PDA

View Full Version : Best Edgers?

boxoffire
12-01-2004, 01:15 AM
Ok I've come to conclusion that Stihl is probably my best choice from you folks in commercial Trimmers, so do they make top quality edgers as well or is there another make that stands out for edging (stick edgers that is)?

Tulsa Lawn Guy
12-01-2004, 01:27 AM
I use a Stihl and have been very pleased...

I'm sure Shin makes a good edger as well, I love my Shin Trimmer...

ChadA
12-01-2004, 01:40 AM
I just bought a used stihl edger today for $100. Looks like it just came off the shelf. I'll let you know tomorrow how it performs.

65hoss
12-01-2004, 09:09 AM
Ok I've come to conclusion that Stihl is probably my best choice from you folks in commercial Trimmers, so do they make top quality edgers as well or is there another make that stands out for edging (stick edgers that is)?

The Stihl FC 85 or FC 110 are the best designs on the market right now. Several years ago Stihl brought that edger design out. It has a second wheel off the gear box to keep it from scraping the concrete and gives you better and easier control. It is deeper in the shield area to keep it from clumping and clogging up inside and stopping the blade. The 110 4-mix power is awesome on edging. I have been running a FC 85 since they came out new several years ago. Next time it will be the 110's.

boxoffire
12-01-2004, 11:39 AM
Thanks much folks for your opinions. I had heard to get at least the FC 85 model for enough power and the thought of having a matching set of commercial Stihl trimmers/edgers always appealed to me anyway. When it's time, those will be the ones for me. Of coarse a used backup would be nice too and that could be another model it wouldn't matter as much to me there. I almost bought a Shin on ebay the other week but got outbid. Could have used the "Buy it Now" feature for $125 plus $30 shipping on a decent looking used one.

Braxton
12-01-2004, 06:13 PM
What would be the reccomendation for trimmers? And how does Redmax compare in this?

Thanks.

Braxton

Husky03
12-01-2004, 06:28 PM
I have a Stihl FC55 edger and is is allright. It clogs completely if the soil is damp and the starter switch has went out on it twice. It has very little use. If you are going to go with Stihl I say go with the FC85 for the extra power on newly edged lawns. If you have a good Husqvarna dealer anywhere near you I say give them a shot. Nobody seems to talk much about them, but IMO they make great stuff :)

boxoffire
12-01-2004, 09:48 PM
Thanks Husky, we'll do.... I saw a very nice looking Husqvarna walk behind mower at a new Outdoor equipment store just opened close by my house that was priced at $2200. Belt driven and I think only 36", but looked very solid and reasonably priced. Especially since a friend of mine was trying to get me to buy his used 48" walk behind Toro Proline that was about 10 years old for $2000. I said thanks but no thanks since it was belt driven as well and had no telling how many hours of usage on it. Think I'd rather have a new one for just a couple hundred more thanks.

tiedeman
12-02-2004, 06:58 PM
stay away from Cub Cadet. Very low powered, and poor design setup. Ya, I still use it, but it takes a long time compared to others that I have used in the past