PDA

View Full Version : NRS treatment?

Critical Care
12-04-2004, 01:38 PM
In this area necrotic ring spot is very common. Until recently most people had to put up with the condition, but now I think there is more of a tendency to go after it.

Have any of you had success in treating NRS? And what fungicide did you use?

I’ve been told that Eagle works well, especially in the granular form for some reason, but I see that more Internet “schools of thought” seem to point to Heritage (azoxystobin) as a treatment… and Heritage appears to be less toxic.

MrBarefoot
12-06-2004, 09:53 PM
The most "success" I had fighting NRS didn't come from using a disease control.

I switched to Milorganite, and reseeded the area with disease resistant rye's. Aeration every year, and keep the high nitrogen fert away from affected areas.

Critical Care
12-08-2004, 06:46 PM
I have one maintenance account that has a minor amount of NRS, and I can pretty well conclude that it spread directly from a neighbor's adjoining lawn. For the last year I've really been trying to watch the nitrogen and have tried to lengthen the intervals between irrigation cycles. This place also gets aerated and dethatched every year.

More than likely this stuff isn't going to disappear on it's own, and the control measures may only curb it's spread - to a point.

lawn king
12-16-2004, 06:19 PM
Try using rubigan!

Critical Care
12-16-2004, 10:35 PM
From what I've read, Rubigan tends to stunt the growth in bluegrass.

lawn king
12-17-2004, 08:01 AM
We never experienced any side effects using rubigan, except the dent it puts in the bank account. The core aeration and overseeding will help and as little watering as possible.

Critical Care
09-05-2005, 03:51 PM
Just an update on this... I applied Eagle twice during the spring, but as anticipated, the NRS has progressed. I'm afraid that I may have to just watch it run its course, even though i'm trying to fight it.

Unfortunately like many places out here sitting on solid basalt, this particular place has very shallow topsoil in areas. A soil auger will only go down an inch in places, and deep watering can be next to impossible. Next step? I'll do a couple of fall applications of Eagle and then if no change for the better, next season I'll reseed with rye. Will check the stats on Rubigan again...

turfsurfer
09-05-2005, 08:52 PM
I think the best chance you have is the combination of aeration, watch the fert. and irrigation and overseed with a resistant variety. This is a tough one for fungicides.