PDA

View Full Version : Mulching Kit?

yokes
12-05-2004, 10:58 AM
I've never used a mulching kit but I am considering buying one for next year. Can anyone explain how it works, do the clippings still get discharged out the side? And is one worth having?

captaingreen
12-05-2004, 01:54 PM
A mulch kit includes baffles which individually enclose each blade under the deck so that the clippings are cut several times into small pieces, the particles then fall from under the deck to the ground, the kit will also include a mulch plate that covers the discharge chute and mulching blades. Spring in my opinion, is not typically a good time to mulch, the grass will often clump up and make a mess. Fall is an excellent time to mulch, it will really clean up a lawn that has a small amount of leaves on it.

TLM
12-07-2004, 08:57 PM
A mulch kit includes baffles which individually enclose each blade under the deck so that the clippings are cut several times into small pieces, the particles then fall from under the deck to the ground, the kit will also include a mulch plate that covers the discharge chute and mulching blades. Spring in my opinion, is not typically a good time to mulch, the grass will often clump up and make a mess. Fall is an excellent time to mulch, it will really clean up a lawn that has a small amount of leaves on it.
I have to disagree - I use a Lazer w/mulching and after I cut , any time of the year, it looks great. I never take the mulcher off and only a few time I will need to mow over again when I mow Fescue that's at least 18' or higher. Get the mulcher - get good blades - and kick ass

captaingreen
12-07-2004, 11:48 PM
I have to disagree - I use a Lazer w/mulching and after I cut , any time of the year, it looks great. I never take the mulcher off and only a few time I will need to mow over again when I mow Fescue that's at least 18' or higher. Get the mulcher - get good blades - and kick ass
That is an awesome machine if it will cut 18' high fescue, I stand corrected.

Shady Brook
12-08-2004, 12:11 AM
Yeah, I am buying one if it will cut 18' or more. :D

Take note of the region where folks say they use a mulch kit year round. I think you will find they mostly reside in the south. For me trying to mulch a good stand of Fescue, or KY Blue can be pretty messy. If a yard is not fertilized, you may be ok. Try it when it is fertilized well, and growing fast a mulch kit is no good for my business.

Consider a discharge shoot blocker as an option. It is not a mulch kit, but helps keep the landscapeing clean.

Good luck
Jay

lpwhandyman
12-08-2004, 12:18 AM
Exactly what mower are you using? What are you using for ''good blades''? Do you discharge out the side or do you have a chute blocker while mulching?

kalyeah
12-08-2004, 01:09 AM
I tried to keep the mulch kit on this past spring. It'll be off for the up coming spring season. It's great in the fall, but was a mess during the fast growing season. When it's wet matters only get worst.

TLM
12-08-2004, 06:40 PM
I use a Lazer 60' 27 hp - mulching kit from Exmark. I have 2nd set of blades and run them about 2 weeks then switch. Keeping good sharp blades is a must.

YardPro
12-08-2004, 09:19 PM
we use them on ALL our machines.
i would not own a machine here without one.
i don't know how well they work on the more lush cool season turf's, but on centipede, zoysia, st aug, and bermuda, they rock.

no blowing debris into beds, drivewaw's etc.

out blowing time is cut in half.

also since the discharge chute is gone, the machine is narrower.

captaingreen
12-08-2004, 09:56 PM
we use them on ALL our machines.
i would not own a machine here without one.
i don't know how well they work on the more lush cool season turf's, but on centipede, zoysia, st aug, and bermuda, they rock.

no blowing debris into beds, drivewaw's etc.

out blowing time is cut in half.

also since the discharge chute is gone, the machine is narrower.
Wow, I wish that was the case here. Our bluegrass/fescue is so lush and full of sap in the spring in will clog up the best decks with a mulch kit on. I used offset high lifts through July to help with this problem. Mulching is a fall only deal for me.

cleancutccl
12-08-2004, 10:51 PM
I just run gators and highlifts, one of each on each spindle, and put on an OCDC, works fine for me. Don't need the extra cost of a mulching kit. Usually grass is too wet or lush to run a mulching kit here anyway.

YardPro
12-08-2004, 11:03 PM
yea, they are not as good on the winter rye we mow.
we overseed so few though, that it's not worth swapping them out.

YardPro
12-08-2004, 11:37 PM
I just run gators and highlifts, one of each on each spindle, and put on an OCDC, works fine for me. Don't need the extra cost of a mulching kit. Usually grass is too wet or lush to run a mulching kit here anyway.

the main benefit of mulching is no discharge.
no chute, and no thrown debris.

you are not limited in the direction of your mowind. you don't have to worry about throwing clippings into or onto anything.