PDA

View Full Version : New Holland LS185.b - Do changes make a difference?

p7m8
12-05-2004, 08:40 PM
The LS185.b has more power, a revised drivetrain and a new dash. Do these changes make it significantly better than the LS180?

UNISCAPER
12-05-2004, 09:22 PM
The LS180 is a doggy underpowered clumsy machine with whiney hydro motors. Anything they could do would improve that machine. When climbing a 4-1 slope with a bucket of dirt, the engine bogged way down. The foot pedals hurt my ankles, and the machine beat me to death. The lift arms on that thing made digging and precision grading near worthless. Now, if you need a lifting machine, that can dig an occasional hole or two, the LX might be OK. I demoed one last year when a salesman saw my Cats on the low boy and followed me to the job. Half a day on the thing and I called and told him to come pick the machine up we were too far behind.

Tigerotor77W
12-05-2004, 11:20 PM
p7m8: judging from the changes, the answer I would provide is a cautious no. That is to say, I haven't tried one, haven't seen one, and really have no idea just how much it was improved. However, because much of the machine remains unchanged (design and chassis), I wouldn't expect too much more. BUT -- the engine does have significantly more power and should probably provide more torque as well, probably on par with the lugging ability of the Ls190. I'm not sure the 190.B has changed much in that sense.

If you are looking at one, try it out. I highly doubt the controls will ever be as smooth as Cat's are, but now that NH and Case are assimilating a bit more, I wouldn't be surprised if Case's design (or an upgraded Case design) appeared in the NH machines as well. Give the machine a try. The Ls180 was pretty outdated (main reason, imo, many contractors decided to go for a similar size, bigger capacity 190), but this one could be different.

Tigerotor77W
12-06-2004, 02:57 PM
I don't know if you have seen this:

http://www.conexpoconagg.com/_media/commerce/merchant_7786/rad6194E.pdf

UNISCAPER
12-06-2004, 03:10 PM
Sounds like they are headquartered in the old Fiat/Allis plant off North Avenue in Carol Stream Illinois.

Tigerotor77W
12-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Yup, they are.

ksss
12-07-2004, 09:44 PM
Interestingly the NH skid steers are made in the same plant (Witchita, Ks) as the CASE machines. As much as I really don't like to admit it, the reason the NH machine is basically unchanged is it sells. Personally I think the machine sucks, I always have and probably always will. When I toured the plant they will point out the difference in axle diameters, frames, ect of the two different skid steer lines. The CASE is a lot more machine. I say that not because I run them but when you see the components side by side you see it is true. However, NH has a loyal following and they are cheap to buy. Here, they are real popular with concrete guys. They use them to move their forms around. I would estimate 75% of them here run NH. An example. I have a customer who runs a landscape company. He has an LS180. He hated it and so did his help. He wanted to trade his and looked into a 70XT. He priced Case and NH. NH practically traded him straight across into a new LS180 for his 500 hr NH. His guys hate the new one worse than the old one. I asked why would you buy another machine just like the one you hate? He said he couldn't afford not to take the deal. Not my way of thinking but...

Tigerotor77W
12-08-2004, 12:03 AM
Yup, other companies feel the same way. I've got landscape contractors running NH into the ground... and I can't really figure out why. They lift a ton and are sold dirt cheap -- no joke. But to each his own -- some love 'em. It's good for CNH because it profits from all that NH making. Grr...

p7m8
12-08-2004, 12:38 PM
Why do people hate NH so much? I use mine for loading logs and snow removal. I've been using an LS180 for three years and haven't had any problems. I just bought a new one with cab, heat, two-speed, root grapple, and low profile bucket for $28,000 so I agree that they are reasonably priced.

p7m8
12-15-2004, 06:36 PM
I just talked to my NH salesman. He said that the new machines aren't that different. The computer is different now: it won't shut down the engine if something gets low or overheats. He complained to NH about this cost cutting change. There will be joystick controls available in about a year, electric over hydraulic. The motor will be one made by the NH/Case/Cummins venture.

Tigerotor77W
12-15-2004, 07:08 PM
I just talked to my NH salesman. He said that the new machines aren't that different. The computer is different now: it won't shut down the engine if something gets low or overheats. He complained to NH about this cost cutting change. There will be joystick controls available in about a year, electric over hydraulic. The motor will be one made by the NH/Case/Cummins venture.

Hmm; interesting. I'm not surprised with the joysticks -- probably adopt a Case-type control unit. As for the engine... kinda odd then that the new Cases are going Iveco, unless the NH will be, too.