PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Brake Controllers

Gatewayuser
11-28-2004, 09:35 PM
I'm going to be getting a new trailer this week with brakes and I need to get a brake controller what kind of controller do you all recommend. Also is a 14ft tandem big enough for a wb and a zero turn rider?
Any comments would be helpful!
Thanks!

jaybird
11-28-2004, 09:45 PM
we went through this a while back on our truck most parts house carry the brake control. it depends on the degree of slope where you mount it in the cab. some wont work on a slope we got one thru a rv parts catolog wasnt much more. trailor lenth get it a little longer than you think you need.

twwlawn
11-28-2004, 10:54 PM
The dealer where I bought my trailers has the brake controllers. When I get another truck, I have them install it. www.northerntool.com carries a few. Hope this helps.

Congrats getting a trailer, I would recommend 16' or more also.
twwlawn

PLM-1
11-28-2004, 11:52 PM
I have a hoppy with the digital read out and error codes. I personally like the non-pendulum controllers so you can mount them anywhere at any angle.

ProMo
11-29-2004, 07:08 AM
I use a prodigy I purchased on ebay works much beetter in stop and go traffic jordan is another good brand

Premo Services
11-29-2004, 11:14 AM
I have a prodigy controller, and it works great.
On the 14ft trailer, I would get a longer one if it was me, I have a 6.5x 16ft tandem trailer and have a lazer 52 inch and a turftracer 48inch. When I have the ultra vac on the lazer, there is only a couple feet open in the trailer. When I bought the 16 foot trailer, I thought this will be way enough room, but if I expand more, I will need a bigger trailer.

Gatewayuser
11-29-2004, 04:35 PM
Thanks for all the help!!! I just bought a P.J. 16ft tandem with side gate & rear gate, brakes, diamond plate fenders, GVWR 7000lbs.
I'm going to have the brake controller installed for $200 with controller. I might post a pic of it Wednesday. The controller is a Drawtite 5500.

ProMo
11-29-2004, 05:43 PM
just a couple of quotes from an rv forum
" When I purchased my FW, I did not do much research on the brake controller. I ended up getting a Drawtite 5500. It is a time delayed type of controller with 2 adjustments. One is the maximum braking applied to the trailer and two is the aggresiveness the braking is applied. On a clear highway it works fine. I did get caught in traffic and the repeated stop and go was very jerky with the trailer. I did not like this at all. I am new to this and am not sure if this is expected or my controller is garbage. I have read of the Prodigy controller and the writeups all sound good. If I switch to the prodigy will I see a difference in the ride? Any experience here would be appreciated.

" Take the DrawTite out and run over it with the TV. Install the Prodigy and enjoy it. It is a night and day difference. I know because my original setup came with the DrawTite. Piece of junk. Prodigy was one of the best things I ever spent money on."

you re paying someone over a hundredtwenty dollars to hook up 4 wires?

Gatewayuser
11-29-2004, 06:01 PM
No its 7 wires and electric wiring for the brakes that includes connectors and wires. They told me that the Drawtite 5500 is the favorite with them.
They said also that it will work best with my new trailer.

PLM-1
11-29-2004, 06:42 PM
Thanks for all the help!!! I just bought a P.J. 16ft tandem with side gate & rear gate, brakes, diamond plate fenders, GVWR 7000lbs.
I'm going to have the brake controller installed for $200 with controller. I might post a pic of it Wednesday. The controller is a Drawtite 5500.

why are you "getting it installed"? it is really easy. $200 seems steep too. My controller was less than $100 and took about 30 mins to install.

Gatewayuser
11-29-2004, 06:48 PM
Mine is having all new trailer wiring installed. It has no brake control wires also. It going to be $80 in labor. The rest is wires, connectors and controller

Gatewayuser
12-01-2004, 01:02 PM
I just picked up my new trailer it took them about 2 hours to install the brake controller and hard wiring on my truck, I'm glad I did'nt do it. I like the controller works great even in stop and go traffic. Thanks again for all the help!!!

Planet Landscaping
12-02-2004, 05:41 AM
Prodigy for sure. I have both. Just set it and forget it. :cool2: