PDA

View Full Version : Leaves? What about pine straw?!?!

CURB APPEAL NC
12-07-2004, 06:45 AM
Here, there are a few leaves to be picked up, but pine straw is the killer. It certainly dont blow as easily as leaves. What do you guys do about it?

walker-talker
12-07-2004, 06:49 AM
Put on the spring-tine dethatcher on the front of my Walker's deck and it's a snap. What I can't get with that, I pull out with a leaf rake where I can get to it....no problems.

CURB APPEAL NC
12-07-2004, 07:01 AM
I heard they will tair up th lawn. is that true!

macaw
12-07-2004, 07:09 AM
A Cyclone Rake will do a real good job.

HOMER
12-07-2004, 07:14 AM
Run over it with the Chopper and bag the rest with the Trac-Vac. Bagging before chopping will only clog the tube. There isn't an easy way to do it.

walker-talker
12-07-2004, 08:55 AM
I heard they will tair up th lawn. is that true!
Unless it's been recently seeded, it won't do any, if at all significant damage. For the most part, make the lawn look nice. Fluffs up the grass and pulls up any loose debris.

Carolina Cutter
12-07-2004, 10:15 AM
Here, there are a few leaves to be picked up, but pine straw is the killer. It certainly dont blow as easily as leaves. What do you guys do about it?

Well since I am in Fayetteville I will tell you what I do. I use my Exmark and mulch it and when it gets really small I bag it. Goes away really good but takes time.

work_it
12-07-2004, 10:26 AM
If the needles are in a relatively small area I will rake them first since I don't have a cyclone rake or dethatcher to attach to the mower. Rake them into piles and then onto a tarp. What's left over is usually easy to pick up once I put the bagger on the mower. As for the whole needles I tarp I keep them seperate since I have some customers who like to use it as mulch. Nice little way to make extra $$$ while recycling.

mcclureandson
12-07-2004, 06:58 PM
1-2 passes with mulching mower, 1-2 passes with bagging mower...

DennisF
12-07-2004, 07:12 PM
I mulch it with my Hustler. I use gator blades for pine straw and leaves and after two passes over the stuff it's dust!