View Full Version : Where to go for NY licence for fertilizing?

12-06-2004, 08:40 PM
Does anyone have a link or number i can get that will lead me in the right direction to get my fertilizing licence?? thanks

12-06-2004, 09:25 PM
Check the sticky at the top of this category. Should set you in the right direction.

12-06-2004, 09:49 PM
I tried the posts referenced and many of the new york one are not working. They may have been changed after the list was compiled...too bad nice list.

I am looking to get a pesticide licence first. I am holding the bugs at bay with consumer level products on my tree farm but I think they may win unless I use the appropriate products to delivery a knock out punch.

The info is not readily available, I even tried the cooperative extension out here

12-07-2004, 10:29 AM
thanks i found a site but it seems as if you just send 450.00 and you get your licence for 3 years, is that correct? no test? :dizzy:

12-07-2004, 12:11 PM
Dont' quote me but the last time I looked you needed the following. Either work for a company doing applications/working with pesticides for 3 years. 2. Horticultural degree. There might be one more but I will look at their website. You need to take the core exam and the category exam as well. You need to pay the fee for appliator liscense. If you are a bisinesss you need to have the insurance certificate and be registered as a business with the state. Pay the fee. $450 +. And there might be a few other things. Hows that sound?

12-07-2004, 12:20 PM
This is the link to the pesticides page. Section 325.8 helps with requirements. They do not list the fees involved. Hope that helps.

Old Red
12-07-2004, 03:57 PM
Earlier this year I called the DEC and requested info on pesticide licensing. I couldn't make heads or tails of it. Asked at the DEC booth at the Farm Show in Syracuse and my understanding is you can get your commercial applicators license by taking a courses and a test. That allows you to apply pesticides, etc. in certain situations, i.e. lawns, trees, agricultural, depends on the classes you take. Problem is the availability of the basic course. It's not administered by the state and it is often given in closed sessions, not available to the public but done for employees of the big lawn companies and paid for by the big companies. They said usually there is a class open to the public given in Syracuse each January. I don't know the cost. You don't need a license to fertilize in NY but you do to use pesticides, fungicides, herbicides, etc. If you want to sell pesticides or supervise employees applying pesticides a whole 'nother set of standards applies. I think that's where the degree/experience requirements Lush & Green mentioned come into play.

turf hokie
12-07-2004, 09:21 PM
First step in the process is a 30 Hour course. Then you can take your core and category tests. Pass the core and you can immediately take the category that you want 3A for turf and ornamental, 3b for turf only are the most popular.
If you pass your 2 tests then you get a technician license. You now need to apply under someone for 3 years before you can get your full applicators license.
Some things have changed since I got mine so they give considerations for degrees and if you are going to be a business owner. I think they will forgo the 30 course if you have degree and they may forgo the 3 year period if you are the owner.
So don't hold me to it but that is what I remember.

30-hr course varies in price was 325 when I took it
license is 50 a year to renew plus recertification credits every 3 years.
biz license is 450 every 3 years
need insurance to get your biz license