PDA

View Full Version : Mini Mulch Blower??

SSmith
11-29-2004, 01:03 PM
Do they make a mini mulch blower to accomidate a normal sized residential job? I've seen the big commercial ones out there.....

If they are available...Has anyone used one??

impactlandscaping
11-29-2004, 02:56 PM
Finn makes a smaller , towable version of their express blower you can load from the pickup / dump bed. Check out their website for more info on it. Sorry, I have never used one, but have thought about buying one in the future as well. Matt from Groundcoversolutions could give you more info on the blower rigs.I think they have three or four in production.

SSmith
11-29-2004, 04:54 PM
I just talked to the Finn territory mgr. for SW Ohio (Tom Gilman) and inquired about the BB-200 mini mulch blower. This unit can be mounted to a truck or towed (recommended). It comes with 100 ft of hose and can put out 8+ yards of mulch per hour. The unit goes for $28,000.....they do have financing. I'll be talking to him and seeing one of these machines at the Ohio Turf/Grass convention in Columbus next week.

SSmith
11-30-2004, 09:54 AM
Just wanted to bump this thread up and see if anyone has ever used one of these machines. It looks like a terrific purchase if you plan on doing a lot of mulch jobs. It also looks to be good for small commercial applications.

Groundcover Solutions
11-30-2004, 12:42 PM
I have never used one that small but it seems to me it would be a pain. You would need a skidsteer I would assume to keep it loaded. You could increase productivity but with a unit that small you are still going to need 3 guys working it pluse your loader and other equpment. The main sell of our jobs are larger commercial jobs, they don't want to see a mulch pile on there property and since we order mulch in such large quantities we can get mulch a a much lower price. Mulch blowing can be quite profitable in the commercial market. As for residential I am not too sure, we do some lager residential jobs. If you could get a row of homes i would think it could be profitable. Also a hundred feet of house is not a tone of house, our turcks hold around 400 ft. The smaller market is a whole different market so I do not know much about it. It wouuld take some digging to see if the market can sustaine a piece of equipment like this.

jawinchester
12-06-2004, 07:12 PM
We currently run a 20yd blower and find that it handles residential jobs nicely because of its size. It is a unit that is on an International 4900 truck. We have had it for a year and are in need for something larger. I don't know the capacity of the mini blower you are talking about. But I definately would not go for anything smaller. 20yder typically go for under 100,000 and are a great starter size. No large commitment and us being a new start up business in that industry definately made it a comfortable move for us.

VampireCat019
02-27-2015, 01:01 AM
$100k isn't a large commitment?? Hah!

ReddensLawnCare
02-27-2015, 06:34 AM
We currently run a 20yd blower and find that it handles residential jobs nicely because of its size. It is a unit that is on an International 4900 truck. We have had it for a year and are in need for something larger. I don't know the capacity of the mini blower you are talking about. But I definately would not go for anything smaller. 20yder typically go for under 100,000 and are a great starter size. No large commitment and us being a new start up business in that industry definately made it a comfortable move for us.

Are you trying to make yourself feel good? 100k is a large investment for almost any company, much less a startup landscape company
Posted via Mobile Device

CD_CLC
02-27-2015, 06:45 AM
Jawinchester, how far north of Lake Stevens do you go?
Posted via Mobile Device

2 Cycle
02-27-2015, 07:31 AM
10 year old thread bump

Aura Lawns
03-11-2015, 12:52 PM
I'm also interested in seeing if there is any machine like this out there...

Aura Lawns
04-04-2015, 08:27 AM
Reviving this thread...

Aura Lawns
04-05-2015, 02:57 PM
No one has any input?!

RedSox4Life
04-05-2015, 03:10 PM
I've been rolling something similiar around in my head lately. I'm trying to find an easier way to do mulch than wheelbarrels. But we only do a couple hundred yards a year so Im not looking to spend 30k.

I have a skid steer.....and it helps...but is really too big for most of the properties.

I like the idea of a mini skid...but again don't like the 20k+ price tag

So lately I've been looking at powered wheelbarrels. They're still pricey....but not as bad as a mini skid....but a lot less versatile.

What does everyone else do when they outgrow wheelbarrels, but aren't ready for a blower?

MyLawnCareLLC
04-07-2015, 09:16 AM
I've been rolling something similiar around in my head lately. I'm trying to find an easier way to do mulch than wheelbarrels. But we only do a couple hundred yards a year so Im not looking to spend 30k.

I have a skid steer.....and it helps...but is really too big for most of the properties.

I like the idea of a mini skid...but again don't like the 20k+ price tag

So lately I've been looking at powered wheelbarrels. They're still pricey....but not as bad as a mini skid....but a lot less versatile.

What does everyone else do when they outgrow wheelbarrels, but aren't ready for a blower?

Have you ever considered a compact tractor with front end loader? Similar in price to the mini skid but u can use a large number of attachments. Lighter and more manuverable then a skid and won't tear up yards like the tracks. U have the loader bucket to haul mulch/stone/topsoil etc. and u can get a backhoe for the back end to dig shrubs out/holes n so on.

I am at the point i cannot use a wheel barrel for everything but nowhere near the ability to justify a mulch blower. But since I purchased a compact tractor it has greatly increased efficiency and opened other revenue streams for me.
Posted via Mobile Device

RedSox4Life
04-08-2015, 06:30 PM
Have you ever considered a compact tractor with front end loader? Similar in price to the mini skid but u can use a large number of attachments. Lighter and more manuverable then a skid and won't tear up yards like the tracks. U have the loader bucket to haul mulch/stone/topsoil etc. and u can get a backhoe for the back end to dig shrubs out/holes n so on.

I am at the point i cannot use a wheel barrel for everything but nowhere near the ability to justify a mulch blower. But since I purchased a compact tractor it has greatly increased efficiency and opened other revenue streams for me.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have considered a small tractor. My problem is it seems a CUT is too big (in dimension) for what I would need, but a SCUT is just too small....a glorified garden tractor really. Neither is ideal....and I keep holding out hope that If I'm going to spend 10-20k there's gotta be something that'll fit my needs perfectly.

Mdirrigation
05-06-2015, 09:31 PM
I have considered a small tractor. My problem is it seems a CUT is too big (in dimension) for what I would need, but a SCUT is just too small....a glorified garden tractor really. Neither is ideal....and I keep holding out hope that If I'm going to spend 10-20k there's gotta be something that'll fit my needs perfectly.

I thought the same thing about the SCUT , a neighbor bought a bx24 and I laughed at it , looked like a toy backhoe /loader. He was moving and I bought it cheap . Boy was I wrong , it isnt a glorified lawn tractor by any means . From bush hogging bamboo and a rough cutting 6 acre field twice a year , rototilling for lawn rehabs , aerating , snow , it has made $$$ and never said no.

RedSox4Life
05-07-2015, 06:29 AM
I thought the same thing about the SCUT , a neighbor bought a bx24 and I laughed at it , looked like a toy backhoe /loader. He was moving and I bought it cheap . Boy was I wrong , it isnt a glorified lawn tractor by any means . From bush hogging bamboo and a rough cutting 6 acre field twice a year , rototilling for lawn rehabs , aerating , snow , it has made $$$ and never said no.

I actually ended up demoing a bx a couple weeks ago to help on a big mulch job. I will eat my words a little bit.

It wasn't exactly a game changer......but it did help a lot. I think with a bigger bucket and r4 tires I would've liked it more. I'm considering buying one now.

Mdirrigation
05-07-2015, 08:27 PM
I actually ended up demoing a bx a couple weeks ago to help on a big mulch job. I will eat my words a little bit.

It wasn't exactly a game changer......but it did help a lot. I think with a bigger bucket and r4 tires I would've liked it more. I'm considering buying one now.

I have the r 4 tires , I have the underbelly protector and the piranah tooth bar made by bx expanded ( both are must haves), hooks welded to the front bucket .The 3 point aerator is a money maker , Made an adaptor for an electric seed spreader to run on the front bucket . I have no regrets whatsoever on buying it .