PDA

View Full Version : Gopher-preneur book of the month, December '04

Team Gopher
12-06-2004, 07:01 PM
Gopher-preneur book of the month, Dec. '04

http://www.gophergraphics.com/images/bemyguest.gif

Be My Guest (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0130715980/qid=1101941178/sr=2-2/ref=pd_ka_b_2_2/103-6718172-9675047) by Conrad N. Hilton (1887-1979)

What a great man, book, and adventure. Conrad Hilton is our newest hero and 'Be My Guest' has made our list of great business books. Here is a fascinating story of how a person starting off with nothing, was able to build one of the greatest hotel franchises of all time and have fun doing it.

Conrad's first experience in hotels came in 1907, when his father converted part of the family general store into a hotel to meet his financial obligations. He bought his first hotel in 1919, the Mobley, at Cisco, Texas and founded the first Hilton Hotel in 1925 in Dallas, Texas. This was the beginning of a hotel empire built in three stages: first, by leasing and renovating old hotels; next, by building new hotels on leased land, primarily in Texas; and, third, by buying existing hotels at low prices.

Here is a quote from Conrad "Your value is determined by the mold you yourself make. It doesn't take any more energy to expect to be the best housewife, the finest cook, the most capable carpenter.

It has been my experience that the way most people court failure is by misjudging their abilities, belittling their worth and value. Did you ever think what can happen to a plain bar of iron, worth about $5.00? The same iron when made into horseshoes is worth $10.50, If made into needles, it is worth $3,250.85, and if turned into balance springs for watches its value jumps to $250,000.

This is true of another kind of material - You!"

This book will surely inspire you, it inspired us. Please consider reading it and learning more about this great man.

Thank you Connie for believing in yourself, following your dreams and inspiring many new business owners around the world.

Have you read any good books lately? Please share them with us.