PDA

View Full Version : pricing annuals

brinlee lawn
12-05-2004, 05:30 PM
What is the standard on pricing, for installing annual flowers? Is it $xx.xx hourly plus cost of flowers, or somehow figure out a price per flat installed. I would appreciate any help and examples.

DennisF
12-05-2004, 05:39 PM
I planted about 300 flats of annuals this past Spring for my customers. I get the annuals for $10-$12 per flat from a local nursery. If the customer wants 10 or more flats planted I charge $10 per flat to plant them. If they want less than 10 flats the price jumps to $15 per flat.

khutch
12-05-2004, 08:13 PM
$25 - 30 per flat. Less than 2 flat per any one site is rarely worth it....

Gautreaux's LNG
12-05-2004, 10:26 PM
$30.00 per flat. If it's a maintenance customer no flat minimum...

Anyone else it's a 3 flat minimum!

Geezer
12-06-2004, 12:53 AM
DennisF, how are you recovering the cost of the plants?

What size plants are you guys talking about ? 606 flats (cell packs, 36 plants per flat) What is your production rate for installing ..(flats per hour for example?

What spacing are you installing the plants on? How are you preparing the beds? Are you adding soil amendment? ... Tilling the beds...What type of fertilizer are you using? How do you charge your customer for maintenance (pruning, dead heading, etc)?

What do you estimate your costs to be to install and maintain color beds? It would be worthwhile to consider all these things and come up with a pricing structure based on a per square foot basis.

You should really spend some effort on your color program as it can really set you apart from your competitors. Some larger markets have companies that specialize in seasonal color bed design, install and maintenance...that's all they do....flowers.

You can make some decent margins off of color work....but it is difficult in a market area where other people are giving work away......

DennisF
12-06-2004, 07:57 AM
DennisF, how are you recovering the cost of the plants?

What size plants are you guys talking about ? 606 flats (cell packs, 36 plants per flat) What is your production rate for installing ..(flats per hour for example?

What spacing are you installing the plants on? How are you preparing the beds? Are you adding soil amendment? ... Tilling the beds...What type of fertilizer are you using? How do you charge your customer for maintenance (pruning, dead heading, etc)?

What do you estimate your costs to be to install and maintain color beds? It would be worthwhile to consider all these things and come up with a pricing structure based on a per square foot basis.

You should really spend some effort on your color program as it can really set you apart from your competitors. Some larger markets have companies that specialize in seasonal color bed design, install and maintenance...that's all they do....flowers.

You can make some decent margins off of color work....but it is difficult in a market area where other people are giving work away......

I charge the customer for the price of the annuals. The $10-$15 planting charge is in addition to the cost of the annuals.

I let the customer determine the color arrangement and placement. If the customer says " use your own judgment" then I will usually plant the annuals so that there are contrasting colors ( white/red, yellow/purple etc. ) in the beds. Contrasting colors stand out more and most people like the effect.

Sometimes if I have a large bed that is in an area by itself, I will flood the bed with a single color that will draw attention to it.

Bed preparation depends on the condition of the bed. If soil is needed I will add it and charge the customer extra. I add fertilizer to the beds at planting time (at the customer's expense) and if the customer doesn't want to maintain the flowers I will weed and fertilize as needed.

YardPro
12-06-2004, 08:23 AM
the more flats the less the price.
$30.00 a flat average for most beds.

for a single flat $50.00

we have one bed at a property that takes about 50 flats

we charge $20.00/flat for that one

Geezer
12-06-2004, 10:46 PM
DennisF, are you marking up the cost of the flowers to your customer ?

YardPro, tell me how you are so much more labor efficient on the large job that you are dropping your price? Does it not take the same amount of time to get the plants in the ground?

YardPro
12-08-2004, 11:02 PM
no, but is spreads the time spent getting the materials to the jobsite between more flats. also any time you spend more time on a site your labor costs drop.

if i have to travel to a site to plant one flat I have to charge all my travel time to that one flat.
if i travel to the same site the travel time is then spread out between all the material used.

also we do not stock annuals. If i have to make a special trip to the nursery for one flat for one job, i could easially have two hours ied up in one flat.