PDA

View Full Version : Buy now or wait

B.L.C.
12-02-2004, 10:58 PM
I am getting a new mower for this spring and was wondering if i should wait untill spring or go ahead and get one now becasue they tend to be cheaper this time of year. Also is it smart to buy a bigger companies older equipment..ie( a 2001 scag hydro walkbehind with 700 hours) what would u suggest.. also your opinions scag or exmark?

tiedeman
12-03-2004, 01:11 AM
actually, sometimes its better to wait until late winter/early spring. Basically February, March. Because they have to get rid of the out stock in order for the new.

HOOLIE
12-03-2004, 01:28 AM
My dealer actually has a lot of equipment in over the winter, he said the brands they carry like to unload the machines on the dealers to get them out of their warehouse. So I guess deals would vary from dealer to dealer.

muddstopper
12-03-2004, 10:34 AM
Depending on your tax situation it may be better to buy before Dec 31. The depreciation allowances for 2004 will change on Jan 1 of 2005. Buying before Dec. 31 and taking advantages of the tax allowances could reduce your tax rate considerablely. Consulting with your accountant before making the purchase could save you a lot of money.

work_it
12-03-2004, 10:52 AM
As for buying used equipment. It really depends on the company. Doesn't matter if it's a large company or a solo operator you're buying from. What's important is that the piece of equipment was well maintained and what kind of working order it's in. Do a little research to find out the most common problems with the machine you're interested in, and then you'll know what to start looking for when you're ready to buy. I found that one of the best sources of information is the mechanics at the dealership.

Mark McC
12-03-2004, 08:05 PM
Depending on your tax situation it may be better to buy before Dec 31. The depreciation allowances for 2004 will change on Jan 1 of 2005. Buying before Dec. 31 and taking advantages of the tax allowances could reduce your tax rate considerablely. Consulting with your accountant before making the purchase could save you a lot of money.

I'm no tax attorney, but I'm under the impression that if the purchase in question is less than $25,000, he can still do it in '05.

Can anyone else comment on this?

B.L.C.
12-04-2004, 01:19 AM
Thanks for your information.. how long to engines usually last before needing overhauling? the mower im looking at has 700 hours over 4 years seems like a lot to me what do you all thing

Travis Followell
12-04-2004, 01:41 PM
If they are taken care of they should last 2500-3000 hrs or more for an air cooled engine and a whole lot longer than that for a liquid cooled or diesel engine. Probibly about 6000 hrs or longer for them.