PDA

View Full Version : Mulching by yard

Slcareco
12-06-2004, 10:42 AM
With a 65.00/yard price is delivery included if the company charges? or even if its free or would it be 65/yard + delivery charge?

MMLawn
12-06-2004, 11:02 AM
This is the same question you ask in another thread last week. But if you are talking about charging the customer $65 a yard Installed for mulch that is already a Top Dollar Price for that job (as many charge $45 a yard) so I don't believe you could also justify a charge for delivery fee on top of that also.

Even though your profile says 2 years experience, based on the questions you ask it also seems to me that your true experience in the full service green industry (things other than just pushing a lawn mower) is very limited so you might actually want to work for someother LCO for a year or so and get some very valuable experince at their expense instead of yours.

Slcareco
12-06-2004, 11:34 AM
I'm just learning the whole do it myself thing cause i have worked for other LCO but hated it and wanted to start on my own and besides they dont go over prices with the employees they just show u how to do it

brentsawyer
12-06-2004, 01:43 PM
As stated before, mulch prices vary dramatically. However, I can tell you that most will quote customers in the neighborhood of $45-65 per yard delivered and spread. Basically, customer needs 5 yards of mulch, you pick up 5 yards pay for it, bring to their property, spread it and bill them $45-65, whatever you charge.

Slcareco
12-06-2004, 02:17 PM
good deal
thanks

YardPro
12-06-2004, 08:04 PM
I'm just learning the whole do it myself thing cause i have worked for other LCO but hated it and wanted to start on my own and besides they dont go over prices with the employees they just show u how to do it

This all boils down to the need to know your overhead and actual job cost to set prices.

The FIRST THING you should do when starting a business is either take some business classes, of buy and read some books.

If you know how to figure your fixed and dynamic costs, then pricing is a no brainer.

Buy a vander Kooi jod costing book available through ALCA.

It goes into detail work methods and average times almost every type of job, and explains how to price.

Precision
12-09-2004, 10:03 PM
price of mulch

add cost of aquisition (drive time)

Add time needed to spread (modify with difficulty of terrain) times hourly rate.

final price.

Always overestimate mulch needed by 10% 20% if less than 3 yds

I usually pay $25-30 per yard bulk

I usually charge $30-40 per yard for installation. $75 minimum

If I need more than 12 yds I seriously consider subbing out to a guy with a mulch blower truck.