PDA

View Full Version : My New Web Presence

CrewCutEnterprises
11-29-2004, 11:40 PM
Just basic. Made it tonight...

None of my customers know about it.

Do u guys like the colors.? the basic set up?

Thanks

www.crewcutenterprises.com

also i made it on the laptop so check the resolution. and let me know how it looks

BobwithECLC
11-29-2004, 11:46 PM
Very nice looking web site. Is there a way for you to make your pictures brighter. Everything just seems a little dark. But beyand that it is a great site. Very informative!

out4now
11-29-2004, 11:54 PM
Man, guy in picture needs to smile. :p You know like all the people you see in the ads for lawn mowers and stuff 112 degrees outside but they are just smiling away and not sweating. No seriously the site looks good. Could be a little brighter in color scheme, more greens and just put professional trucks and equipment over the pictures of the truck. Looks good though.

kickin sum grass
11-29-2004, 11:57 PM
Looks good. Although, and only my opinion, under the fertilzer section there is way to much technical information about fertilizer. Your customers won't understand poly coated or novex fertilizers. Also what if you find a better deal than a lesco brand and your customers sees you appling it. They might be mad because they were led to believe it would all be lesco.
Take it with a grain of salt, not trying to be judgemental. I did like the over all design. Make the pics so they will enlarge and get so job pics.

tonygreek
11-30-2004, 02:25 PM
first off, please tell me that the "quality employees" picture is a joke placeholder. that would be the one of you and the girl "dancing" at a party.

echoing the fertilizer page sentiment, you might want to dumb that down for the masses. besides, you might get zapped by lesco for posting their copyrighted content if you don't have the permission. the "quality employees" pic, coupled with lesco content, probably creates an image that lesco doesn't want.

the aeration page content: you might want to know who's content that is with regards to permission to use. i've found 50+ sites that use the exact same thing, so i guess you can use it just as easily as they do. why not put your own voice to it?

and yep, the page is too dark. it's an outdoors-based company. lose the grey and brighten it up with something, including the apparently dusk-taken pictures. re-shoot some of those, including the equipment, in bright daylight.

your company name lends itself to a great logo, so why not pursue it? it would definitely help the look of the site and you could alter your color selections to compliment that and brighten it up.

get your contact info on every page, especially page one. no need to every send someone off to another page just to see a line or two of text.

lose the links from the menu that don't go anywhere, and also kill the repetition of the truck pics, of which there are 3 on the home page, all telling us the same thing.

what's with the 2 different contact pages? one is like the rest of your site, the other is a not-so-cohesive form page done with the ill-advised combo of yellow background with red and blue text.

and finally, the non-smiling pic... :) if you are going to position yourself as "ceo", you might want to do a better job of portraying it with the pic. throw on some khaki's, a nice pair of shoes and a nice shirt, and smile. that says "ceo". the current pic shows "i'm not happy to be here today". either that, or lose the ceo phrase. owner-operator is probably more appropriate.

let me know if you need any clarifications.

tony

kootoomootoo
11-30-2004, 06:35 PM
Equipment pics might make you feel good inside and give you bragging rights but the only thing customers want to see is pics of previous work. Dont see the need like some to list every piece of equipment they have...so what.

mdvaden
11-30-2004, 09:51 PM
I think other replied had some good ideas to thiink about.

My first impression was that I wanted a bigger picture. The colors could change, but I think I'd find them reasonable if the photo was larger.

Also, I'm guessing that you may be in a spot like I was. When I started my website, I hardly had any photos. I replaced with better ones as they became available. Maybe you can get a brighter daylight shot later, but we know you can't add what you don't have either.

I agree on the equipment thing. It reminds me of the signatures in these forums where users post their equipment under their name. It's not a real need unless the equipment is unusual.

Or, drop the names - like the truck name, but show the vehicles in use, in action doing the work you do.

EDITS TO MY POST - With reading again, I agree the background is dark - black on dark grey; not too easy to read.

On the leaf removal page, you have a nice bright photo; maybe use it on the home page. No harm in repeating photos either.

On the stump grind page, had you thought of listing what else you can do, such as "chasing" tree roots for people that need to rebuild a lawn. And with that kind of equipment, you may want to tell about how small of a gap you can squeeze your machine into.

CrewCutEnterprises
11-30-2004, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the thoughts..

I agree on the pics. they are just place holders for space.
My idea is to have job site pics on the right side column, and the hotlinks on the left site.

As for the 2 comment pages. whoops.. that link is only on 1 page so goood job finding it. Also. Will post better pics.. not dark..

as for colors of web site?? we wear charcoal pants with hunter green shirts.

so what color for the web site??

I agree with the owner/operator idea o and im uploading the page shortly. so check the colors and give your imput

mdvaden
11-30-2004, 09:57 PM
How about a lighter grey?

Or, how about placing the text in a white text box on the grey background?

CrewCutEnterprises
12-01-2004, 12:15 AM
ok did a revamp of the idea...

just main page and stump grinding page are in works, i say a page a day will get it done.

i need too take more pics

mdvaden
12-01-2004, 01:46 AM
Main part is much easier to read.

I'm not sure how my web guy does it (I can guess) but I suppose there is a way to install several versions that consumers can't get to that you could list links for here for ideas.

All I know is that my web masters have put up test pages for me to see before so we could mess around out of the consumers eye.

The only page I access on my own website is my articles page. And as simple as it is, it's fun to tinker with.

CrewCutEnterprises
12-01-2004, 09:25 AM
I thought your page looked almost tooo goood.

Yes web development is very hard. not the programming part but the layout and colors. I majored in it in college. And yes you can select different resolution versions.

Look good?? I will start to go on.

Also. no one knows the address unless they stumble upon it. its only uploaded to get your opinion and my family /employees

tonygreek
12-01-2004, 10:01 AM
significant improvement over the previous. but... :)
i'd lose the bright green text off of the darker green background, as well as your bright green email address on the white background. older customers will never see it, and even we younger one's have a tough time. maybe try a creme color or some such and see how it looks. and anything dark for your fonts on white backgrounds.

to really give your pictures a boost, try adding a drop shadow (from your graphics program) around the right and bottom sides of the image. nothing big, just a subtle 2-4 pixel off-set to bring them out a bit.

and if you really want to give yourself something to design around, have a professionally designed logo. for a low-cost, high-quality piece done, head over to designoutpost.com they'll probably love to incorporate the CrewCut name into a logo.

keep us posted...

CrewCutEnterprises
12-04-2004, 12:08 AM
OK Guys UPDATED..

Let me know..

The stump grinding page is how i like the layout but im worred about people running a low resolution on their monitors.

please comment

T Edwards
12-04-2004, 07:09 AM
When I click on the "gravel driveways" link why is there a pic of 2 guys standing in dirt?

tonygreek
12-04-2004, 02:54 PM
lose the "site under construction" stuff. bad form.

could you further explain the stump grinding page as it relates to the concern you have for low-res monitors? do you mean the table width you have? if you take the main table down to 750 or so, your 800x600 resolution visitors will see the entire width without sideways scrolling. to see how it will look at various resolutions, search yahoo for a freeware software called BrowserSizer. it'll allow you to resize your browser to a specific resolution. take a look at a site i have under development and you'll see what i mean about the table width as it relates to the 800x600 resolition - caexteriors.com

tony

amw
12-06-2004, 03:30 PM
Equipment pics might make you feel good inside and give you bragging rights but the only thing customers want to see is pics of previous work. Dont see the need like some to list every piece of equipment they have...so what.

i don't agree that they don't care, we have gotten call & jobs based on the equipment we use (brand, condition, ect..), but i would agree that MOST people would not care but some do, so why not have them on their?

just my $0.02

CrewCutEnterprises
12-07-2004, 11:33 PM
thanks tonygeek, im going to do some of the things you said to try.

It'll be a couple of days.. and i designed it on my laptop and not in 600 res.. so gotaa fix that..

thanks

CrewCutEnterprises
12-15-2004, 10:42 PM
Ok. just did a revise of it.

let me know on colors buttons resolution.

I know the res needs to be adjusted to better fit 600 and 800 resolutions.

Thanks!!

tonygreek
12-15-2004, 11:00 PM
crew, i'd move your hours and add the all-important contact info to the top of your homepage.

i'd also try to work with your photo layout on the homepage as they look kind of crammed in amongst the text content.

looks like it's coming along nicely.

CrewCutEnterprises
12-15-2004, 11:24 PM
thanks. I agreee with alll of what you said.

How do u buttons look?? the comments page.

And on the home page, there will be less text, 2 pics and office hours since i made a page with the company background there is no need to have it on the mail page.

Thanks alot

Groundcover Solutions
12-17-2004, 12:02 AM
I'm not sure how my web guy does it (I can guess) but I suppose there is a way to install several versions that consumers can't get to that you could list links for here for ideas.

As for this it is really quite easy... all you need to do is make a page that is not linked in your site. This is done by creating a blank page or a page with design that you want to chane a little. Then all you need to do is change the title of the page to something IE: Test. So in your link window you would normaly see for example your home page would read www.yourname.com/index this would link to your home page and lets say your service page is www.yourname.com/services all of these have links within your page. So if you set up a www.yourname.com/test that is not linked with in your normal page then the only way to access it is through directly typing in the name in your address bar. This way the normal public can't get to it unless they type in randome things and find it.

Groundcover Solutions
12-17-2004, 12:03 AM
The links should not go any place they are just for example purposes only!

CrewCutEnterprises
12-19-2004, 04:48 PM
Yea thanks.

I know i have one.
www.crewcutenterprises.com/mx

for my motocross pics.

I just hadnot gotten around to it.
but thanks for the info. and i love that truck!!!

CrewCutEnterprises
02-28-2005, 10:49 PM
made some revisions. Hope to have it all streamlined in the next month.

Does anyone like the basic color scheme??

Thanks

Groundcover Solutions
03-01-2005, 10:10 PM
Your welcome and thanks for the complaments on the truck!