PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with 6.2 ltire diesel

imalandscper
12-01-2004, 04:46 PM
i know i know it is the biggest mistake chevy made...but i need some help. there is this popping noise coming out of the engine....either a stuck valve or a bad injector. what do you guys think. it gets louder if the air cleaner cover is off so i know it is a fireing problem...and suggestions will help.

thanks........andy

Scag48
12-01-2004, 08:57 PM
Sounds like if you take the air cleaner cover off it's an injector problem. Chevy never did make very good injectors, sounds to me that could be the problem. I had an '82 with the 6.2 litre and I sold it earlier this year and the injectors were replaced at about 80,000 miles I believe. My grandpa was the previous and original owner and I got the truck when it had about 120K on it. In a year and a half I put a new tranny in it, a starter, an alternator, water pump, and a fuel pump. :dizzy: :cry:

txlawnking
12-01-2004, 09:05 PM
If it's popping through the intake.. You have a burnt/ sticking intake valve..Not a bad injector.

imalandscper
12-02-2004, 01:00 AM
yeah it is poppong through the intake...i think that is where i will start seeing as it is probably cheaper than replacing injectors. Would that cause it to use fuel or smoke more when you get on the pedal? just some other things i noticed. i suppose the only way to find out what cylinder it is would be to do a comprossion check on it.

thanks...........andy

txlawnking
12-02-2004, 07:27 PM
Andy, yes, it could make it smoke more, but unfortunatelly, you may have multiple problems..It runs about $250 for a set of reman injectors here locally ( if my memory serves me correct ) your gonna need a head gasket set, and expect machine work to Properly repair it's ailments.. I wish I could paint a prettier picture, but it just ain't so... The 6.2/6.5's are VERY expensive to work on compared to GM gasoline engines, and very cheap compared to a Powerstroke, Duramax, or late model Cummins.....

grass_cuttin_fool
12-02-2004, 09:13 PM
If you have acess to an infared temp gun you can take the exhaust temp from each exhaust port and which ever is cooler is the cylinder that isnt firing. We used to do that with the 855 cummins to figure out with injector wasnt firing or which cylinder is acting up. Before the temp gun we just always fired it up and waited to see which 1 you could hold on to lol maybe why i dont have good feeling in my fingers today.