PDA

View Full Version : Side business advice, please

nater1979
11-30-2004, 10:44 PM
Quick Background
This past spring and summer I was a groundskeeper at a well manicured and prestigious piece of property in my hometown. Currently I am laid off but, I enjoyed that type of work so much that I have decided to go to school to get a degree in landscape maintenance. I am doing great in school and I am really learning as much as I can about all aspects of this industry.

I have been thinking of starting a side business this spring or possibly next spring that would be a one man show with the following services aimed at an upscale market...
Shrub and small tree Pruning (textbook)
bed edging
mulching
plantings
and possibly fertilization and pest control (I will have my license by Feb)

Nothing large but detail oriented and professionally done.

I don't want to mow because I really don't enjoy that as much and because it would take a lot more money (that I don't have) to get started. Also I see mowing services as a dime a dozen in my area and maybe this could be a good niche market that I could service. Help me out. Is this a waste of time because no one will just want these services without mowing? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
:drinkup:

tiedeman
12-01-2004, 12:40 AM
the only way that you know for sure it will work is by just trying to market it and see what happens. It could take right off, but then again it could fall flat. There are a lot of mowing guys that don't like providing services like that, so you could maybe get into a get niche.

Team Gopher
12-01-2004, 04:28 PM
Hi nater1979,

It sounds like a good idea. I am sure you can succeed if you promote it. Both to homeowners and other LCO's.

nater1979
12-02-2004, 12:52 AM
I thought that getting in touch with some mow and blow guys with some decent accounts could be a smart way to go. I have seen some pretty shoddy work in my area passed off as pruning. For example my friend's condo has some very nice Viburnum lantana and Viburnum x carlesii with all of their flower buds hacked off. It seems pretty stupid for a company to spend thousands to install the landscape and then get nothing but twigs and leaves in return.

Mo Green
12-02-2004, 10:57 AM
That's what I would do. Contact some of the local mow and blow companies that you feel provide good service. Network with them. If you are professional in your attitude, appearance, and work(I'm sure you are), they would probably be glad to refer you to their clients. Since you don't mow, you wont be a threat to take their customer. At the same time, you could refer your customer that need a mow and blow to them.