PDA

View Full Version : I am going to buy a dump truck

chevyman1
11-29-2004, 10:24 AM
For next year as I go full time. I started this weekend and looked at 2 used...what do you think of these? I plan on towing a 16-18ft trailer with 1-2 zero turns, a 50-48" walkbehind, and a 32" and 21"

1. 1997 Chevy 1500, V6, 3-yard aluminum box, 65k miles, $6,995

2. 1986 Chevy 350 V8, 25k miles (original, was a cemetary truck locally), 4WD, 4-way Fisher Plow, 4 yard dump, $6,995

I am still thinking new is the way to go, but do you think either are worth the gamble?

out4now
11-29-2004, 11:35 AM
The second choice seems a little better. Bigger engine and payload capacity, comes with plow and is 4 wheel drive. Only thing though is it's an 86 and must have some rust by now if used for plowing. One other thing would bother me about that one too, insurace will give bluebook if totaled so what's it's blue value? If it's only worth say 1000 and you buy for 7k and it gets wrecked, burns up, stolen whatever it's a loss. I'd try to minimize that gap in value to cost.

grass_cuttin_fool
11-29-2004, 11:37 AM
Well I have a 1992 GMC 1500 4wd with a 4.3 and with a trailer behind it has no get up and go at all when Im pulling a 6x12 with a tiger cub and toro wb.Also I dont think you could haul very much at all on it.
I like truck number 2 better as you would be able to push snow in the winter and the v-8 should have plenty of power for towing.
That is my 2 cents worth.

grshppr
11-29-2004, 11:46 AM
I'd go for the second truck, because on the 1/ 2ton once the weight of the dump box is taken into consideration, you would not be legal to carry much weight in that truck.

pjslawncare/landscap
11-29-2004, 01:01 PM
Id keep looking. Surely you can find a 3/4 ton of 1 ton with 4 wd & deisel used for the price your looking with

2004F550
11-29-2004, 01:49 PM
2nd truck, mucher more truck, and didn't live a very hard life from the sounds of it. The 1500 could be pretty whipped from carrying 3 yard loads IMO

GreenMonster
11-29-2004, 01:57 PM
I'd say #2 is a better truck. Be careful for rust and frozen parts/hardware. Sitting around is the worst thing you can do to equipment.

I looked at at a 1993 1 ton dump plow/sander setup. It was a "yard" truck for a hospital in Boston. Same low hours like #2, but rust all over the place. Remember, the guys that are running it don't own it, so it's likely they didn't particularly care to much about how it was cared for.

tiedeman
11-29-2004, 02:14 PM
why is there only 25,000 miles on the second truck?

grassredneck
11-29-2004, 02:22 PM
Definitely the 2nd truck, a V6 in most trucks used for scaping isn't sufficient,
I have an '01 2500HD with the 6.0 (364 ci) and it isn't enough for a heavy tandem 6x12-I would recommend a diesel if at all possible. Once you've driven a diesel, I think you may agree. Forget using a 1/2 ton with that amount of equipment. Just my .02

PLI1
11-29-2004, 05:04 PM
I would stay away from #1 because of the V6. I don't know how much highway traveling vs. around town driving you would be doing. If you do a lot of highway driving and it does not have overdrive I would not consider it at all. It probably has a high rear end gear ratio and engine will probably turn over 3000 r.p.m. at 55 m.p.h. without overdrive. Translation= god awful fuel economy.

chevyman1
11-29-2004, 05:32 PM
thanks guys, I think I am going to continue to look and not really bother test driving these....I am still going to stick with plan #1, which has been a 2004 Chevy 3500 series brand new leftover at a local dealer...they have 5, and with a dump box run about $38,000...however GM is offering $4,500 in rebates, the dealer can knock off $2,500, I got prequalified for 0.0% financing on a 60 month loan, and I have a $13,000 truck trade in value on my current Silverado

Shady Brook
11-29-2004, 07:43 PM
You are probably better off passing, although the second truck may be ok if it was well taken care of, but it may have lots of hours on it even if only a few miles. I would never consider a half ton for such an opperation, and to put an insert in it...it would be a joke.

Do you already have this equipment, or are you planning for future growth? If you are just going full time, that is alot of stuff to have. My point in asking is make sure your trailer is big enough for all that. I believe you can get a 48 and 32 side by side on an 84 wide, but be sure, cus you will need to put a 21 next to a rider, with another rider behind. It will be super tight, and maybe impossible if you can not spin a rider. That is bunch of tools! If you do not have all these items, think carefully how to set it up. I have alot of gated yards, and some need a 32 because of their size. If you have some bigger yards that need a 32, you better have one. In most cases a 48 walkbehind will not be needed if you have riders, especially a 52. You might get a 48 rider instead of the walkbehind if you feel you need it.

I like my trailer with some room to move, so if you can just get the tools you need, it will save you money, maintence, and space on the trailer.

Good luck

FrankenScagMachines
11-29-2004, 07:59 PM
Well with what you said above, if your accountant gives you the OK, I'd just get the new one. I really don't like buying used vehicles. You don't know how they've been abused or maintained (or lack thereof). The half ton one stay away from, too small in all aspects. The one ton stay away from, it would be a decent truck i'm sure but like said it probably sat and idled alot (won't hurt it) but being as its not an owner/operator deal, it probably was NOT babied! Maintenance, well in 25k miles there isn't alot of maintenance that would have to be done in that amount of time. Just the fact that its 18 years old and has sat a LOT not being driven, makes me want to steer away from that one. Its probably a great truck but if you are looking at it vs. a new one, obviously you are saying you could afford a new one then i would go new, with all those rebates plus your trade in thats only $18k for a brand new unused one ton dump. Thats what i would do if it was me. But then it is easier to spend someone elses money than my own ;)

cantoo
11-29-2004, 09:06 PM
I have a 2 wheel drive 1989 Ford F250 with a dump bed as a back up truck. It only has 89,000 kms on it and the box was never even used on it. It had a plow on it and was used by the supervisor to plow and drive back and forth between two sites. He didn't do much work with it. The floor was rotted pretty bad the brake lines were rotted and they still squeal from sitting so long. It got used for 3 trips last fall with leaves and never even got used at all this year. I just put a trip permit on it if and when I need it. I would never buy a truck like this again, I wish it had 300,000 kms on it like my Chev daily driver diesel at least everything works on it.
Sitting is one of the worst things you can do for a truck.

Eric 1
11-29-2004, 09:20 PM
Well with what you said above, if your accountant gives you the OK, I'd just get the new one. I really don't like buying used vehicles. You don't know how they've been abused or maintained (or lack thereof). The half ton one stay away from, too small in all aspects. The one ton stay away from, it would be a decent truck i'm sure but like said it probably sat and idled alot (won't hurt it) but being as its not an owner/operator deal, it probably was NOT babied! Maintenance, well in 25k miles there isn't alot of maintenance that would have to be done in that amount of time. Just the fact that its 18 years old and has sat a LOT not being driven, makes me want to steer away from that one. Its probably a great truck but if you are looking at it vs. a new one, obviously you are saying you could afford a new one then i would go new, with all those rebates plus your trade in thats only $18k for a brand new unused one ton dump. Thats what i would do if it was me. But then it is easier to spend someone elses money than my own ;)

What he said.

Lux Lawn
11-30-2004, 12:45 PM
If you go with #2 take it somewhere and have it checked out first oil lines tranny lines brake lines all that stuff rusts oil pan make sure you don't have to put a couple grand in it right away if you do offer that much less on the truck.It is almost not worth it to buy brand new anymore in this business to get all beat up in a season.Good luck with your purchase.

richard coffman
11-30-2004, 02:12 PM
i own a 1986 chevy silverado 4x4 with manual transmission. got the truck allmost 5 years ago, has the camper special package, 1 ton suspension, origonally disel, now got a 350 under the hood with 373 gearing. here in the desert, vehicles really don't rust, did some work o it, but' it's been a lot better to me that other trucks that I've owned. I use mine for plowing,and for the mowing season and are pretty easy on it. I'm looking into having as my spare truck and go with a newer f-350 powerstroke. stick with a newer truck...... :D