PDA

View Full Version : Brownpatch

jcr4au
12-02-2004, 11:53 PM
I have customer is is deeply concerned about the brown patch in his St. Augustine. He has asked me repeatedly if his grass will come back. From everything I understand, it should come back next spring. Is that really the case? Thanks

ampeg76
12-03-2004, 03:46 AM
....yes it will come back next spring, be sure to give her the basic tips.....which is to cut the water off and only water on a need be basis, bag the clippings to prevent the spread of the fungus and its spores, it can be a real problem here in Houston....

cheers
mike

SystemXpert
12-03-2004, 09:10 AM
Yes, it should come back. She also might trying spreading some horticultural cornmeal or cracked corn at 10lbs/1000sqft as a preventitive. Water infequently and deeply when needed. Don't overfertilize and bag clippings if necessary.

Green Dreams
12-03-2004, 10:13 AM
Brown patch is cosmetic. Raking out the areas will encourage some recovery and improve the appearence. Recent rains have lit up my yard like a Christmas tree out here in Katy. Recent colder temps will temporarly knock it back. Honestly, at this late point in the season, fungicide will help very little. And the chemicals at Home "where the hail is everybody when you need help" Cheepo don't work that well...

Green Dreams
12-03-2004, 10:17 AM
Hey Ampeg...

Greetings...just wondering what part of town you're in and what services you provide. Tried to send you a PM but you have them turned off..Thanks

Drew in Katy

timturf
12-03-2004, 07:03 PM
Yes the biggest culprit to encourage brown patch on cool season turf, is too much water. If I can get the client to let me operate the irrigation system, we have very little brown patch!

I would assume it's the same for warm season turf!

jcr4au
12-03-2004, 07:17 PM
He told me (yesterday) that he watered his lawn about 4 times/wk. this summer. That is on top of the tremendous amount of rainfall we got.

Green Dreams
12-03-2004, 07:25 PM
there ya go...it'll take Jesus Christ lawn care to stop it if it stays that wet. Just keep cutting it evry 2 weeks and let the rain come. I watered my lawn ONE time this year. It had gotten so dry in August, I had to do something. Ran my sprinkler for 4 hours to give it a good soaking.....got 2 inches of rain the next day...lol!

Haven't watered since and my yard is doing well...

ampeg76
12-04-2004, 03:17 AM
Hey Ampeg...

Greetings...just wondering what part of town you're in and what services you provide. Tried to send you a PM but you have them turned off..Thanks

Drew in Katy

Hey bro,

I'm living in the Copperfield area. To tell you the truth I'm about to take the plunge and start my own little business. I've been doing my fair amount of research and find this site a great pool of knowledge. I'll be certified and bonded by the first of the year! My services will include pH leveling, fertilization, and weed/insect control. I would love to say fungicides, but am unsure if its worth it considering the humid tropical temps we have for most of the year. I saw brown patch in July and August this year, jeez. Anyway thanks for the welcome. I tried to turn my PM on, but could not find out were to do so.......help please!

Cheers
Mike

Green Dreams
12-04-2004, 02:36 PM
Go up to User Cp, then click on "Edit Options" in the left hand column. Scroll down to "Enable Private messaging" and then click save at the bottom...