PDA

View Full Version : Electric vs. gas rig

breckslawncare
11-28-2004, 01:02 PM
After reading some of the other responses I know I'm throwing myself to the wolves here, but you've all provided great information.
I am as well piloting a fert/weed control program in my LCO, I am liscensed and (newley) certified.
I know that nearly all applications can be done granular, but I think people in my community are so used to seeing Chemlawn using liquid applications that I need to do that as well in order to effectivley compete with them.
We are possibly building our own spray rig and my question is do I need to use a gas powered pump or is there an electric pump suitable for this type of application.

upidstay
11-29-2004, 12:57 AM
We use an electric pump for our Lesco 40 gallon sprayer. It came from Lesco like that. It is certainly more convenient than gas, and a heck of alot quieter. Just have to remember to leave the truck running or you kill the battery. Ours hooks directly up to the truck battery via cables.

vegomatic40
11-29-2004, 09:37 AM
A lot depends on the daily sq.ft. you plan on producing and, whether or not you decide on including the fert with any pesticides in the tank. Electrics are fine for spot treating small areas with weed controls, insecticides and fungicides but they lack the volume/pressure required for larger areas and will offer limited agitation to keep pesticides in-solution. Gas rigs are noisy but consume less fuel than a idling V-8 and provide a wide range of volume/pressures that are often required to apply many products.
Consider a fiberglass tank gas rig with mechanical agitation for large-volume lawn applications. A small, poly-tank electric rig will be ok for "spread then spray" treatments. Whichever you choose, stay away from the "hand crank" style hose reels common on termite trucks. Electric or P.T.O. driven hose reels are the only productive way to go. Another thing to ponder is the size of the spray-hose you will be using. Most rigs come with a standard 1/2" I.D. high-pressure hose. This is great for higher pressures (200-800 psi) needed for Tree/Shrub applications but, is probably over-kill for typical lawn treatments. A smaller, lighter 3/8" hose is ideal for lawn app.s and makes a huge difference at the end of a long day of prodution. You can also put more of this size spray hose on the reel (over 500 ft.) for those monster lawns or spraying multiple lawns with one long pull. Hope this helps.

GREENITUP
11-29-2004, 11:09 AM
Breck - I am also getting ready to put together a spray rig - however, I have had the benefit of making thousands of spray apps. for another company. As another post stated, you get better pressure with the gas engine / pump - but for turf, do you need it that much? We used electric pumps @ 1.5 gallons a minute from a 200 gallon tank with great success. They are quiet (customers like it) and do a fine job - provided you have a good filtration set up going. DO NOT RUN ANY IRON THROUGH IT - TRUST ME! You can rebuild both when they wear out or replace the electric for about $80 (check out Northern tool). You will want a pressure regulator to get your flow rate where you want it - do a bucket test and spray away. Electric reel is a must! Good luck.

breckslawncare
11-29-2004, 09:51 PM
So is a "rig" my best way to go?
My client base is pretty meger, this is merley a pilot program, but I have little compition in the area and expect a decent response this coming season.
I'm open to entertaining alot of options, have any suggestions?

ArchiesLawns
11-29-2004, 11:29 PM
what pump are you using? Can you give me some specifics, as model, rate, hose size etc...

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Archie

breckslawncare
11-30-2004, 10:39 PM
Archie,
I've got nothing right now. I'm starting from ground zero.
I'm using the off season for R&D and planning to have a working program by spring.
Basicly, what I want to do is fert & pesticide (broadleaf control) program.
I've been a closet LCO for three years, mowing, tree-trimming, and brush removal. As well, I worked for a pest control company (bugs). And I love it all.
By pecking order in my area, it's come time for us to step up to the plate and make a serious go in the lawn care industry.
I guess instead of what pump to use, I'd really like to know what stone to stand on.
I'm tossing around a handfull of ideas as far as beginners equipment. Have any suggestions?
My client base is mostly residential.