PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used growth inhibitors to control lawn growth?

Let it Grow
11-30-2004, 10:25 PM
Just wondering if any of you have tried growth inhibitors to control how fast, and how tall lawns will grow? I've been doing some research on the internet, and it seems like this kind of product could revolutionize the lawn care industry. Any info would be VERY helpful.

tiedeman
11-30-2004, 10:27 PM
nope, but I have been thinking it about because one of my customers pre-paid for the next 3 years, and I was thinking about using them. Save me some money and time

oldturf
11-30-2004, 11:45 PM
Hope it never catches on myself.

FdLLawnMan
11-30-2004, 11:51 PM
I called LESCO last year to inquire about the price. It is really high priced & doesn't really stop the grass from growing slower. The grass will get thicker in its first couple of inches so if you bag it you will have about half as many clippings but they told me you will have to cut it almost as often because of the height of the grass. At least that is what I was told. That's my 2 cents.

Mike Immel
Mike's Total Lawn Care

Neal Wolbert
12-01-2004, 02:28 AM
Primo is the product of choice in the Northwest. Golf courses use it often on fairway, tee and green to tame clipping yield, conserve fertilizer and water. No reason why you can't do the same, assuming you are licensed and you turf species are suitable. Neal

Neal Wolbert
12-01-2004, 02:31 AM
(from post above) Primo is the product of choice in the Northwest. Golf courses use it often on fairway, tee and green to tame clipping yield, conserve fertilizer and water. No reason why you can't do the same, assuming you are licensed and you turf species are suitable. Neal

YardPro
12-01-2004, 06:41 AM
we use primo a lot on bermuda.

we use it on sidewalk edges, and hillsides ( 21" areas) and all bed edges and trimming areas.

it cuts the growth in 1/2 and makes the turf look better.

vegomatic40
12-02-2004, 06:42 PM
Currently putting together a growth regulator program for next spring when the fescue is going psycho. Probably has more appeal for contract cutters and select home-owners that need a break or, are looking for the cutting edge stuff. Applied it to mine and a few others and the results with Primo-Maxx were impressive. Dramatically reduced the total cuts and overall turf health was very good. Also shows some promise to help reduce Brown patch disease pressure since top growth is limited. Color is very good due to more compact leaf cells and more extensive root developement. Cost is a problem for sure but when you put it on paper for a customer (especially those going on a long vacation) it becomes much more attractive. I'm not sure when any of the current regulators go "off patent" but that would certainly bring the price down and help keep margins intact.

SodKing
12-02-2004, 06:58 PM
We used it on one of our larger estates this spring. The property is about 2 acres, all manicured. The lawn was growing approximately 5" per week. The crew, though it is billed by the minute, was curbside too long. Also, they would fill the truck with the clippings. I treated with Primo during the heavy growth time, late May, and was pleased with the results.

turf hokie
12-02-2004, 07:42 PM
I have not used it. I figured that the cost was equal to the labor saved. However.

My theory was that

reduce clippings = reduced dump fees

Less clippings = less time on the property
Less time on property = more properties your able to service
More properties = more money

All theory, I could be off, but it looks good.

kickin sum grass
12-02-2004, 08:06 PM
Been using primo maxx for about 4 years. Any lawn that I mow that gets treated HAS to be sprayed in the spring. If I am fert and mowing the customer I will apply it at no charge. If I don't fert they pay for it or find someone else.

It is a life saver. The amount of time you save is unreal. I did a test on a property last April 20th. I sprayed the front and 1/2 of the back lawn and left the other 1/2 back un treated. 1 week after treatment I cut entire lawn at 3.5". The following week I measured the turf. The treated part measured 4.25" all over. The untreated part measured anywhere from 7.25 to 8". Thats a hel of a difference. You can cut as fast as you can go, single cut during the fastest growing period of the turf. The cost is minimal compared to the time and wear saved.

If you can do it, just do it. Start out with just a few lawns and see how you like it. I bet all your lawns will get it before its over.

gogetter
12-02-2004, 09:55 PM
It's definitely one of the reasons I want to get my applicators license. I want to be able to spray all the areas that we string trim and edge, to reduce that time spent on that.
I could see it really cutting down on time, including less blowing to do.

Looking forward to trying it!.

Garden Panzer
12-03-2004, 02:26 PM
If you are applying to commercial sites, look into PROXY. It's a fraction of Primo's cost and offers results 14 days after ap. - you see an 87% reduction in clippings that 2nd week, control lasts about 6 weeks, it also mixes with liquid iron and other micros...
:)

tiedeman
12-03-2004, 02:41 PM
where do you guys get this product at? Any website information that I could read up would be great. Thanks

Garden Panzer
12-03-2004, 03:07 PM
Look at United Horticultural Supply on google.com

YardPro
12-03-2004, 06:41 PM
I have not used it. I figured that the cost was equal to the labor saved. However.

My theory was that

reduce clippings = reduced dump fees

Less clippings = less time on the property
Less time on property = more properties your able to service
More properties = more money

All theory, I could be off, but it looks good.

the chemical will run about $160.00/ acre your cost.

it will cut the growth rate in 1/2 for about 8 weeks.

with us and the bermuda, we are mowing twice per week.
it cuts the service to once per week in the areas we use it.

the other thing that it does is to promore root growth.
the primo does not stop the plant from growing, it merely changes what grows. the root growth is greatly increased.

the only downside is that the blades are slower to recover from injury.

we found out the hard way that we cannot spray treated areas with msma or basagran, or image (heavly). as these chemicals cuase a small amount of damage to the bermuda.

the damage was greatly amplified on the treated areas.
we had yellowing ( none in the untreated areas) that lasted a few weeks.

greenerpastures
12-03-2004, 08:40 PM
therein lies a problem with pgr's. Slowed growth=slow damage recovery. I will not treat athletic fields with it due to its slow damage recovery effect. It is a great tool for hash marking though.

tiedeman
12-03-2004, 09:32 PM
Look at United Horticultural Supply on google.com

thanks

I have been looking at using some for some time now, yet I am scared of the side effects assoicated with it

out4now
12-03-2004, 09:41 PM
Might want to check into Embark as well.

Garden Panzer
12-03-2004, 10:46 PM
embark is for fences....
PGR's work great on ornamental turf!