PDA

View Full Version : My mower

Smithers
12-05-2004, 04:07 PM
Did not see any threads with pics of mowers (did not do a search either), so here are a few pics of my mower when it was clean :rolleyes:

Smithers
12-05-2004, 04:08 PM
another one.....

Smithers
12-05-2004, 04:09 PM
another one..

Smithers
12-05-2004, 04:12 PM
6x12" ..........

splatz100
12-05-2004, 04:24 PM
i wish they still made the 17/44

Smithers
12-05-2004, 04:26 PM
splatz100,

what do you mean??? exmark still makes 17hp, 44" deck with Kaw engine.

splatz100
12-05-2004, 06:27 PM
whenever i asked the price they said it wouldnt be in production for 2005

SouthernYankee
12-05-2004, 06:30 PM
hey pentrenz,

I am in the market for a ztr and the same exmark that you have is tops on my list. Could you answer some questions for me about that mower and your truck trailer? I really would apprecate it!!

1.What is the width of your emark hp...can you fit through gate openings?

2.Do you wish you got a bigger mower for larger yards? I am looking for an all around mower that will do big yards, but still be usefull for small to average size yards, Does your mower fit the bill for this application?

3.How does your f150 do pulling your enclosed trailer?

4. Do you think you could fit a walkbehind 48" mower in the trailer with you hp too?

thank you SY

splatz100
12-05-2004, 06:34 PM
here is what terry said

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=86835

Smithers
12-05-2004, 09:03 PM
splatz, sorry about that....i did not know...on their websites, the mower is still on there and they dont mention anything about dropping it. but what's wrong with getting a 19hp engine? the price is pretty good too.

SouthernYankee

You can ask me as many questions as you want. no big deal. i love helping people.

1.What is the width of your emark hp...can you fit through gate openings?

i have a 44". i can fit it thru a 46 or larger, nothing less. There is this yard i have that is just big enough that i can crawl thru. i get in, but man, i am almost scratching the deck. ...i was desparate this year and i was trying to get any job that came my way. but starting next year, i will do what most people do.....if my mower does not fit, i dont want the job.

However, i just did a cleanup for a guy that had a 36" gate. I offered him to find a fense contractor (with no mark up fee) and change his gate so that i can charge the owner $150 for cleanup. The owner spent $350 for a new gate, paid me $150 for the cleanup....everyone went home happy and i made a new friend - the fense contractor.

2. Do you wish you got a bigger mower for larger yards? I am looking for an all around mower that will do big yards, but still be usefull for small to average size yards, Does your mower fit the bill for this application?

Yes and no.....i know it's a silly answer, but i willl try to explain...Every time i cut one of my clients' yards (4 acres), i sure wish having a 72" mower (even bigger if they made them). But every time i have to cut that yard with the 46" gate, i am glad that it fits thru (the owner is a school teacher and she is cheap). I used a rental once (52"), and loved cutting her neighbor's yard....but coulnt' cut hers. had to wait until mine came back.

See, you have to understand that i have a full time job and i am part time solo LCO. I do this after hrs and it is not my only source of income. So, it's ok if it takes me 20 min longer to be done with a yard. there is this yard that i charge $22 to cut the grass, and it takes me 50 before i leave....yeah, i am not very happy, but he is a dream client...always wants something else done.

So, if i were you, i'd look around in your area and see what kind of gates the people have. The houses in my area are more than 30 years old...when they made small gates. Ga has large lots, they might not even have fences. If they dont...get a 48" or a 52". they are great. dont know how much extra you have to pay, though.

3.How does your f150 do pulling your enclosed trailer?

First, i have a 4.6L V8. I wish i had a bigger trailer (at least wider). Let's put it his way.....if i could, i'd get an F-250 right away. But Ga is pretty flat, so you will be ok. my truck is kinda old, so maybe that's why.

4. Do you think you could fit a walkbehind 48" mower in the trailer with you hp too?

For awhile i had a 36" WB exmark and this one. I was able to fit them fine with no problem once i put the trimmer and edger on the walls. I think they come to about 144" together, and the trailer is about 148" or something like that. The truck did ok pulling both, as well. it's a good truck, just wish it was a 5.4L.

My final thoughts....depending on your company size, you might need a small mower for smaller applications. I got mine from a residential exmark customer. It was 1 year old....paid $4200 with 36 hrs on it.. could not beat that price....i wish it was bigger, but being solo, it's fine. my house sits on a 60'x110' lot and i am done cutting grass in 7 min.

if you are planning on expanding and can't afford a bigger one, get this one for now....then you can go back to the dealer (at least i can) and trade it in... if i had it my way and a place to store, i'd get 2 mowers - one fore big applications, one for small. but i can't store them, so i am fine with just one.

i hope i helped you and not confused you more.

let me know if you have any questions.

Eric 1
12-05-2004, 09:56 PM
Look nice.

How about some pics of the truck and inside the trailer.

Smithers
12-05-2004, 10:40 PM
hey Eric,

dont really have any of inside the trailer...and that was a pic when the trailer was not even used. did not even think about shooting the inside.

unfortunatelly did not put any epoxy on the floor and over the past year it ruined the bottom. not really ruined, but stained and does not look pretty.

Expert Lawns
12-05-2004, 10:48 PM
good stuff George, thanks for sharing. wish my lazer still looked like that

Smithers
12-05-2004, 10:50 PM
expert, i know you have a slightly bigger one....answer the questions above.

do you wish you had a bigger one?

i know that the more i cut, the harder it is to keep it clean and looking good.

post a pic of yours.

Expert Lawns
12-05-2004, 10:59 PM
George I don't have any pics of my mower, but can post some tomorrow after I winterize my equipment.

Mine is a 48''. Biggest I would go would be a 52, smallest would be a 36. I demoed a 52/23 this summer and fell in love. That's my first purchase in the spring along with a 7x16 trailer.

I've been luck with gates. I haven't ran into a problem fitting my lazer through any gates. If you're good, you can weasle your way through small gates by putting one castor tire through first, then wiggling around slowly, then on an angle getting the other side through. I did however have to take a gate off one time. (gave me an extra 3 inches). I ended up dropping the account because he didn't want to pay the extra charge I had to add.

Smithers
12-05-2004, 11:01 PM
so, you are getting a new 52" with a 7x16 trailer? good for you. what are you doing with your current mower? trading it? selling it?

Expert Lawns
12-06-2004, 12:35 AM
keeping it. we're growing a bit and i will be adding an employee or two next year

Expert Lawns
12-06-2004, 02:43 PM
George, here are a few pics of my machine on the trailer. I will post another one later when I take it off to clean/winterize.

Expert Lawns
12-06-2004, 02:45 PM
second one...........

Smithers
12-06-2004, 03:06 PM
expert, thanks.....it does not look that bad...just some discoloration near and the exhaust and a few other places, but overall, that's what you'd expect if you use it all the time (and you do, right?).

you are doing this full time, nothing else, correct? are you happy and planning on doing this for as long as you can?

i just bought a tarp (Huge one 30'x40') to cover my trailer....do you cover yours? i might ask in the other portion of the forum to see if anyone is doing it. my problem is that once i get the tarp out of the box, i will never be able to store it neatly again...and it will take half of the garage.

Expert Lawns
12-06-2004, 03:38 PM
George, my mower usually looks a lot better. I haven't had a chance to clean it up since I started fall cleanups. The worst spots are on the gas tanks; if I over fill them, they dripple out of the top of the cap and dust/debris gets stuck in there. Its nasty.

Yes, I do this full time, but I'm also a college student; part-time during the spring, winter and fall. full-time student during the winter. I will do this through college, then I more than likely will be moving out of the area after graduating. I plan to sell then; 2-3 more years.

I do not tarp my trailer, I simply store it in my shed after everything is winterized. My 2-cycle is stored in my basement. The only thing stored on the trailer are the mowers. I keep them accessible in case I get some free time during the winter to do any repairs to the trailer that I have put off

Eric 1
12-06-2004, 06:34 PM
Look's like the mower just fits on that trailer.

SouthernYankee
12-07-2004, 02:08 AM
George,

Thanks for the info. I would like your opinion on this.

What I am primarly looking for in a ztr, is a versitale machine that is good on big open yards, but is also a good machine on your average lawn. I know that a bigger deck makes for faster mowing, but as a whole is your 44" a good all around mower? Like I said I would be doing a mix of yards and I cant see that 4" of cut would really make for that much of a faster cut time. Your opinon sir. thank you SY

I am in between getting the HP 44" or a lesco z2 48"

the HP is around 6500 and the lesco is only 5500, so you can see my problem.

I am leaning towards the HP, but the price of the Lesco is right.

Expert Lawns
12-07-2004, 06:35 PM
Look's like the mower just fits on that trailer.

The trailer is 6ft wide, mower is 48'' (4ft). It looks cramped, but there's plenty of space

Smithers
12-07-2004, 09:43 PM
but as a whole is your 44" a good all around mower? Like I said I would be doing a mix of yards and I cant see that 4" of cut would really make for that much of a faster cut time.

I am in between getting the HP 44" or a lesco z2 48"

the HP is around 6500 and the lesco is only 5500, so you can see my problem.

I am leaning towards the HP, but the price of the Lesco is right.

SY, as i said....i really like my mower. i have never used a lesco, so, i cant tell you anything about them. i am sure that everyone will have their opinion. go and test drive both. I know that i will never buy a WB again...unless i grow and get some hills to cut. If i do, it will be a hydro. the belt drives suck in tight places.

I agree.....4" will not make big difference. if you grow, you can always get a 60" as your next mower if you need to. i really try to look into the future to see what my goals are and what i should prepare for. i know that i will be a part time solo for a long time, so that will be plenty for me.

SouthernYankee
12-08-2004, 11:51 AM
Petrenz,

I want to thank you for all of your help!!! I really appreciate it. thanks again, SY

Smithers
12-08-2004, 11:43 PM
SY, any time, buddy.

let me know if you or anyone else has any questions that i can answer. as many people know probably, i am not that experienced, but i always share what i know or hear. :angel:

Smithers
12-28-2004, 07:16 PM
I know it's kind of off topic, but i built my workbench over the past few days. Wanted to put up a few pics.

Smithers
12-28-2004, 07:18 PM
another one with the drawer pulled out.

i dont have stuff to fill them up with. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

fishinman22487
12-28-2004, 07:31 PM
Petrentz-
I love the drawers, excellent way to use the space. Any ideas on what your going to put in them?

Smithers
12-28-2004, 07:36 PM
Thanks, Fishnman...i really appreciate that feedback.

Well, i am not a pack rat, so as of now they will be empty. I have two 48" wide cabinets next to the bench on either side and they are mostly empty, wondering what to do with them.

As of now, i will be putting my brand new set of mower blades in the third drawer (not the open one). I also put a soft cloth of Husky wrenches in the smallest one, fit perfectly.

I throw away whatever i dont use for 1 year (unless it's tools, of course). i figure, if i have not used it by now, i will not use it. except for this project, i dont even have a scrap piece of 2x4, that's how finicky i am about "storing" stuff.

where in florida are you?

MidSouthLawn
12-29-2004, 05:47 AM
Petrentz,
Nice looking bench, I like how you installed the miter saw. I am thinking about doing the same thing. On the drawers, do you have swivel casters or fixed? I think I will put the fixed to make it easier to pull in and out. How is the weather up there?

Smithers
12-29-2004, 01:47 PM
Mid south,

I installed the fixed casters on three out of the four drawers. By accident the last two i had picked up were swivel, so i will see how it goes. i am afraid the fixed will be hard to manouver when the drawers are full. we'll see.

Thanks for the compliment. I got the design from The Family Handyman magazine. I am not as artistic to come up with this kind of design (although simple).

The weather will get better here 40-50F today and tomorrow....will melt that 12" snow that we have on the ground. :cool2:

fishinman22487
01-05-2005, 09:38 PM
Petrentz
I live in St Augustine, its about 30 mins south of Jacksonville. The 2005 home of the SUPER BOWL!!!

How is the snow melting up there? Sounds like its pretty wet :cry:

Smithers
01-06-2005, 12:01 AM
Petrentz
I live in St Augustine, its about 30 mins south of Jacksonville. The 2005 home of the SUPER BOWL!!!

How is the snow melting up there? Sounds like its pretty wet :cry:

I know all about St. Augustine. I know about the fort, about the gator farm, the light house, everything. There is a hot sauce store right next to the old college in the touristy area.....great hot sauces.

i also went to UF for 5 years and lived total of 8 years in Florida.....so i know that area very well.

it is snowing right now and it has been coming down since this morning at 6am. too bad i dont have a nice new, big blower to take care of the snow. all i have is what the previous homeowner of this house left behind :cry: :cry:
already snowblowed once tonight.

fishinman22487
01-12-2005, 10:45 PM
I would have never thought that someone on LS, would actually know St. Augustine. What a small world we live in, lol.
Just curious what did u study at UF.
After Christmas I went to Gainesville, went to see a botanical garden and a really cool butterfly rainforest the UF students made. I'll try to post some pics.

Smithers
01-12-2005, 11:45 PM
you live in a very touristy area. i am sure that many people have visitid your area.

i studied Mechanical Engineering from 96-00. I have been to the botanica gardens only once with a date. she never answered the phone after that. i guess i was boring. hehe

fishinman22487
01-13-2005, 07:50 PM
Well I guess she thought, ok this guy loves plants too much for me, lol. Sorry it didn't work out.

Do you mind me asking you why you choose to do Lawn Maintenance after you got a 4 year degree. I have been having a lot of doubts about the LC business, for example when your self employed your life insurance rates are sky high. But a good thing is you can set your own hours. Any advice?

Smithers
01-13-2005, 08:23 PM
give me a day. my wrist hurts from typing so much over the holiday. i am pecking on the keyboard with one hand. wil tell u all about it

Smithers
01-17-2005, 12:39 AM
Well I guess she thought, ok this guy loves plants too much for me, lol. Sorry it didn't work out.

Do you mind me asking you why you choose to do Lawn Maintenance after you got a 4 year degree. I have been having a lot of doubts about the LC business, for example when your self employed your life insurance rates are sky high. But a good thing is you can set your own hours. Any advice?
ok, let me just do a little bit. ask me any q's u need to, ok? if u need to, u can pm me, too.

i have only 5 accounts. will grow to 10 or 15 this year. i also would like to do landscape installs. this is where the money is. but u need to know what u r doing. i do light stuff, cause i dont know a lot of stuff.
but here is the thing...i have a full time job as an engineer that pays really well. they give me insurance, sometimes bonus (if there is a profit), and that helps a lot.

i am planning on this upcoming year to work from 7-4 at my job. at 5, be at a clients house. do 2 a night, 5 nights. then sundays, do fertilizer or SMALL installs, like shrubs, branches, planting, etc.

i need to make at least $50,00 net to be able to live from the LCO business. but i have a house, no kids, my state is expensive,.

let me know if you have any more q;s ok? i love to help.

Metro Lawn
01-17-2005, 12:46 AM
Any luck with your sign problems?

Smithers
01-17-2005, 12:49 AM
Any luck with your sign problems?
no, not really. one guy had an idea, but i dont want to drill in my trailer. i wish you osted this in there, so you can bring it up back on top.

fishinman22487
01-18-2005, 10:56 PM
Hats off to you if you can do your engineering job and run a small lawn business!!
About how many months do you actually mow in Michigan?
Do you do any snowmobiling in Michigan?
My next door neighbor lives part time in Traverse City Michigan, right on a lake too.

Smithers
01-18-2005, 11:17 PM
what's your name? i really dont like that people here have screen names. they are so close to each other and really hard to remember.

anyway, i like mowing and my business in general much more than the engineering work. We mow here from about the first week or April (if we are lucky) till about the mid october. about 26 weeks or so.

i dont do any snowblowing. i wish i did, but i really cant. two reasons. when i am at work from 8-4 or so...if it snows, people will be upset that i can't get to their yard until 6-7 at night.

2. i have a 4x2 truck, not a 4x4.
3 the insurance is outrageous for plowing. once you add that, you have to get a second job, pretty much.
4. plows are expensive - $2600 for the basic. Blowers are about $1,000 for a commercial duty.

any questions, let me know.

fishinman22487
01-18-2005, 11:22 PM
Well my names Noah. I dont like to give to much info on the web.
A lot of the guys in Florida usually can mow between 35-45 weeks a year.
Florida is a great place for the "green industry" jobs!!!

I'm looking to buy a new truck, possibly an F150. Is yours a V6 or V8?
If you dont mind do you have any pics of yours?

Smithers
01-18-2005, 11:38 PM
noah,

i had a really good friend in school, his name was Noam.
yeah, florida is good for grass, but there are too many hispanic people that would cut it for peanuts. dont know how you'd do againts them.

I have one pic of my truck. when i bought it used. i will find it and post it. it's a 4.6L V8. the gas mileage is great - 14 with trailer and 15-16 without...on a highway empty, i get 20.

a new truck? if you get a new one, i work at Ford. i can give discounts to people. 4 per year. let me know if you need one, ok? it does not work on used vehicles. only new.

fishinman22487
01-18-2005, 11:46 PM
George-
That would be cool if you have a picture!
What Im looking at is a kinda basic truck, but not stripped, lol, V8, no 6 cylinder, no power in a 6 with a full size truck.
Actually, there's not too many hispanics around my town, I think there more like central and south Florida.

Do you have AIM?

Smithers
01-19-2005, 12:12 AM
Do you have AIM?

i think you mean, AOL, right? i do, but have not used it in years. i'd rather talk on the phone to you if you need to. let me know.

here is a pic of my truck.

actually, i can't. it wont let me. here is the threat where it is located. it is right in the middle of the page....white infront of Alpine Auto.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=89674

Metro Lawn
01-19-2005, 12:53 AM
Here's an idea. Get several sheets of sheet metal slightly larger than the magnets. Paint one side of the sheet metal to match your trailer. Apply industrial application 2 sided tape to the other side of the sheets. Stick these on your trailer in the locations where you want to put your signs. If you ever sell it ect., just remove the sheet metal and wipe of any glue residue that is left. Good as new and no drill holes.

Smithers
01-19-2005, 10:28 AM
metro, you do have some good ideas. that is really good. that is really damn goood....it will fixt the "selling problem"...

now one question...are those the industrial velcro pieces that hold in any weather up to 30# that i need to buy from HD? or i have to get them somewhere else?

also, are you sure that i will be able to take it off the trailer when selling it? if this works, that is the best idea thus far. thanks, metro. thanks a bunch!!

Metro Lawn
01-20-2005, 12:33 AM
Don't use Velcro, get 2 sided heavy duty tape. Same kind of stuff used to hold moldings ect. on cars. The sheet metal will stay on the trailer until you decide to sell it. Just heat it up a bit with a hair dryer and pull it off. It may leave some glue, but any solvant will remove that.