PDA

View Full Version : Services

John P.
11-30-2004, 07:59 PM
For the first year and starting with just the basic equipment what services should i offer?

Tulsa Lawn Guy
11-30-2004, 08:38 PM
My opinion...

Keep it simple to start. Mow, weed-eat, edge, blow and go! :)

John P.
12-01-2004, 10:36 AM
What about mulch and some small landscaping????? Do you think that's to much for the first year person?

pgiambat
12-02-2004, 02:00 PM
Tulsa has it right. Mow-Trim-Blow and go. "Stick and Move" was what I kept telling myself for the first few years. If my mower, trimmer or blower is running I am making $$. I KNOW this to be true. This may sound weird... but you need to just keep yanking the $$-making lever until you learn what you are capable of doing but more so... what you are willing to do for what price.

Example: You get all your calls, bids, estimates, quotes and schedule done. It's April and you are cutting now. If you want to do some light landscaping, keep a day open like Saturday. Saturday is for landscaping only. That way you can tell a customer YES!, I'll do it and I'll be here Saturday. Or something like that.

I like to have a schedule and keep the schedule, no surprises. You can always rearrange your cutting schedule and free up a day or half day and do L-scaping on two days.

Light landscaping isn't too bad, you don't need much more than a good wheelbarrow, shovel and rake. Watch your outlay of $$/Time for equip and running to get the bulk mulch and other materials. Take the neighbor kid along to fill and dump the wheelbarrow and slip him $10-20, he'll be pumped! You can make some good cash doing that sort of stuff, watch your time.

Just my 2-cents.

Expert Lawns
12-02-2004, 04:10 PM
I started doing mow, trim and blows. If a customer asked me if I did landscaping, I told them I do light landscaping; as in mulch installation, plating shrubs, flowers, plants etc. I do not have access to a bobcat and I don't do design. I never advertised landscaping until last year and it brought in a few overseed jobs and countless mulch installations. Landscaping is where the money is, but as a beginner, I'd stick to the basics till you get your feet wet

tiedeman
12-02-2004, 06:57 PM
I have to agree with what Expert says.

Mo Green
12-07-2004, 09:22 PM
Just offer the basics for now, and deversify as your business grows.