of knowledge.

LOL, quick learner huh?

bobbygedd
11-28-2004, 10:20 AM
and he STILL, DID NOT, answer my homogonous question. but that was interesting there about the roots and all yardpro. tell me, how much $, and how much time have you WASTED on this truly useless information? bull learned this from "an old man at the nursery", it took 45 seconds (twice as long as your first sexual experience, but, who will ever know....there was no one there but you....) , and you needed to go to college to learn what bull learned in 45 seconds. you make me laugh, i can't even get mad at your insults, i just think you're funny

muddstopper
11-28-2004, 11:12 AM
I wonder where the old man at the nursery learned it? Could it be that he had taken a few horticulture course and obtained this information from his teacher. Or maybe he just stumbled across it by accident. The main thing is that he was able to use this information and provide a learning experience to his student. It has long been established that hands on experience will train a person faster than an advanced education. The problem with hands on training is that you may learn how someting works but you dont learn why something works. For instance you now know that high salt concentrations will compete against the plant roots for moisture but do you know how or why?

bobbygedd
11-28-2004, 11:18 AM
but mudd, does it really matter? i'm not manufacturing these products, i'm applying them. if i took the time to get to the "root", of everything there is to know in life, it would be a waste of time. i eat. i don't know how every body part contributes to the digestion proccess, but still, i eat. i have basic knowledge of what foods are healthy, what foods are not. do i need to learn exactly how the pancreas contributes to the digestive process? no, i do not. but still, i eat. and my eating is successful

SodKing
11-28-2004, 11:32 AM
I will stipulate that not everyone needs to know why something happens, ex. why excess fertilizer burns the turf, but it is important that some people do. It is up to the people who know the science behind the result to pass along their knowledge.

One problem is when people who don't know the science behind the result start to pass on what little they do know, or think they know. That is how "old wives tales" start. The moth balls to discourage skunks gets me. Somewhere in history someone had an issue with skunks and they decided to put out mothballs (poor little moths ;) ) to discourage the skunks. Son of a gun the skunk didn't come by after that, little did they know the skunk was run over by a car one street over. They incorrectly deduced that it was the mothballs that must have deterred the skunk and they passed that info on and so on and so on.

So bobby doesn't have to know why something happens as long as he doesn't try to teach anyone what little he doesn't know. At the same time Booby should recognize that it is very important that people like Ric, yardpro, muddstopper, myself, are in this industry. We raise the bar, we improve our industry. I receive hundreds of calls each year from peers seeking advise on the science behind what they are doing or what they are seeing on their lawns. We do that here on lawnsite.

So bobby, while you don't feel the need for a formal education, it does have its value to the industry. Instead of bashing us, you should thank us as we have allowed you to know what you do and if you needed information on a topic we would be happy to help.

J&R
11-28-2004, 11:33 AM
Bobby would be the type of person to cross a picket line to work just to buy his beer.

muddstopper
11-28-2004, 11:45 AM
And if someone didnt take the time to learn about these products, there would not be anyone manufacureing the products. You claim to know that you know what is healthy to eat but how did you learn what was healthy or not. Do you have to know what a pancreas does inorder to eat. No, but if you want to know how to repair a pancreas when its not healthy you need to know more about it. Same thing for turf. Certainly not everyone here has the time or resources to seek a higher level of education to better undeerstand what is going on in the soil and how it effects the health of the turff. We relie on other peoples education to tell us what we need to know. For you maybe all you need to know is what is written on the bag but, if it wasnt for people like Ric and others that have taken the time and resources to learn what the plant needs, you wouldnt have instruction on the bag to go by. Its not enought to just read the lable and use according to instructions, you must also learn the symptoms that neccesitate the use of the chemicals contained in the bag. Can you learn this without a university education, certainly, on hands experience will give you enough education to get by. Ask yourself this, is the person giving you the hands on experience someone that knows no more than you do or is it someone that has already been trained to do what it is they do. Did their training come froim hands on experience or did they also attend a school to learn a little more about the subject. Either way, by observing that person, you are actually being taught the subject in a manner the eliminates some of the trail and error that would be associated with trying to learn it by yourself, without the benefit of an instructor or teacher. It also will take just as long to learn or longer as it would if you went to a school where there where more quailifired instructors.
As to you knowing what is the proper food to eat, here is a post by you that might prove that you dont know as much as you think you do.

08-02-2001, 12:49 AM

hurtin for certain sup folks, every february i am gung ho, feeling great, cant wait to get started on cleanups etc. but, every year about this time, i am reminded of my mortality. its becoming very rough getting out of bed in the morning, and it takes 3 cups (big ones too) of coffee to jump start my heart. once i get going im fine, then , when we quit for the day, every bone and muscle in my 35 yr old body aches(and i mean bad). this usually goes on till after leaf season(dec. 15th) and takes about a month of bear like hibernation for me to bounce back. anyone else feel like this? ive seen my doctor several times about this, and aside from needing to lose about 20 lbs, he says im fine.

bobbygedd
11-28-2004, 01:25 PM
i was working 2 jobs back then. one in a factory filled with chemical fumes. i was working 18 hrs a day sometimes. sodking, that's good. we all apreciate you. but, from a personal standpoint, i have to wonder why guys like you and ric needed this education, just to make the same money as the rest of us. generally, the higher the level of education, the more eployable you are, the more you're worth (as an employee). from a dollar and cents standpoint, i don't think you fellas charge more for your service than i do.

SodKing
11-28-2004, 01:39 PM
In college I spent about 6 hours a day, every day, in the labs. Do I use any of the info garnered there on a daily basis. The answer is cloudy, yes and no. I may be able to better pick a product for the conditions of the application do to my knowledge of how a product may act in the soil.

When I consult at golf courses or local schools I am called on for my expertise which I have because of my education. Consulting fees are usually in excess of $185/hour.

I find competing with others is easier once the homeowner or manager finds out my degree of education. it makes for an esier sale because they have anexpert on hand.

I have testified for courts of law as an expert.

I am a mentor to several other landscape companies.

All this because I am well educated.

Henry Ford once said, " I invented nothing new. I simply assembled into a car the discoveries of other men." So while you, bobby, are Henry Ford, I am a discoverer.

bobbygedd
11-28-2004, 01:46 PM
fine. great . god bless america, where a wretch like me can make a nice living, in the shadow of your greatness. kidding. ok then, simple, FOR WHAT YOU DO, your education was worthwhile. FOR WHAT I DO, no education required. have a great day

muddstopper
11-28-2004, 02:23 PM
fine. great . god bless america, where a wretch like me can make a nice living, in the shadow of your greatness. kidding. ok then, simple, FOR WHAT YOU DO, your education was worthwhile. FOR WHAT I DO, no education required. have a great day

Boby, I disagree with your last post. An education is required. You, whether you realizie it or not, have recieved an education just by participating in this forum. You claim you do not have to spend the time in a school to get the education but you spend countless hours on this forum, 6000+post, to learn what you know. You are also an educator, in that you share the knowledge that you have gained here with others, that dont know as much as you. You are getting more educated everyday, you just dont realize it. To me there is no difference in spending time going to school to learn a field as there would be spending the time doing research to learn what you need to know. With over 6000 post in a period of 4 or 5 years you have probably spent as much time reseaching the turf industy as a lot of others that choose to attend a University. Your level of knowledge might be limited in some subjects but you probably excell in others. One difference is that on this forum you can get different opinions from others that already have the experience, in a University you get the opinons, backed up with facts, from others that already have the experience.

05-04-2001, 12:58 PM

sounds like u know your stuff, thanks alot , i will definitly do things a little different now

trying 2b organic
11-28-2004, 03:14 PM
I always assumed fert burn was the same phenomenon that causes burn from female dog urine. That it was an over-dose of N. I was facinated by this info and knowing the cure for fert burn is helpful also.

Would you EVER, even if they have irrigation, apply a typical 3-1-2 fert in the summer? Even my customers with irrigation have stressed grass and very slow growth during July and Aug. ty.

edit, it occurred to me that the fact we grow P. Ryegrass may be a factor in how stressed the turf is mid summer. Good for the cool rainy winters but not heat tolerant like K. Blue i think.

timturf
11-28-2004, 06:40 PM
Would you EVER, even if they have irrigation, apply a typical 3-1-2 fert in the summer? Even my customers with irrigation have stressed grass and very slow growth during July and Aug.

It's depends on when it's applied, to what turf, how much, condition of turf, fert anaylsis, and the ingredients in the bag, not that it's an typical 3-1-2 fert in the summer!

Norm Al
11-30-2004, 03:20 PM
i would do that which would make me the most money!

timturf
11-30-2004, 05:05 PM

Isn't it your responsiblity to provide a quality turf, while making a good profit!

kickin sum grass
11-30-2004, 07:01 PM
WOW. theres 20 wasted minutes of my life I will never get back. Can anybody tell me what this thread was about?

SodKing
11-30-2004, 07:23 PM
I don't recall....

Norm Al
12-01-2004, 01:35 PM
timturf
Senior Member Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: central virgina, transition, plant hardy zone 7a, and heat index zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Al

Isn't it your responsiblity to provide a quality turf, while making a good profit!

isnt THAT what would make me the most money?

YardPro
12-03-2004, 07:09 PM
to all the guys that replied about not needing an education ......

you're right lawn boys don't need an education to cut grass and through out some fertilizer.

BUT

as another here said, knowing why something happens will help to avoid it happening, and will help you get out of a situation if it does..

here's an example

After we have a hurricane here should you fertilize to help the injured plants recover?????

NO,

Knowing how fert. burns plants will give you the foresight that there will be ALOT of NaCl in the soil from the salt spray of the storm. since NaCl is ionic it dissociates in H2O. this increases the dissolved solids in the soil. it will then be much easier to avoid burning the material.

same will go for the northern guys if you're using salt as a de icer. the salt will deposit along the walkways etc....

there are alot of other things learned in school like calculating ohms law ( comes into play with nightlighting, pumps, and valce wires)

using bernoulii's principal to help with irrigation ( it's the single most important principal in irrigation) and many more

The main advantage is when wou are asked "why" by the client. you can give them an accurate intellegent answer instead of "uh, well an old tree farmer told me......)

Also everybody needs to thank the guys that are well educated in our field. they are the agronomists that keep our industry running.
they are the Phd's that diligently make the chemicals we spray, the fertilizers we use, and make the grasses we mow better.

bobbygedd
12-03-2004, 07:12 PM
yes yardpro, no need to thank me now though, wait till tommorow

YardPro
12-03-2004, 07:23 PM
bobby why, if you knew this already did you not explain this to the lady that wanted her shrubs that died replaced.

if you knew this you should have put two and two together.

hummm.. August, new plants, no rain and liq. fert had been applied.

see, if you knew this info, you should have suggested transpiration inhibitor, etc.

you knew when you gave her the warranty that another company was doing the ferts.

but you posted here that you didn't know how they died, and should you replace them????

YardPro
12-03-2004, 07:33 PM
that's a prime example where knowing this stuff will help you out.

in a conflict with another company the knowledge will help you.

and being able to explain why there was a problem sould have immediately put the replacement responsibility on them.

as soon as she called you could have told her ( if you knew) That the plants were killed by the fertilizer app. She of course would have asked why you think that was the cuase. then you could explain in detail to her how they were burned and gone into the incompedence of the fert. application company for not knowing better than to fert the new shrubs in aug, in a drought...

it would have gotten you a fert customer for next year.

even if it was over her head she would have been dazzeled by your knowledge of your profession and trusted your opinion even more.

the other instance where knowledge comes into play is when you need to dissuade a customer from doing something that they should not.
you have a customer that thinks they know what to do , but they don't. You will be better equipped to explain to the customer why for example they should not be applying lime, but sulphur instead (in our area), and why they should not be applying the 50-0-0 that thier farmer brother gave them to thier centipede in april......

bobbygedd
12-03-2004, 07:40 PM
guess i should have gone to college so that i could learn that, just for her and her stupid azealeas???? i learn what i need to learn. i don't do fertilizing of plants. that's a whole new game, and personally i'm not interested. again, there is such a thing as useless knowledge

SodKing
12-03-2004, 09:01 PM
Well then your not professional if you don't have the tree/shrub endorsement on your pesticide lic...

bobbygedd
12-03-2004, 09:06 PM
Well then your not professional if you don't have the tree/shrub endorsement on your pesticide lic...
in the eyes of the state of new jersey, i am qualified, and legal, to operate a full service LAWN SERVICE. thanx again

SodKing
12-03-2004, 09:39 PM
I was just digging you...

bobbygedd
12-03-2004, 09:56 PM
I was just digging you...
as usual. you guys are worse than the gangs in newark. gangin up on me like that

YardPro
12-04-2004, 09:08 AM
guess i should have gone to college so that i could learn that, just for her and her stupid azealeas???? i learn what i need to learn. i don't do fertilizing of plants. that's a whole new game, and personally i'm not interested. again, there is such a thing as useless knowledge

lol,

bobby, you go to college to expand your mind. to be exposed to new information and to learn problem solving skills.
You are to defensive. I am not saying that a person that went to college is any better than a person who didn't.

I would NEVER recommend someone not going if they have the oppotunity.
I made that point about the azealeas becuase you were arguing that there was no need to know this stuff.
the azealeas are just one example where it could have helped you.

and also you claimed to have long known the info. If you had tou would have presented it to the woman and would not have yet another unhappy customer.

knowing more about your trade will ALWAYS help you. There is NEVER a down side to it.
There is a down side to not knowing these things.
so go ahead bobby and stick your head in a hole in the ground and let others educate themselves, and eventually put you out of business.

bobbygedd
12-04-2004, 09:28 AM
wrong, wrong, wrong again. i'll tell you why. i am very competant, that's a fact. now, my competitors are made up of two different groups. the first group= the over educated, many employees, very competant, but low priced impersonal services. by impersonal i mean the owner is not on site, and usually difficult to get ahold of. the clients seem to dislike this. the second group= the low level, one or two member operations, who have litterally no knowledge about what they are doing. they provide LABOR, they aren't knowledgable, and they don't carry the permits they need. these are the two PRIMARY types of services available to the public. where does that leave me? it MAKES ME UNIQUE! how so? inspite of my small operation, i am capable of providing any service they require, i am competant, knowledgable, easy to get ahold of, and usually on site. i carry the proper licensing. that makes my business a very UNIQUE one. while large operations like yours need to gross a million a year, just to float and cover your greens fees, small operations like mine, will be higher in price, but provide a better service, and only need to gross 120,000 k to live large. p.s.....golf is for losers, and butt kissers. have a nice day, i'm going to clean leaves.

YardPro
12-04-2004, 10:10 AM
boy you ARE suffering from delusions of grandure.

anyone who has a larger business than you has an impersonal sevice and has unhappy customers.

anyone smaller than you is a scrub......

bobbygedd
12-04-2004, 03:38 PM
the larger businesses drive prices down (yes, i'm calling you a lowballer), the smaller business don't have the knowledge, so they give the impression that landscapers are stupid. the middle man (me) is the true proffesional. knowledgable enough, but not over educated. capable of choosing my clientelle, and setting my prices above average (i don't have $15,000 a week in overhead, like you guys, and no need to lower my fees because i need the work, to pay the bills). so the fact remains, the big companies wreck the industry , the tiny/un knowledgable companies wreck the industry, the mid man (me) is the cream of the crop. :cool: :cool:

SodKing
12-04-2004, 03:53 PM
I would have a hard time calling the owner of the largest Landscape companies in my area that he is unprofessional because he was so successful at what he did he got big. You don't get large unless you are doing somethimg right.

bobbygedd
12-04-2004, 04:00 PM
I would have a hard time calling the owner of the largest Landscape companies in my area that he is unprofessional because he was so successful at what he did he got big. You don't get large unless you are doing somethimg right.
yes, all for me, all for me. these big companies ruin prices. they buy a million $$$ worth of equipment, have hundreds of employees, cut 12,000 lawns a week, at low, low rates. he buys spray rigs, gets 2,000 customers, and sells his cute little applications for $32 each. sure, the owner is doing good, but he's destroying the business as a whole.

Ric
12-04-2004, 06:17 PM
yes, all for me, all for me. these big companies ruin prices. they buy a million $$$ worth of equipment, have hundreds of employees, cut 12,000 lawns a week, at low, low rates. he buys spray rigs, gets 2,000 customers, and sells his cute little applications for $32 each. sure, the owner is doing good, but he's destroying the business as a whole.

Hello BooBy

Very good point about the big boys Like TrueGreen Low-Balling prices. Now what is the BEST way to compete against them?? Could the answer be to get a real ""COLLEGE"" education and provide a superior Professional service at REAL price???

BTW BooBy not everyone shops at WalMart like you. Some people can actually afford to Buy Designer Clothes and Buy There household Furnishing from UpScale Stores.

bobbygedd
12-04-2004, 07:25 PM
and of course the old man has to chime in. somebody retire this old bat, he's getting senile for sure.

Ric
12-05-2004, 10:28 AM
and of course the old man has to chime in. somebody retire this old bat, he's getting senile for sure.

BooBy

You are letting your ignorant show once again. Any time someone makes a point on you, you change the subject and attack that person. In my case you have repeatedly attacked my age. Now age is Experience, and Experience is Knowledge. I am old enough to be your father and almost old enough to be your Grandfather.

Now I am not going to make commends about how I wore a Mullet in the late 60's and Traveled around. Or how the best part of you could have run down my leg. But I will Ask HOW MUCH IS SEAN PAYING YOU TO POST??? Age discrimination is in the Lawnsite Rules. Apparently those rule don't apply to you. Therefore take this and your next personal attack which is the repetitive "Blow up Doll" and kindly place them where the Sun does not shine.

bobbygedd
12-05-2004, 02:29 PM
"old bat" is a figure of speach. kind of like referring to my wife as my "old lady", it does not make reference to her age.

Ric
12-05-2004, 06:38 PM
"old bat" is a figure of speach. kind of like referring to my wife as my "old lady", it does not make reference to her age.

BooBy

I realize that calling your wife "Old Lady" is a real class act. However I believe everyone will agree Your Post was age slanderous. But nice try on getting your foot out of your mouth. Unfortuantely It didn't work.

Now why don't you just reply to my first question about how to deal with Low Ball Corporation pricing.

YardPro
12-05-2004, 07:27 PM
the larger businesses drive prices down (yes, i'm calling you a lowballer), the smaller business don't have the knowledge, so they give the impression that landscapers are stupid. the middle man (me) is the true proffesional. knowledgable enough, but not over educated. capable of choosing my clientelle, and setting my prices above average (i don't have $15,000 a week in overhead, like you guys, and no need to lower my fees because i need the work, to pay the bills). so the fact remains, the big companies wreck the industry , the tiny/un knowledgable companies wreck the industry, the mid man (me) is the cream of the crop. :cool: :cool:

i guess you won't see this for a few days since i'm on your ignore list, but i am sure you'll se it eventually.

You slip up and forget what you say bobby.
you told me i was giving my work away when i said we brought in $100K with 65 residential clients. Then when I posted a quote from you with some of your prices, and compaired your $35.00 10K sqft yard to out $35.00 yard ( with only 500 sq feet of grass). you called me a liar and said that there was no way that someone would pay $35.00 for a 500 sq ft lawn........

then later you said that most of your accounts had a total bill of $800.00 for the year (excluding leaf cleanup).

now let's do the math. if we had your pricing we would only be bringing in half of the amount we do.

65 X 800 =$52,000.00/year

so who's the lowballer.

also bobby large companies can sometimes do work cheaper becuase they can be more efficent.

Do you shop at wal-mart????
bet you do.. they use the same principal that you are saying is wrecking our industry. Lower prices becuase of sheer volume.
they are putting mom and pop's out of business all over the country.
are they not making money??? they're very profitable.

and bobby, you can never be overeducated.
and we are very choosy about our clientele, you are the one who is constantly having problem customers, beople bitching, and people not paying.

if you are choosey about YOUR customers I guess you're choosing the wrong ones.. LOL

Norm Al
12-05-2004, 07:47 PM
ric you have an old bat?

Ric
12-05-2004, 09:15 PM
ric you have an old bat?

Scott

Yes in fact I do. I just moved this last week and found it deep in the closet. It is an Aluminum model and has a lot of Duck tape on the handle part. BTW I have not played Base Ball in many years, So it is very old in deed.