PDA

View Full Version : Who likes the new style attachment connectors?

UNISCAPER
12-04-2004, 10:25 PM
Personally, I think they suck. Never had any trouble with the old style, and even if
I relieve the back pressure from the lines, they are still a PIA to disconnect. Connecting, not bad, disconnecting, SUCKS!

ksss
12-05-2004, 03:35 PM
My problem is the new skid steers come with the new couplers but all my attachments have the old style. They are expensive to buy. The old couplers tend to get beat up bad on a concrete breaker due to vibration. Supposedly the new ones with the thicker rib are not as prone to the damage from concrete breakers. At some point I need to change over, just not yet.

Scag48
12-06-2004, 12:49 AM
Wait guys, I'm lost. Old style? New style? Can you explain? As far as disconnecting is concernced, we have some Cat pallet forks that are a PITA to get off. Everything else we have pops off the skid easy.

UNISCAPER
12-07-2004, 11:57 AM
Scag:
There once was a time when the connectors for the hydro lines were different for every brand name out there. And, even though you would have to adapt those lines when running another brand attachment, they were way easier to connect and remove than the standardized connectors we have today. What happens alot, is the outer ring that locks the balls into the grove on the female end twists. Then there is a roll pin on the bottom side that prevents the ring from going down all the way to disconnect. With the old style lines, grab the ring, push and off the attachment came.

The only time I ever have trouble on the mechanical connection is if dirt gets stuck between the tool plate, and the tool. We have hydraulic implement couplers on the 257, so, we don't have to get out to lock the work tool. Saves alot of wasted time for the $1,000.00 that option cost.

Scag48
12-07-2004, 09:08 PM
Ah, I see what you mean, I thought those couplers have always been a PITA to get on. We have to take a wrench and crack a line to get our couplers on in the summer. Not hard to take off, just tough to get on. Our Cat dealer told us the new couplers on our machine had some pressure release that wouldn't allow them to build up pressure from the hot sun and that they would be easy to get on. Haven't seen proof of this at all, so we don't change attachments during the middle of the day if we can help it. Kind of a waste of technology, we have all this fancy equipment but we have to manually release the pressure in the lines to get the couplers to couple. PITA. As far as the attachment plate goes, everything we have goes on pretty easy, except for our forks. Next machine we buy is going to have everything on it. Cab, A/C, heater, hydraulic quick attach, EVERYTHING.

drichards
12-07-2004, 10:21 PM
Something I have found with connecting and disconnecting the hydraulic lines on various implements is to make sure and unload the hydraulic pressure from the machine side before disconnecting. Also, make sure the implement you are disconnecting is in a neutral position. For example, with the grapples I put the thumbs all the way down, then unload the pressure from the machine, and the disconnect the hydraulic lines. With the six-way blade I set it on a flat level surface making sure none of the cylinders are under pressure, unload the machine, and then disconnect the lines.

When reconnecting the lines I again unload the machines hydraulic pressure and connect the lines. “Most” of the time this works great and I have no problems reconnecting any attachment. However, I have found that it takes just a little pressure from either the machine, or usually the implement side to make connection impossible. This seems to happen most often at the end of a very long day when I did not pay enough attention to the disconnect process. When all else fails, two wrenches to relieve a few dribbles of pressure works every time.

The real PITA here is that we spend thousands of hard earned dollars to buy the best equipment available to be the most productive and we have to learn how to deal with and overcome the short comings and quirks on our own time. Oh well, what else do I have to do!?!

ksss
12-12-2004, 03:53 PM
The way we release the pressure is to shut the machine off, rock the aux. hydraulic activation lever then disconnect hoses. Sometimes if this is not followed you cannot reattach the hydraulic lines without removing the coupler and draining it. That is usually the case when you don't have the toolbox with you. :realmad: