PDA

View Full Version : Bed Installation Quote

SoLong
12-07-2004, 10:19 AM
I'm installing a bed for a lawn maintenance customer. I would like to know if I'm in the ballpark on materials needed and price for install. The bed is roughly 220 sq ft. The soil and mulch will be dumped into the bed or next to the bed, and I will hand move with wheel barrow and rake smooth. I'm estimating 16-20 man hours to complete.

Estimate on Materials
6 yds top soil. 6-8" raised - $176(includes delivery)
4 yds pine mulch (part of mulch will go into existing bed). 3" deep - $105
9 Gumpo azaleas - $90
6 Dwarf Nandinas -$60
11 Stella Daylillies - $55
3 Compact Hollies - $36
6 Flats Pansies (108 plants). Not all will go into this bed. - $66

Total Materials - $629
Labor/Installation Charges - $986
Taxes- $35
Total - $1685

Appreciate any feedback.

Precision
12-09-2004, 09:57 PM
well 16-20 man hours at $50-60 per hour so far so good at least assuming it doesn't take longer.

I would mark up materials by at least 20% to cover drive, shopping and design time.

what about root toner / starter fert?

Do they have proper irrigation for the new plants?

Do they want weed screen "to stop weeds"? not that it works after the mulch decays.

Have you thought of using a more esthetically pleasing mulch, like cypress chips, shredded cypress, eucalyptus chips, everlast rubber mulch in the color of your choice, colored wood chips.

Remember pine bark floats.

As far as the topsoil goes, give the guy an extra $20 and I am sure he will make 2 or 3 strategic small dumps. Have the mulch dumped on a tarp, so you get full utility and zero clean up.

Hope it helps.

Atlantic Lawn
01-11-2005, 08:39 AM
Are those your costs or customers costs on the plants ? I have to mark all my plants up at least 100% or I'm losing money over the long run. Not sure how it anyone could prosper only makin' 20% on materials.

polecat63
01-13-2005, 06:25 PM
Going by your time and materials I'd be closer to $2000 on that job. Like ATlantic Lawn said, gotta mark up those plant to make it worth while.

wojo23323
01-13-2005, 06:56 PM
We mark up plants to retail price, which is about 75% markup.

Adamma Landscape Group
01-19-2005, 12:43 AM
Have you been awarded the contract yet or are you just bidding the job? It sounds like you have never done any installation job before. What you should do is stick with you $1685 quote and do the job. This will serve as an experience to you. Next bid you will know if you should markup the plants 100%. If you can get by marking up the plants 200% do so because if they fail your customer will ask you to replace them. Where I am the nurseries have changed the policy and will not replace plants for landscapers no more.

YardPro
01-23-2005, 09:57 AM
pine mulch AARRRGGGG.

this is a personal choice, but i will NOT use pine bark muclh. here's why

it will float and blow away.
it never "meshes) together.
pine bark has evolved as a skin on the tree. It's job is to NOT decompose, not let in water, insects, etc. therefore it does not absorb water, etc. it also does not decompose very well. We have properties we have taken over where the landscape is only a few yers old and there is 8" inches of un decomposed bine bark nuggets. it's a real pain to work in. also the large nuggets leave voids for weed seeds to germinate in, ABOVE the pre emergent layer.

the only thing good about it is that it's cheap.

but other than that sounds good.
i think your time is well covered.
if the dirt is dumped in the bed you should be able to complete the job in much less than your estimated time.

Coffeecraver
01-25-2005, 06:20 AM
Stick with the 1,685.00
Sounds like it's in the ball park.
Beware of plant warrenty.

My warrenty policy is :

If it dies within a year I will not replace it if it has died from too much water or not enough. ( Client pays for plant and install )

If it dies for any other cause I will re-plant it for free , but the client will have to buy the new plant.

:)