PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use a Tundra for towing a trailer?

SouthernYankee
12-01-2004, 12:00 AM
Does anyone use a tundra for towing and landscaping? I have a 1 ton dump, but I need a good truck to mow in that is better on gas. Any advice opinons are welcome. SY

UNISCAPER
12-01-2004, 12:05 AM
What are you pulling, and how much weight is it? A Tundra is still a pretty small truck. I would not be worried as much about power to pull and power to stop and stability to handle turns.

SouthernYankee
12-01-2004, 09:06 AM
a 12' enclosed trailer with one ztr and other small equipment. Wouldnt a tundra be enough for that?

UNISCAPER
12-01-2004, 09:50 AM
So essentially, you have a trailer that weighs 4,000 lbs when loaded down, right? One of the most decieving things manufacturers boast is towing capacities. They brag about what something is rated to pull, and make no mention of how it is going to stop. So, can the brakes of a Tundra stop the truck plus 4,000 lbs? I'm betting not. I would research it pretty well, and I would not do it by asking anyone at a dealer. I have yet to see a Tundra pulling anything bearing any load out here, and for that matter, I don't see too many Titans pull much. My nieghbor just dumped his because it could not get his tuna boat up the Point Loma launch ramp without a tow.

I realize what you are trying to achieve, and I think it could be best done by running an 8600-9300 gvw 2wd pick up (3/4 ton). If you are considering Tundra, your price is dancing around the 30K mark, right? You can get some nice 3/4 tons that will pull 14-16 mpg for that. If you really want to save fuel, my Chevy 3500 with duramax/allison averages 15 mpg. Once I got just atad over 18 on the road, but most applications it gets what I said.

That brings another point to mind. Many people think that if they run a small truck, they will be saving fuel. The savings is not significant over other trucks. Sure, take a 3500 dually, and compare it to a little jap truck, sure you will see a difference. But, when you hook that small truck up to a load, and your foot has to be half way further down into the wood all day, you will be amazed to see how even the fuel consumtion really is. You can measure this off engines size, and volume of fuel needed to run at the place the throttle is at. If you have a 250 cubic inch engine and all day your foot is into the wood, you use all that volume. If you take that same truck and have a 350, and your foot runs most of the time at half throtle, you can actually use less fuel and work the engine less.

With no load, sure the smaller truck will get better milage, connect a trailer for one tank of fuel and you will not see any significant difference.

dishboy
12-01-2004, 02:43 PM
I would think even the new six with a six speed and the 4.10 rear end would do that no problem. Their new six has great numbers. A bone stock Tundra six /manual msrp's at 17500 with air.

Another option new 04 F150 heritage v-6 five speed with air $11.999. Bought this one last week, I was also looking at the Tundra but I could not pass on the price of the Ford.

SouthernYankee
12-01-2004, 06:26 PM
my girlfriends dad is a dealer so whatever I get will be used and at true wholesale price. I am looking at something that is a year old or less. how does your 150 do? I am only going to be pulling a 12' enclosed trailer with one ztr and some small equipment, I have a 1 ton dump for hauling material or my bobcat. I am just looking for a mowing set up.

dishboy
12-01-2004, 10:07 PM
my girlfriends dad is a dealer so whatever I get will be used and at true wholesale price. I am looking at something that is a year old or less. how does your 150 do? I am only going to be pulling a 12' enclosed trailer with one ztr and some small equipment, I have a 1 ton dump for hauling material or my bobcat. I am just looking for a mowing set up.

It runs real strong for a six, but I am still on the breakin period and getting it set up [hitch, fitting horse trailer matting to box etc. ] so I haven't towed the mowers yet. I should by this weekend, I'll let you know. I don't see any problem as the gearing is very much to my liking.