PDA

View Full Version : Which walk behing mower is best?

karol
12-01-2004, 09:03 PM
Hi.

I want to buy a walk behing mower. I'm thinking Toro or Ferris. I'd like to know if anyone out there can input some information on them. I'm looking for something that will mulch or works the best in the peak of the season without leaving too many clippings. I'm trying to avoid bagging with a push mower although sometimes you can't. The walk behing would speed my cutting time that's the main reason I'm looking for one. It can't be bigger than 36 or 38 inches because of residential gates..

Thanks,

Earsal

tiedeman
12-02-2004, 10:33 AM
the only true way that you are going to be able to find out is take them for a demo. Must dealers will let you try them out for a little bit if you are serious or they think you are serious about buying one

simsy71
12-02-2004, 10:44 AM
That is a tough ?. Each person is different. My first mower was a Exmark Metro. Is it the best mower no but It suited me good. Most mowers mulch good in my opinion it has to do with the blades you use.

LawnBoy89
12-05-2004, 10:01 PM
I have the Ferris Ultrabelt, haven't had it too long but it runs great so far and stripes beautifuly and I am very satisfied with it.

kbremn71
12-08-2004, 12:14 PM
First, keep in mind that I don't mow that many lawns - two residential and a few commercial and I do it in a short day. Having said that, for my money, I use a Troy-Bilt 33" Wide Cut mower. They only cost around $1300 and they do a decent job. I don't know if anyone else here uses them but I can tell you that it will certainly not be the highest quality mower you ever buy but if you treat it well, it will get the job done.

I do wish that someone else would make a comparably sized machine to the Troy-Bilt that was built a little better and stayed in the price range.

Tn Lawn Man
12-08-2004, 01:33 PM
IMHO

I currently use Toro. They are great mowers.

However, when it comes to a WB I will likely go with Exmark next time. Exmark and Toro are basically the same mower, but the Exmark has the ECS hand grip system that will save your knuckles on bushes and trees.

scaglawnsnj
12-10-2004, 07:16 PM
get a scag 48" deck and a bob cat 21" Great starter stuff and very heavy duty..

Travis Followell
12-10-2004, 07:32 PM
some good walk behinds are- Scag, Toro, Exmark, Hustler, Great-Dane, Ferris, Cub-Cadet or Lesco, Bob-Cat, Encore, and Bunton. Those are a few that comes to mind. Dealer support is also important so also consider that when looking at the mowers.

TURF DOCTOR
12-10-2004, 07:35 PM
He is right unless you have a backup mower when it goes down getting it fixed is the problem.

Wrobel#1
12-10-2004, 09:56 PM
Bobcat baby #1

lawncare3
12-22-2004, 02:07 PM
Whatever works for you and has best dealer support.

LawnBoy89
12-22-2004, 06:16 PM
If there is a Scag dealernear you, get a Scag, same goes for eXmark, Ferris, Bobcat, etc. They are all good mowers and hopefully if you had a problem your dealer would try to get it fixed as fast as possible.

Do you have alot of accounts? Are you doing this full time? If you are doing it part time with only a few accounts you would probably be better off with a belt drivin mower, the hydros are alot more expensive and they might not be worth it for a part timer.