PDA

View Full Version : 95 dodge ram 1500 4x4 ?

kandklandscape
12-04-2004, 05:57 PM
The axle driver's side axle seal is going to need replaced. It is leaking gear oil. However, is it usually a good idea to replace both sides? I mean, like changing a rotor, don't just change one side?

Any ideas????

Also, this will be a plow truck, SO it will need to run in tip top condition.... so replace both sides or?

jimslawns
12-07-2004, 04:51 PM
Yes you certainly should replace all of it, atleast pack bearings, change gear lube, replace seals, grease all fittings and examine all ball joints, bushings, ect. Would you have time to do it right in a snow storm? ;)

earthwerks unlimited
12-31-2004, 07:17 PM
The seal I believe is farther into the axle tube than on a 2500. My '95 2500 had this problem too. Best to replace both sides at same time. The 2500's have the seal on the very outer end of the axle tubes. (I know this 'cause I bit___ at from the dealer when they found a dishpan-sized load of beach sand, roots and mud in the axle tubes when I brought it in for warranty service. DOH! That was from offroading at the sand dunes and the woods.

A 1500 as a plow truck. The springs are not designed for that extra weight, nor the front end parts. I wouldn't do it. My '99 2500 went through 2 complete sets of front end parts before I trade it for the '03 with the "snow plow prep package". Even withe the package, technically I should not have the 8'-6" BOSS v-plow on the truck, as Dodge says it is not rated for that much weight in the Owners Manual.