PDA

View Full Version : Clippings

John P.
11-30-2004, 11:56 PM
How much extra do you guys usually charge to collect the clippings in a bagger??

tiedeman
12-01-2004, 12:37 AM
I usually charge around 1/3 of the regular mowing price. BUt you also need to take in consideration the convienence, amount of clippings, and thickness of grass when bagging a lawn. That can make a small bagging charge, jump up big time.

Allen's LS
12-01-2004, 01:04 AM
I alway incorporate it into the overall price of the job.

tiedeman
12-01-2004, 01:48 AM
I should have stated it better I guess, 1/3 of mowing price added with the regular mowing price

John P.
12-01-2004, 10:34 AM
How many costumers have you go ahead with bagging the clippings? Do they understand why it can be expensive?

tiedeman
12-01-2004, 10:45 AM
It says right in my contract ,"The bagging of glass clippings as need decided by Tiedeman, LLC. will be of an additional charge based on the thickness, and size of the property."

I basically left an open door so they can't scr*w me.

HOOLIE
12-01-2004, 11:25 AM
Next year I will start charging extra for "excessive" bagging. In the past I've bagged a lot in the spring (mostly under 8k lawns) because its often faster and neater than double cutting. Plus I can leave the bags at the curb for the trash people, so no going to the landfill. But I have a few lawns that are a nightmare in the spring, then they settle down quickly around the end of May. Those folks will have to pay extra.

pgiambat
12-01-2004, 01:21 PM
I only have residentials (20 - 25 per week). I'm all about customer service and keeping the customer happy. My retention from year to year is outstanding. I only get fired by the crazy ones. Sorry for the build up but it justifies what I do.

What I do is charge PER-BAG of lawn clippings I collect. Cover your bag cost and time for collecting. I work for about a dollar a minute from start to finish.

Try $1.50 to $2.50 per bag. This may be a pain if you want to bill the same amount each month or week or the customer pays cash. They'll learn to have a few extra one's when they pay you but it does work.

Have the customer agree to this BEFORE the season. That way when you leave the bags for curb pick up the customer knows you collected 3 or 2 or 5 bags. I use a Lesco bagger (good capacity) on my SCAG and dump the clippings in a pile on concrete then scoop them in a yard waste bag when done, after trimming and before cleanup.

When I get to a cut that I'm going to collect I take out the bags, the dustpan and a broom and put them where I'll be piling the clippings while my mower warms up for a minute. I use the dustpan help scoop the clippings more quickly.

I will take home a bag or two here and there for the little old lady who can't lift them. The yard waste pick up here is unlimited when properly bagged.