PDA

View Full Version : Whelen Hide-A-Way Strobes?

dmc456
12-02-2004, 06:58 PM
Who all has Hide-A-Way strobes on their trucks?

Is it mostly for safety or to get people to notice your truck or a little of both?

Does anyone put them on their trailer lights as well?

How do you install them? Doe you have to cut a hole in your current head light / running light assembly? Does this cause moisture or water leaks?

I see 20 watt, 40 watt, 60 watt, and 90 watt systems. What is enough and what is overkill?

Looking for input

Thanks

tiedeman
12-02-2004, 07:06 PM
do you have a picture? I am picturing two things, strobe for snow plowing, or the white strobe lights that makes it look like you are moving in slow motion

dmc456
12-02-2004, 07:12 PM
They are like what you see on a cop car when it has someone pulled over on the side of the road. Not the lights on top, but the pulsing (normally white) strobes that are hidden inside the grill or tail lights.

tiedeman
12-02-2004, 07:33 PM
What would you be using them for, and how come?

JHLC
12-02-2004, 07:41 PM
I have a four strobe set in my 2500HD. You have to cut a 1" hole with a hole saw to put them in. You also need to match the wattage of the power supply to the wattage of the strobe head. If you go too big on the power supply, you run a good chance of melting you head or tail light lenses.

Groundcover Solutions
12-02-2004, 07:42 PM
I have them in my jeep. They are very useful when you are say blocking a lane of traffic or are working on the side of the road. They get people to notice you and usualy slow down. I use thes in conjunction with an arrowboard or some other type of traffic control device. They are pretty simple to install. You should use a whole saw of the appropreat size and find a place in you tail light that the bulb from the tail light will not interfer with the strob tube. Once this whole is made you then place the storbo in and silicone the sides of the unit. the you would run the wires. You will need a power supply and a switch to run them. So this is wher it becomes difficult. You have to run a positave lead and a negative lead form your batary with an inline fulse. You then need to run it through your fire wall then back to the power supply. then run the wires for the switch and you are good to go. This is in the most simple terms of course. If you don't know what you are doing around car electircal systems dont do the job have them proffesionaly installed or you will end up with some serious issues with your electrical system.

coastallandscapesolutions
12-02-2004, 08:00 PM
We have strobes in all 4 corners on the trucks. Unless local regs say more that should be enough. Make sure you get 80 flashes per min front and back. DOT Reg.

Lux Lawn
12-02-2004, 08:24 PM
I have them in one of the plow trucks no need for a foor mount that way.

Jamesgateslandscaping
12-03-2004, 11:46 PM
I have a 6 head system, 4 in the front, 2 in the back, with a 60 watt supply. This is just perfect, I have yellow bulbs for all except the 2 that are in the parking lights (its the law in NH to have yellow). I did have a cop once stop when the truck was on the side of the road and look at them for a min or two to check the color, kinda funny actually. I also run a single one on the rook for plowing...damn thing lights up like a xmas tree. They also def. get you noticed and slow down cars when around your truck.

GTLC
12-06-2004, 06:54 PM
I'm a firefighter and I have Federal Signal clear Hide-a-way strobes in my ford Explorer. The hide a ways are used primarily for use in the headlights or taillights. I have mine mounted in the corner of my headlights so I am visible to cars on the side. I believe I have 60 watt strobes however I am not sure. Whatsoever, 60 watts is very bright and bright enough. If yu go up to the 90 watts, the can tend to be very blinding. I will post pics of them soon.

First of all, all you have to do is drill a hole in your headlight or wherever you want it mounted. the strobes have usually either a grommet or screw base and set right in the hole.

The thing with strobes is they require a power supply, which you have to buy separately.

Yes, you will find hide-a-way strobes in many cop cars and they are usually in teh headligths or taillights. They look light a bright spark if they are clear and at night they light up teh air like a quick lightning flash.