PDA

View Full Version : Dump Truck

alpine692003
12-03-2004, 10:51 PM
I'm considering getting a dump truck for my 3rd vehicle as my work truck..

i'm not sure what to get for a dump truck? All i know is Diesel / v8

Around 15-20k

what you guys recommend?

Gravel Rat
12-04-2004, 08:47 PM
It all depends on how much weight you want to carry I assume you are looking at 1 and 1.5 ton trucks when you said V-8 diesel ?

Myself I'am trying to decide can I get away with a 1 ton truck as I would like to have 4wheeldrive plus the fact I have been using my truck more for packing tools and carrying light loads. The problem with a 1 ton registered for 5500kgs then add a dump body it it will only leave you with a 3500-4000lb payload. Now if you go with a F-450 or 3500HD with a 6800kg gvw you will have a 6000lb payload.

The only drawback of a Ford F-Superduty or Chev 3500HD here in B.C. Canada is they are over 5500kg gvw so they are a commercial truck so if you register it for the full 6800kgs it needs a annual inspection etc. If you live in the zoo of the lowermainland (Vancouver) you can't park a F-450 in some neighbourhoods because the truck has a gvw greater than 5500kgs :angry:

You legally have to stop at the scales on the highway because again the truck is over 5500kgs :mad:

I wish the provincial govt would change the rules make the gvw limit higher so people can run a F-450 F-550,3500HD,4500 and 5500 trucks like a 1 ton truck. It is so much safer running a F-450 than a overloadsmobile F-350 or 3500 Chev 1 ton.

If you plan on packing good size loads of topsoil and sand or gravel go with a F-Superduty (F-450) or a Chevy 3500HD and suffer with 2wd. Myself I think I will suffer with 2wd as I don't want to deal with a overloadsmobile the older F-350 Fords and 3500 Chevs don't have enough braking power.

I went from F-350s to F-Superduties 4-5 years ago and I'am glad I made the move because hauling with a 1 ton truck was always a chore I hated dealing with no brakes when loaded. The only problem I have now is the places I have to deliver too are getting tougher and tougher so 2wd can be a hinderance.

If you are looking for a dump I would go with a minimum 10' box 11' better and a 12' is good for hauling brush and rubbish to soil and sand. The short boxes like 8 and 9 are pretty much too short you can't get enough weight forward. A truck with a 161wb 84 cab axle you can get enough weight forward to keep the front wheels lifting off the ground :laugh:

alpine692003
12-04-2004, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the info, ya i'm looking to get a diesel v8 FORD F-450 1ton automatic, 4x4..

I didnt know you had to stop at scales ... Do you have the www site for the BC Transportation site so you know whether or not you have to stop at scales?

alpine692003
12-04-2004, 08:59 PM
Also, with the F-450 can you tow a trailer and have the bobcat om the trailer? a BOBCAT 753

olderthandirt
12-04-2004, 09:41 PM
Also, with the F-450 can you tow a trailer and have the bobcat om the trailer? a BOBCAT 753
Yes
Thanks for the info, ya i'm looking to get a diesel v8 FORD F-450 1ton automatic, 4x4..
an F450 is not considered a 1 ton. You need to see a dealer. 15-20K not gonna get you much in the way of a F350 or F450 unless your looking for an older one or one thats been a little abused.

Mac

alpine692003
12-04-2004, 10:03 PM
I see, MAC!

UNISCAPER
12-04-2004, 10:12 PM
I have an 02 F-450 with 30K on it I am looking to sell. It has dual aluminum tool boxes, retractable rolling tarp, removable sided dump, billet grille, Alcoa aluminum wheels, brand new tranny still under warrantee from the factory air tilt cruise, etc etc.

I would let it go for $34,000, new the truck with equipment was $57,000.00 It has been serviced as needed. Rubber is brand new F rated.

For 15-20, Mac is right, you are going to find a used and abused truck that needs some work.

The only reason I am selling this truck is because I feel that going a size bigger than what I need I will eliminate alot of problems I may be causing by running the truck to capacity most of the time.

hoyboy
12-17-2004, 08:40 PM
Bill --

I need your opinion...let me pick your brain? We are revamping our fleet. I've decided to get out of the "truck repair" business. Not that we were in that business, but if you looked at our repairs and maintenance, and the shop we had dedicated to that side of the business, you wouldn't know otherwise.

So I am closing the repair shop. Letting the mechanics go (even though one is a friend of mine), and intend to buy all new trucks and run any repairs through warranty. I'll sub contract with a local mechanic/body shop to fix non warranty issues here on site (hopefully).

I have 8 trucks (currently f350 dumps) dedicated to residential maintenance...each pulls an enclosed trailer. I'm considering switching to 3/4 ton pickups and keeping them for 5 years and then selling...etc, etc. I will use truckcraft aluminum dump bodies, hoping to keep them for the second round of trucks for years 6-10.

In addition, I'll pe purchasing some heavier duty trucks for the installation crews. Probably need 5 or so in the Topkick size, or at least a 6500?

Opinions please!

Dan Norton
Hoy Landscaping, Inc.

UNISCAPER
12-18-2004, 01:40 AM
Hey Dan!

Long time no hear from. Hope all is well. I did that very same thing as soon as I could afford it. Have not had a hod open other than to change oil or grease/fluids in a while. There is nothing like just putting the key in the ignition and going to work.

If you are scaling down from 350's to 3/4 tons, I would ask if the trucks are going to be able to haul the amounts of material from the maintenance routes that they need to. I know in most of your stops, you are pretty close to home, so, for your area, you know what is best. If it is downsizing trucks, you are after, I would almost rather see anyone run 1 ton single rear wheel trucks over 3/4 tons, simply because they will out work the 3/4 tons and are not too much more money.

As far as 6500 seriies for installations, yes good move. If you are running heavy, my method is to buy one range heavier of a truck than what you will max out at on a daily basis. Thats why we are going the route we are. I still have the mid west in me, and am pretty sold on Mack trucks, even though these west coasters love thier Peterbuilts.

Letting mechanics go, that one might need to be rethought. You may need one guy for the size operation you have, if even to manage the maintenance of your fleet. 5 year plans are good, and you accountant should be able to tell you how to maximize your returns by going to 7 year plans, but, he should be able to tell you what would work best for your operation.

Are you planning on automatics, or stick? Anything into that size, I prefer stick, unless you have numerous drivers behind the wheel. Clutches can be far more costly than blowing automatics.

Sounds like you are going to be spending some money for sure Dan!

hoyboy
12-18-2004, 07:44 AM
Yep, I'm going to spend some money alright. But I've been spending money. Looking back over the past few years my maintenance budget could have purchased brand new trucks and then some. It's not the $200 carb repair that's the problem. It's the mechanic to fix it, the shop to fix it in, the lights in the shop, the phone to call the mechanic to tell him it needs to be fixed, the heat to fix it in comfort, and the equipment to fix it with. GRRRRRR!!!

So I'm drastically changing the way I operate. Starting with the trucks.

As for size, most of my trucks only put in about 5000 miles a year since most of my routes are very tight and only a couple miles from the shop. The maintenance crews probably need only to carry about 2-3 cy of grass clippings by the end of the day. The dump inserts (alluminum) weigh less and should allow for that, combined with some side rails for volume. I'm also thinking the 3/4's will get a little better gas mileage? Anyway, I will use them for plowing in the winter as well (remember plowing, Bill? that's what we do with the cold white stuff that falls from the sky. just in case you forgot) and most of my accounts are smaller, urban size parking lots, so the smaller trucks will help there too.

Bottom line, I'm looking for the cheapest way to operate and still get my guys from point A to point B. Funny thing having a mechanic...it justifies having older equipment because, hey, if it breaks I already have someone to fix it. It's a bad game and I'm not playing anymore. I ended up having crappy back up trucks just in case the crappy regular trucks break down.
In the last couple years I have begun to buy new, but now I'm cutting the umbilical cord and going all out.

Chevy or Ford, gas or diesel, 3/4 or 1 ton, etc.? Trying to determine the cheapest long term approach keeping in mind the mileage I use, the accounts I use them on, and the resale value at the end of the 5 years.

Good hearing from you! I think your the best equipment guy I know, so I value your opinion. Um, and hey, if you really miss the midwest I think we could partner up out here somehow if you decide to come back!

Dan

UNISCAPER
12-18-2004, 10:29 AM
Dan:

Your routes are tight, and that is a good thing! For your purposes, diesel probably would not be offset by the additional cost, especially if you are putting your units on a 5 year plan. You may want to calculate the resale return and see if you can get more that way, but, I'm thinking they won't pencil out.

As far as running Ford or Chevy, to even suggest it will start a myriad of pro truck users from both sides to bomb the post with preference over reality.

Me, I switched to Chevy because of the Allison tranny, and, bought 100,000 mile extended warrantees. We enjoy between 15 and have gotten up to 18.3 miles per gallon, with a pipe rack on the back. Ford makes a great truck however, I am not at all convinced thier new automatic tranny is what they claim it is supposed to be. I am always searching for the perfect truck, and, have had some pretty in depth conversations with the service manager at the local Ford dealer. He admitted the new tranny is too new, and he felt the Allison was the way for use to go. Now, you on the other hand, don't pull the hills we are pulling. Oak Park and River Forest are and always will be, flat. Snow plowing is one of the only challenges for your trucks. I would really do some digging before you buy into any one fleet. Maybe you could ask Scott McAdam or competition near you (providing you can converse with competition) and see what they think about the trucks they run. There is nothing worse than a new vehicle you maker payments on, that, is sitting in the shop, and you knwo as well as I do, people are very unforgiving if you miss thier lot after a snow.

As far as moving back, I have thought about it from time to time, and, am flattered of what you say. All things considered, it has truely been an adjustment moving here, people are operations are so different, you can't imagine. That said, I am booked until April of next year, and have secured a job on the island of Kona for June, so, we will be sending a crew to live there for a few months and we will fly back a few times a week to check progress. And the really cool thing, my Cat dealer has a new shop there too!

I don't need to worry about if we have enough trucks to cover the snow, nor do I worry about working 50 hours straight. Just lots of hard California clay to dig, concrete to pour and pavers to lay. Tackiling irrigation installs was at first a challenge, but, relatively easy in perspective to our move.

Anyhow, let me know if I can ever help with your ideas. This is a good forum for that.