PDA

View Full Version : Progressive 501 Wire Locator??

aquamtic
11-30-2004, 12:14 AM
Wondering how many people have found this model useful for locating high volt wireing and dead wires. I already have the 521 for locating valves

Is the 501 a worth while tool for out trade???

jerryrwm
12-01-2004, 10:38 AM
Not sure what the benefit would be unless you are looking for high voltage lines for some reason. Any owner installed 120v lines I can find just fine with the Ditch Witch. The main electrical lines are usually over 18" deep and they have been located by the utility company before we start digging. That's law in Texas - you have to call for utility locates 48 hrs in advance of any digging.

And as far as dead wires, you could use the 521 for that.

aquamtic
12-01-2004, 11:37 AM
High VOltage is exactly what I want to find at times. I am looking for homeowner installed lines at times that run to a lamp post or a garage or fountain, pool. Dig Safe will only find recorded untilities here in our area-

Homeowners will of course not know how the lines run and many times say its atleast 18" deep just for the DW to cut it around 6-8 deep.

I had one customer call me up 2 months later to tell me we cut his line that ran to a shed way out back. We know longer could find our cut lines and searched for 3 hrs for the line route then the break.

Planter
12-01-2004, 01:35 PM
I have one and it works very well. I use it with a pulser to find breaks. I use the 501 to locate the path and the pulser to locate any nicks or breaks. Works great on gas lines and owner installed electric.

Mdirrigation
12-01-2004, 10:24 PM
You may want to add a clause to your contract stating that any buried lines , pipes etc are the homeowners responsiblity to locate and arent your responsibility . I have cut thru lots of things over the years and never had to fix. Unless I get paid

aquamtic
12-01-2004, 11:02 PM
MD _ I do have such a clause but this is where I will offer the option as an extra charge to locate the wire. Many people have no clue where the wire is that runs to the pool that was there when they bought the house.

I did have one customer almost back out of a 4,000.00 install because he thought we were going to make some damages to electric wiring. The property was doable enough that we told he we would run our lines around as much as possible and that electric wire should be atleast 18" deep anyway.

We took a chance and kept an eye to see if power was cut so we can mark and repair.

I feel more comfortable having the tools and options - This will make us just look more professional ( at a cost of course)

Mdirrigation
12-02-2004, 06:11 PM
Be careful charging to locate their wires , if you are wrong it can be expensive . I have walked away from jobs like that many times . Remember if you break a like after you located it it is your responsibility to pay for the repair , not have the repair done . Similar to a car accident you hit someones car you dont fix it you just foot the bill

DGI
12-02-2004, 10:14 PM
I too have a clause that excludes anything not marked by MISSDIG but will generally assume small risks and fix them if I screw up. That's not to say I will take on the burden for things I had no clue about. If they tell me that it's there, I'm pretty much going to assume the liability on it if I get the job.

Subsite 75R can find pretty much anything if you are looking. Costs more but is extremely versatile.

We're looking into getting a progressive PE2003. Anyone have any experience with those?

aquamtic, if you know which wires you are looking for, why not just cut off the power and use your 521 to trace?

ed2hess
12-06-2004, 08:06 PM
I have one and it works very well. I use it with a pulser to find breaks. I use the 501 to locate the path and the pulser to locate any nicks or breaks. Works great on gas lines and owner installed electric.
I have used the 521 to locate valves and to find the general path of irrigation wiring. This summer I tried to find a break that I had in the ground loop with the 521. I couldn't find the break with the locator. I used an ole Indian trick of running a new gnd wire between valve boxes until it worked. Once it worked then I knew it was between the last valve boxes and then I DUG! And advise on how to hook or use the locator for breaks?

jerryrwm
12-07-2004, 01:00 AM
I have used the 521 to locate valves and to find the general path of irrigation wiring. This summer I tried to find a break that I had in the ground loop with the 521. I couldn't find the break with the locator. I used an ole Indian trick of running a new gnd wire between valve boxes until it worked. Once it worked then I knew it was between the last valve boxes and then I DUG! And advise on how to hook or use the locator for breaks?

The 521 will find the actual wire path and it will find breaks in the wires if they are complete breaks. If you have a "common" loop (it is not the ground wire - that is a different animal altogether) you will need to disconnect one end otherwise the 521 will feed from the other end. Not sure why there is a loop in the common wire tho'.

Once you have the wire path located and ,arked, you can find the break, nick, or damaged wire with the 2003 Pulsar. It will put you right on the problem.

Jerry

YardPro
12-08-2004, 11:52 PM
we use our 521 to find high viltage all the time.

turn off the breaker. hook to the ground (in the high voltage romex).
and track away.

we also use it for tracing pvc pipe.

open tow ends of a pipe, use a shop vac to suck some string hrough the pipe, pull a thin wire back thrugh and tace it.

ed2hess
12-09-2004, 08:05 PM
The 521 will find the actual wire path and it will find breaks in the wires if they are complete breaks. If you have a "common" loop (it is not the ground wire - that is a different animal altogether) you will need to disconnect one end otherwise the 521 will feed from the other end. Not sure why there is a loop in the common wire tho'.

Once you have the wire path located and ,arked, you can find the break, nick, or damaged wire with the 2003 Pulsar. It will put you right on the problem.

Jerry
As a rule I don't install systems but ALL our Lawn service commericial accounts have water and the ground wire in a loop around the property. Seems to be a very common practice. What is the approx. cost of Pulsar?

Planter
12-10-2004, 01:23 AM
Seems to be a very common practice. What is the approx. cost of Pulsar?

A Progressive pulser (2003) is about 1,000 new. There is almost always one on Ebay with a start price of ~$450.00. Not sure if it is new or used. I think he has a truck load of them and keeps the offer going.

I bought mine used for $125 and replaced the gel-cell battery for $25. Had to redo the mount inside, but that only took a few minutes. Works like a top and when you need it nothing else will come close. It will find nicks in wire, not just breaks. The kicker is you need something like a 521 or 501 to trace the line before you can use the pulser.

Planter