View Full Version : cic exam

ALTERAIN
12-03-2004, 05:21 PM
Has anyone taken the cic exam?

IRS
12-04-2004, 10:32 AM
Just took it in Tampa back Nov at the Irrigation show Also took the 2 day
class test is 4 hr 180 questions I hope I pasted it should know in a few
weeks Are yoo planning on taking it if you want more info let me know.
More people need to get involved with IA

IRS

ALTERAIN
12-07-2004, 09:32 AM
yes, I will be taking the exam on thurs I got 2 more days to sutudy, I prob. should of taken the two day corse but didnt have time. I just was hoping to get a feel for how tough it is. Did any one section, questions or group of questions catch you off gaurd. I am planing on getting alot more involved in the IA. It is the future of our livelyhood and will become the only way to justify and keep pricing where it should be.

IRS
12-07-2004, 08:24 PM
Hope your a lot smarter than I, been at this for 5 yr plumbing even more
if I had not taken class would not have come close many were taking it 2nd
time contact me I'll try to tell you more if you want invest a dime

Ground Master
12-07-2004, 09:28 PM
what are the questions like? can you provide examples?

IRS
12-07-2004, 10:11 PM
Lots of math must know formulas and conversions ie.Distribution Uniformity
precipitation rate gross and net, hydraulics, pipe sizing ,pumps ,
electrical ,plumbing code ,backflow , general business , contracts ,OSHA ,(My
test had 12 OSHA questions) I can't see how any one could pass without
CIC workbook really need Book and 2 day class test is 180 questions
it took me 31/2 hr. Don't think just because you have done this for years
your doing it the best way If you get this or other certifiion it will set you a
part from compitiion I think it will be a great Marketing tool .

ALTERAIN
12-08-2004, 06:01 PM
Well I've been studying the cic book,s like a nerd, reminds me of those days cramin before the big pass or fail exam (with out the beer though) I think I got a good idea what it will be like tomorrow? My head is spinning! it sure is alot of info to retain, alot of it very useful. I'll be sure to let you know how I think I did. If I don't pass the first time around I'll take the classes in march 05 and ace it! WISH ME LUCK!!........ It is multiple choice

IRS
12-13-2004, 06:44 PM
alterain: how was your test last week ?

Critical Care
12-15-2004, 10:50 AM
I feel that the more "marketing tools" you have the better off you are, but my question perhaps is does this tool qualify you for more jobs than what you've currently been doing? And, it's not my intention to play the devil's advocate, but when you advertise that you're CIC, CLT, or whatever, will the typical John Homeowner know what that is or means?

i_plant_art
12-15-2004, 01:26 PM
hey guys im not too much into irrigation so i have a stupid question that the answer might be right in front of me but im lost .

what do the abbreviations mean : cic, ia, clt ??

thanks

JeffY
12-15-2004, 06:07 PM
CIC : Certified Irrigation Contractor
IA: Irrigation Associtation
CLT: Certified Landscape Technician

ALTERAIN
12-17-2004, 11:28 PM
Well I believe I successfully completed the cic exam (certified irrigation contractor) but wont know for sure for 2-4 wks. My exam had a ton of O.S.H.A. Questions (over 30) and a lot of general business questions, other guys I talked to had a lot of math. I spent most of my time studying the formulas and word probs. and skimmed the o.s.h.a. chapters so I know I got some right. It is a well put together test, You will have to study and know your stuff even if you've been doing irrigation all your life.

I am currently on the licensing board that is pushing for licensing in this area (along with the local irrigation association) you will have to pass the c.i.c. along with some other type of fee or something......still in talking stage any ideas would be greatly appreciated on this topic.

Critical Care
12-18-2004, 11:27 AM
Well, it should be interesting to see how far and how much the IA will do. Licensing is just one part of the equation, enforcement is another. Will the IA act as the state agency with the power of law to provide fines and penalities to companies operating without being licensed? Will the IA require companies to be bonded and insured? And will the IA arbritrate disputes?

These are the duties of the Landscape Contractors Board here in this state. And believe it or not, but they have the right to inspect your financial records as well. I'm not sure if the IA will go this far... perhaps it would be good if they did because at least then there might be common ground between states.

ALTERAIN, sounds like you did okay.

ALTERAIN
12-23-2004, 10:21 AM
Well the exam is over I think I did alright, alot of osha questions, I wish I would of gotten an exam with more math since that is what I studied for.
If you plan on taking it make sure you STUDY HARD!