PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Like ther PG spreader???

lndscpe
12-06-2004, 02:06 AM
Just curious to see if anyone likes or would recommend the purchase of a Magnum Perma Green Spreader. I live about 5 miles from where they are manufactured and was seriously considering the purchase of one, but after the comments on this site I have reservations and have since called LT Rich for information on the Z spreader. Any reasons to even consider the Magnum? Thanks for any info, just would like to get the best use of the green $$$ payup

philk17088
12-06-2004, 07:53 PM
I think it depends if which is best suited to your needs. The z-spray is too big for me to get economical use out of it. I have a perma green I bought this fall and I like it for the most part. It fits the majority of lawns I do. I don't like some of the design but it hasn't hindered my applicating one bit.
Evaluate what size lawns you will be doing and base your decision on your needs, budget,etc. not what everybody else is using.

rob1325
12-06-2004, 08:28 PM
I love my PG's. They do have there problems like any other machine, but would definately reccommend one. The new machine looks like they made some very nice improvements. I could not do without them, they are time savers.

rob

James Cormier
12-06-2004, 08:52 PM
I have a love/hate relationship with my 2 perma greens. They did save my business due to back problems I was suffering several years ago. For that Im thankful.

That being said, IN my past 20years running a lawn business and buying and using equipment I have never seen a product so poorly designed, manufactured and supported by a company. The only reason they have stayed in business as long as they have is because they where the only ones making that type of machine at that price point. Time and other companies (like LT Rich) will either put them out or force them to improve the quality of there machine. Many times when I complained to PG or others here, I always got the same response, " its better than walking or pushing a spreader " well driving to work is a hell of a lot better than walking to work, but that doesn't mean a car malefactor can make a flawed vehicle and sell it then use that excuse.

The magnum may have solved some problems that many people have complained about past models, but Im just not willing to take the chance, Ive spent 10k on 2 machines in the past 5 years and I could not see myself spending another cent with them without a demo for several days, and a really good look at the machine.

I think we are only a few years away from having a lot more choices in this market, LT Rich is working on new models and Im sure some other companies will get into the mix soon.

work_it
12-06-2004, 09:08 PM
I've been considering one this last year as well. Stopped and talked with a guy this last week that was using one on a yard next to where I was mowing. He told me that they're great on anything from 1/2 acre and larger, but they wouldn't be worth it if you only have small properties. He also suggested hooking up the JRCO electric broadcast spreader on the Scag TT www.jrcoinc.com/spreader since I'm already mounting a 25gal. spray tank with a spray boom. After all, it only makes sense to take full advantage of the equipment you already have and utilize it to it's full ability.

On the other hand, I realize that a lot of chem. app. companies do not mow and therefore don't have a zero turn mower at their disposal. Just an idea for those who do.

lndscpe
12-06-2004, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the insite and thoughts, I really appreciate the time you spend on the replies, there is nothing like inside, real working help! Thanks.

Forever Green Lawn
12-06-2004, 11:14 PM
I have seen and tested the Magnum and it is a much improved machine. As for customer support, I have heard the stories but I have always had good luck dealing with John. Their products are getting better with time as most products do. I have 4 Centris and 1 Ultra and all have their flaws, but over all I feel it's a good product and I would recommend looking at the Magnum. See what fits your needs.

work_it
12-07-2004, 01:49 PM
Sorry about the bad link. This one should work. www.jrcoinc.com

TSM
12-07-2004, 03:29 PM
I have seen and tested the Magnum and it is a much improved machine. As for customer support, I have heard the stories but I have always had good luck dealing with John. Their products are getting better with time as most products do. I have 4 Centris and 1 Ultra and all have their flaws, but over all I feel it's a good product and I would recommend looking at the Magnum. See what fits your needs.

But, will the Magnum get the 11' spray pattern as they claim? Did you test the sprayer?
Thats my biggest peeve with PG. We have used Centi and Ultra and have never gotten a decent spray pattern (best we have done is 6' and that just leaves to much of an untreated spray gap between spreader pattern.

Does the new 2 gal per minute pump address that issue? And, even with a larger pump will one jet nozzle that is mounted 6-8 inches off the ground get 11'?

qps
12-07-2004, 05:37 PM

Anything is an improvement, I have used a centri the past three seasons and its been nothing but a pain in the butt, I've ordered a new z-sprayer for next spring and look forward to putting it to work.

Etlawn
12-09-2004, 12:38 AM
I dont really have any work exp with the new PG yet but they look as if they are built better and stronger. One of the guys form our PA office used the Z sprayer last season and could not be hapier witht he machine. He was also fed up with the PG's breaking down and he said his Z didnt break once and the machine is very versatile. Only problem I have heard is that the customer support is not 100% yet as they are just starting to grow and having a hard time with the demand.
Hope this helps but from past Exp witht he old PG I would vote for the small version of the Z

James Cormier
12-09-2004, 08:10 AM
I think the key to these machines will be dealer support, the first to sell their machine thru " Toro dealers " or any national dealer network will be the most successful.

When pg's started showing up in lesco's I thought that would help. Of course it didnt.

Lets face it, I hate the Idea of spending 6,7,8 grand on a machine that gets shipped to me, then some where down the line something breaks and you gotta wait for parts to be shipped and no one to fix it.

I want it to be as easy as when my truck has a problem, call the dealer, drop it off,and dont worry. Back when we mowed lawns, you bought equipment on how well your local dealer would take care of you. not so much on type of equipment , they where mostly the same.

These ride on fert machines need that.

Dman1214
12-09-2004, 10:36 AM
Jim as we discussed, be prepared to spend 30-50% more for the units if sold thru a dealer network. i think z-spray will go thru some serious growing pains sometime very soon, if not already. i am concerned about that. i plan on having spare parts on hand for the most logical repairs, however more in depth repairs will be a problem.

James Cormier
12-09-2004, 10:50 AM
Jim as we discussed, be prepared to spend 30-50% more for the units if sold thru a dealer network. i think z-spray will go thru some serious growing pains sometime very soon, if not already. i am concerned about that. i plan on having spare parts on hand for the most logical repairs, however more in depth repairs will be a problem.

Yeh, I know, but I wonder in the long run would it be cheaper that way, then rich can just build the machines and dosnt have to answer the phone to sell the product and I figure if they get a big enough dealer network going they should be able to increase the number of units sold, which I guess should make the product a little cheaper, also the dealers want more and more people walking thru there doors, to sell other stuff

green tec
12-09-2004, 07:15 PM
Hey James. I used to work for a large distributor. They work off of 40% discounts. I don't think these small manufactures could afford to go thru distribution or dealers unless they are building 1000's of these machines. And I can guarrantee you it will cost you 15 to 20% more by the time it gets to you. And most dealers I have dealt with offer little support. They just want to sell equipment and let the mfg's handle the support. Just my 2 cents.

James Cormier
12-09-2004, 10:46 PM
Hey James. I used to work for a large distributor. They work off of 40% discounts. I don't think these small manufactures could afford to go thru distribution or dealers unless they are building 1000's of these machines. And I can guarrantee you it will cost you 15 to 20% more by the time it gets to you. And most dealers I have dealt with offer little support. They just want to sell equipment and let the mfg's handle the support. Just my 2 cents.

I understand this, I wouldnt mind 15% increase to buy from my local dealers. I dissagree about small dealers offering little support. Every local dealer Ive bought equipment thru ( mostly when I was in mowing ) would bend over backwards to help me when there was a problem. Just like I bend over backwards to take care of my customers, I want to be taken care of. And I will spend my money with the company that takes care of me the best, And I let them Know this when Im doing business with them not always price driven.