PDA

View Full Version : country clipper?

lampeslawnservice
12-07-2004, 10:58 AM
Anyone using or had any experiance with these mowers.
www.countryclipper.com

I wonder if the joystick controlled unit would help prevent turf damage. Seems to me on their video that it conter rotated the tires just perfectly. Boy that would be nice!

chevyman1
12-07-2004, 11:15 AM
run, run very far away and never look back. I saw them at an expo, and every landscaper and their brother said trash

mowhigh
12-07-2004, 04:26 PM
I got the Country Clipper Charger (23/52) after demoing the JAZee and Zeton (along with 9 others) following a recommendation from a Scag dealer (the Tiger and a Hustler were my other finalists). Even the 19/48 JAZee had no trouble (at slow speed with discharge chute removed) with a 3-4' tall back section that I had given up mowing long ago (and that 2 neighbors with Scags were hesitant to even try). The flip-up deck makes clean-up a snap and the joystick control is great (but felt weird the first couple of times I used it). But the joystick only frees up one hand (and makes it easier to have friends or family do your mowing for you!); it won't allow you to do anything that you can't do with twin sticks, since it uses the same parts and sensitivity/tracking adjustments. The only benefit might be with an inexperienced operator, who has trouble operating the twinsticks in tandem, since the joystick proportions both drive gears automatically. If you get carried away, you can tear up turf very easily, even with the joystick!
The major drawback with Country Clipper is that they are still developing their dealer network. For many years Shivvers built for some of the biggest names in this business (just like Auburn, now with the Everride) and face an uphill struggle in competing for quality dealers. I'm lucky that I have two good ones (including one that was dropped by two mfrs after deciding to carry CC) and a distributor nearby. For a lco, dealer support, including loaner availability, is vital. Given your location, that's probably not an issue. Do a search on here and you'll find many satisfied Country Clipper fans. Good luck!

Travis Followell
12-07-2004, 07:21 PM
I wouldn't recommend one. Someone on this site who used to be a CC dealer said they were not quality machines and they dropped them and started selling Scag. Personally I would take a Scag or any other good brand over a CC any day. JMO.

bantam
12-08-2004, 08:23 AM
YES, the joystick will AID in less turf damage when turning, especially for the novice ZTR operator. For the seasoned ZTR operator there is little difference in control as far as turf damage is concerned.

These machines are right in the hunt for quality and durability, IMHO. Give one a Demo if you can, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

(Chevyman1: Have you ever actually USED a CC, or just kicked the tires??)

Mowingman
12-08-2004, 09:25 AM
mowhigh,
What dealer in Dallas did you buy yours from?

Sneaky
12-08-2004, 08:44 PM
Anyone that runs an old Snapper or Ferris is running a cc. I have a cc and love it.

lampeslawnservice
12-08-2004, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the advice from the CC fans, I have a super z now (which I am happy with) but probably would not let any of my helpers drive due to inexperiance and their own lack of confidence. I really like the flip up deck design and the fact it is mad e in my home state. May have to make a roadtrip to check them out!

iluvscag
12-08-2004, 09:42 PM
Ur neighbors said they wouldnt touch 4 or 5 feet of grass with a scag. I was doin ditches with 7 foot of grass im a farmer and i have a 29 dfi 60 sounded like i was going through two inch grass. i think that was ur excuse to buy a cc because u dindt have enough money.

mowhigh
12-09-2004, 05:21 PM
Mowingman, I first contacted the regional distributor (Marr Bros. in Dallas) who worked closely with my nearest dealer (Tribble, less than 5 miles away in McLendon) in getting me a good deal (not being a farmer, I don't get all those government subsidies). I demoed the JAZee, Zeton and Charger (over a week on 3 different properties) and was quite surprised when the dealer pointed out that my old JD was still in pretty good shape and asked if I was sure I wanted to go with a new machine. Haven't regretted it yet. Good luck...

Envy Lawn Service
12-10-2004, 01:13 AM
i think that was ur excuse to buy a cc because u dindt have enough money.

Ah, price is a regional thing. CC's and Cub Commercial are the most expensive brands here. A new 60" Zeton will run you $8,995 + tax here. So that's out the window.

If you doubt Country Clipper then give them a demo. You'll either tell yourself what you want to hear or eat crow. I did.

You know, they are available in twin sticks nowadays.....

mowhigh
12-12-2004, 06:22 PM
Actually, the Charger (Zeton components on a JAZee frame) offered better pricing than brands of comparable quality. The 25/60 was about $6300 at the start of the season (expect deals got better as the cutting season wound down). The JAZee (at least the Two) also offered twin/joytick option, as did the Charger all along.

Envy Lawn Service
12-12-2004, 09:47 PM
mowhigh,

I missed it or forgot I guess. Which CC did you go with?

mowhigh
12-13-2004, 01:56 PM
I went with the 23/52 Charger (with joystick and Kohler) for just over $5800. The dealer and distributor later threw in the mulching kit (love it) and jack (use it if my back is acting up, but it's much quicker to just flip-up the deck yourself).

Envy Lawn Service
12-13-2004, 09:55 PM
Hey man, that's a great deal!!! I test drove the 25/60 Charger a while back. I was impressed with the build once I gave it an honest un-biased look. I was also totally amazed with the handling, especially on slopes. To beat all, this unit was also a joystick! I was just floored. It handled places most twin stick units would not. I'm really eager to get on the twin stick version when one comes in.

Anyways, I'm thinking maybe I talked with you here or elsewhere online about these mowers before? I remember someone telling me the mulch kit works really great, and what's better is that it's a discharge plug type that's quick to install/remove. Way cool!!!

I don't know what kind of grass you are cutting where you are, but how does it cut?
They seem to do well here.

Oh, and I keep meaning to ask someone.... are the blades 'common' sizes?
For the 52" that would me 18" long blades with 5/8" center hole.

Just basically checking to see if a lot of blade styles/brands will interchange for a large selection.

iluvscag
12-13-2004, 10:04 PM
ill stick with my turftiger

Envy Lawn Service
12-13-2004, 10:17 PM
ill stick with my turftiger

By all means... do so.

Just don't come on here tearing down Country Clipper without reason or because they don't 'look' like other commercial ZTR's. From what I have seen they are a worthy competitor.

bantam
12-14-2004, 08:32 AM
Envy,

Blades sizes on Country Clipper vary some from standard (sometimes).

The 52" uses an 18-3/8" long blade, with a 1/2" center hole. This allows the deck to have MORE overlap than most of the competition. More overlap leaves less chance of streaking (uncut grass) when making Z-turns.

The 60" deck uses 21" blades and the 48" deck uses 17" blades. ALL blades are 2-1/2" wide and 0.203" thick

Envy Lawn Service
12-14-2004, 10:20 PM
Thanks Bantam, very informative. I think a lot of 61" decks run 21" blades. But they are mostly 5/8" center hole. But there should still be a ton of selection from various suppliers since they are 21" long.

Thanks again!

mowhigh
12-15-2004, 08:06 PM
Yeah, bantam is our resident Country Clipper expert (along with rvrdvr, who I haven't noticed lately). I've learned a lot from them (although my local Scag pro and friend was the first to point me towards the CC line). And the extra blade overlap has reduced the occasional streaking I got with my old JD (which also provided a great cut).
Anyway, the blades ahould be pretty standard-sized, since the mulching kit comes with regular Gators (and has been great for fall leaves!). I just replaced the kit's endcap bolts with wing-nut ones and now can easily remove it in the field, if necessary (for tall, thick stuff) without any tools.
Good luck and happy holidays to all!