PDA

View Full Version : Corsair vs. Revolver

ThreeWide
12-02-2004, 08:07 AM
This time of year, the mostly dormant Bermuda we have in this area reveals the flaws of having some rogue fescue plants to spot spray here and there. My current mix of weed control includes simazine, but it doesn't seem to be affecting the fescue.

Anyone who has experience with both Corsair and Revolver, which is the best choice for safely removing the fescue?

I know that glyphosate is an alternative here, but our Bermuda sometimes has green stems under the canopy even in Winter. I might use it on my own lawn, but not a client.

PR Fect
12-02-2004, 03:21 PM
TU, we got a client to try a Corsair application for Fescue in Bluegrass. He paid the $100.00 for the product and we applied it at no cost to his 16K lawn. It was done late September and I have not been back sense. We plan a second app in Spring. Corsair also takes out Rye Grasses according to the label, so I would think about 40% of this guys lawn is going to disappear. Then we plan to over- seed. I know this does not help you much in Zone 7, but I will try to let you know in the Spring how we did with the Corsair.

TurfProSTL
12-02-2004, 10:41 PM
I used Corsair on tall fescue in zoysia with good results. The application was made in late summer, though, while both species were still actively growing. Can't tell you what kind of results to expect this time of year, even in Georgia.....

greenerpastures
12-03-2004, 09:30 AM
I applied revolver to a new account last year that had previously been a fescue/bermuda pasture.---it was a pretty good test. Fescue control was satisfactory, but product was extremely slow-acting. I would wait for warmer temps to apply---and knock out the rogue ryegrass at the same time.

This thread usually brings up revolver's use on dallisgrass. My tests have indicated it doesn't do the job on dallisgrass-----especially considering cost. Texas A&M research has demonstrated excellent control in 2002 tests and poor control in 2003 tests. Still waiting for a MSMA replacement.

YardPro
12-03-2004, 05:15 PM
if your bermuda is dormant use diquat, it will kill off the fescue. worst case scenerio it it will kill off whatever foliage the bermuda has. It will not hurt the rhizomes at all though.

DFW Area Landscaper
05-02-2005, 08:39 AM
I bought a $100 worth of Corsair last winter. Never again. You might as well spray the rye and fescue with water. I mixed the backpack at the fescue rate, which is like five times stronger than the rye rate. Treated the lawns last week of December. Nothing.

Then I bought a 50 gallon spray rig and tried mixing atrazine into the tank. This will get it. Only takes about 3 weeks or so in cold weather. One app gets the poa annua, but most of the fescue needs to be really drenched at a higher application rate or make a second trip.

The problem with using atrazine is that it will stunt the bermuda. The atrazine lawns are still not fully green here on May 1st.

One last thing: We had tremendous success on henbit with our mixture of 2, 4-D, sticker and atrazine. It smokes it pretty fast.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

LawnJohn
05-02-2005, 11:52 AM
TU - I would wait (if you can) until the fescue is stressed from the GA heat, then make an application otherwise the fescue will rebound when we get another downpour of rain..

I've treated lawns before with Corsair, checked the lawns and notice minor results, but when I sprayed with the fescue stressed the response time was fast.

I've never used Revolver, but I will in the near future.

PR Fect
05-02-2005, 06:45 PM
TU, we got a client to try a Corsair application for Fescue in Bluegrass. He paid the $100.00 for the product and we applied it at no cost to his 16K lawn. It was done late September and I have not been back sense. We plan a second app in Spring. Corsair also takes out Rye Grasses according to the label, so I would think about 40% of this guys lawn is going to disappear. Then we plan to over- seed. I know this does not help you much in Zone 7, but I will try to let you know in the Spring how we did with the Corsair.
It worked like a dream! Got some pics on another post. PR

slydog
05-02-2005, 07:42 PM
Can someone tell me how to mix 1 gal. of corsair at the tall fescue rate?

PR Fect
05-03-2005, 08:46 AM
Can someone tell me how to mix 1 gal. of corsair at the tall fescue rate?
Label says, 2.76 to 5.33 ounces per Acre for Tall Fescue. How much are you spraying?

slydog
05-03-2005, 06:17 PM
I would like to mix it 1 gal. batches to spot spray as needed. I have clumps of tall fescue popping up all over the place and i want to get rid of it. I don't want to spray everything, just spot treat.

PR Fect
05-03-2005, 07:14 PM
Slydog, if I did my math right, according to the label, the 2oz should be mixed with 16.4 gals water and sprayed at a rate of 1gal per 1000 sqft when using a back pack sprayer. I mixed the 2oz of corsair with 5.5 gals of water when I blanket sprayed 16K. I have a low volume sprayer. PR

slydog
05-03-2005, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it turns out.,