PDA

View Full Version : Dodge and heater cores!

HOMER
12-05-2004, 09:04 AM
I own a 2000 Dodge 2500 with the Cummins.............it needs a heater core.......again............it'll be the 4th one since it was new. I've had it with this crap......the heater cores are $200.00 and the labor is $375.00 to install. The first one went out when the truck had 55000 miles, the second one made it another 20000 miles before it went out........they always go bad when it starts getting cold. I was told last year that I needed to add some conditione to the radiator so I did. It's supposedly electrolosis or some crap that keeps eating holes in the cores. Is there a good stop leak product out there that might seal this thing up for a while. Every year it happens right before Christmas. I also wonder if this is more of a diesel thing or just the newer electronic junk that causes this to happen. It's funny how you could run an old Chevy in the ground but the heater never quit working.

chambers 38
12-06-2004, 08:52 PM
I was a teck at a dodge dealer for 2 years, I was a "truck teck" and all the newer dodges (97or so, to 2003) the heater core and a/c evaporator are the most useless (next to the trany that need to be replaced on a monthly basis) I wouldn't recommend a additive becawse that will help the heater core go out agen. this is because (if I remember correctly) the heater core is two part the top where all the hoses come in are plastic and so is the bottom of the core!!
The only thing i know to work is to disconnect the heater core and just buy a chevy,,haha napa should a better core or a high daller core without the plastic top and bottom just not one from slowpar because their replacement part are no better (as you know by now with all the core's you gone thew)
And no its not a cummin's thing, that just the best thing dodge as going for them and as sone as they get better trany and rearend gears I'm going to buy the first one in Sarasota!!
hope this helps

HOMER
12-07-2004, 12:44 AM
The last 2 cores were bought from Car Quest. I added some stop leak today against my better judgement. I'm hoping that works and can get me through this winter anyway. The tranny has already been rebuilt at 78,000 miles. No problems with the a/c..........it'll run ya out.

UNISCAPER
12-07-2004, 10:37 AM
Find a good radiator shop and tell them your problem. Ask then to make you an all metal core, which, most of those guys can make anything. Either that or buy the Chevy.

HOMER
12-08-2004, 01:23 AM
The Chevy's sounding better than the core.

chambers 38
12-08-2004, 11:31 PM
ya go with the chevy ,,
1991 200?? miles ,, only real thing I have had to do is add headers to replace manafold that are like paper and dont last, thats the only thing I have had to do

Eric 1
12-09-2004, 09:59 AM
ya go with the chevy ,,
1991 200?? miles ,, only real thing I have had to do is add headers to replace manafold that are like paper and dont last, thats the only thing I have had to do

You to huh?

chambers 38
12-09-2004, 09:22 PM
ya,, love the headers thow 3/4 ton drives like a 1/2 with the headers :) :cool2:

Eric 1
12-09-2004, 10:17 PM
ya,, love the headers thow 3/4 ton drives like a 1/2 with the headers :) :cool2:

What do you mean, it feels quicker?

Did you use the shortys or have the exhaust customized for long tubes?