PDA

View Full Version : i feel out of place here!

CURB APPEAL NC
12-07-2004, 07:17 AM
just starting out and apparently i have a toy for a mower! on a buget and am using my 48" 24hp craftsman to start with. I am lost when it comes to all the mowers that are mentioned on here... what type of mower should i be looking for in the future? I ll be doing residential and maybe a little comm. thanx

Lawnchoice
12-07-2004, 07:30 AM
Don't feel ashamed, we all started somewhere!

Starting out with a Scag/Exmark/Bobcat 36"/48" walkbehind would be something to consider. I have used all three of these and IMO they are great to start out with. Of course there are many others out there.

They not only will increase your production bigtime, they will leave a nice clean cut that you customers will love.

Good luck out there and welcome to Lawnsite.com

65hoss
12-07-2004, 09:46 AM
Use what you have while you get started. Take this time to research mowers and other equipment. Then as you get growing you know where to start on mowers. There is tons of info here about all different mower brands. No mower is perfect for everyone and every situation. Get the basic knowledge and then fine tune from there to find what you need.

TClawn
12-07-2004, 01:11 PM
go click on some of the banners at the top of the page. especially wright, exmark, hustler, bobcat, lesco and better quick 36.

out4now
12-07-2004, 01:11 PM
If you get Turf magazine which is free you can get the literature on a lot of the mowers sent straight to you. Then look at the local dealers and maybe even rent a couple when you can affoard it and see what you like. Just match machines to the size of your jobs and buy good quality stuff. It's a lot of personal preference. Ask which is best you'll get a few hundred different responses.

Mo Green
12-07-2004, 08:13 PM
Use what you have and build from there. Do lots of research on mowers that appeal to you. Set up some demos with your local dealers.

Is curb appeal your biz name?

CURB APPEAL NC
12-08-2004, 12:01 AM
some one else also has curb appeal on here so I had to add NC.

CURB APPEAL NC
12-08-2004, 12:04 AM
the full name is CURB APPEAL EXTERIOR MAINTENANCE.

pgiambat
12-08-2004, 12:27 AM
Curb,
I started out with a $99 3.5HP 21" Menards special that weighed 30 pounds. I put it in the back of my toyota corolla hatchback and cut lawns on Saturdays.

Now I run a Scag 36" Belt-Drive and a Scag 52" Hydro walk behind out of my F150 with ramps and I stick and move leaving great cuts. I load up the 36" on days I cut residentials with fences and the 52" on commercial days and residentials w/o fences.

You don't need a million-dollar setup, just a million-dollar attitude.

My buddy likes Buntons, that was the 1st commercial walk behind he used. Then he used a Toro with a T-Bar handle and he loved that one.

Find a owner-operator cutting a lawn, go up and introduce yourself and ask his opinion and maybe if you can run his mower for a minute.

Go to a big mower dealer and test-drive a couple. If I could do it all over again I would get a Hydro instead of a Belt-drive. Letting the hydro motor back that thing up is SWEET!!! A 36" belt-drive weighs 475-ish pounds.

Expert Lawns
12-08-2004, 06:39 PM
I really like the name Curb Appeal. I almost went with that name, but figured there would be a lot of people that had it. Turns out there are NONE around here.

TLM
12-08-2004, 06:46 PM
The best way to learn is to read what other LCO are doing.
go here and sign up for the best mag in LCO's..it's free

https://www.lawnandlandscape.com/pages/subscribe/sub_qualified.asp?EC=

Mo Green
12-08-2004, 10:01 PM
My business name is Curb Appeal Professional Lawn Service.